Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ..wow please forgive my scepticsm

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default ..wow please forgive my scepticsm

Hello, finally installed this mod after a lot of pondering. My main concern being it would be crap, not be immersive, tacky etc

but after playing a custom battle......wow. It was awesome. The sound and effects of artillery was breathtaking and horrifying, when enemy cavlary charged a stranded unit of submachine gunners I ordered them to open fire and the entire cavalry unit was decimated. It was stunning. I humbly apologise for having any doubt. My only tiny dissapointment is the campaign models are still NTW style but thats nothing to get annoyed about.

Once people managed to finally start properley modding NTW and you add tanks, proper skins for artillery this will be the best TW mod in the world, dare I say better than SS or DarthMod

anywho sorry for creating another topic but I didn't want to hijack someone elses
    Last edited by gaunty14; November 23, 2010 at 07:18 AM.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: ..wow please forgive my scepticsm

No one can escape the Great War

I'd suggest you to keep and eye on this mod, Sir, a new version will appear "soon" (so don't ask when), with finished campaign, much more units, and all that
    [Col] RO Citizen

^-^

.....so when will the new version appear?........^-^

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

As soon as the team gets banned from the Minecraft server

^-^, hope the new update will remove all vanilla looking units, ie Spanish rifle battalions use vanilla line infantry etc

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Thanks for the appreciation!

It's always good to know that there are people out there enjoying what you and others put considerable time and effort into.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

so will tanks be applied to the mod?

alos one more thing,the trenches!!!if there will be trenches included in the mod i think i woul make an altar for you guys )
    Last edited by Andreius Pretorianus; November 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM.

@OP - Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod!

Quote Originally Posted by Andreius Pretorianus View Post
    so will tanks be applied to the mod?

alos one more thing,the trenches!!!if there will be trenches included in the mod i think i woul make an altar for you guys )
    Tanks...Well in theory they can be implemented, but we are certainly a long way off of that. We're hoping to get in most of our models (artillery, guns, helmets etc.) by v5.0 (the release after 4.5 due out soon), but I think tanks may take a while longer due to animations, balancing and general working out on how to implement them.

With regards to trenches, again this is a model issue but similar to the tank problem - Can work in theory as soon as we start implementing models, but again there needs to be a bit of work about how exactly we implement them in the mod.

My guess is that tanks would be in some sort of a v6.0, with trenches possibly making it in that release too. Like I say though, it's a bit of guess work on this at the moment
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

pfff,kinda dissapointed,until the next versions will appear i will aleready be playing STW2 i think

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

And I'll stop playing S2TW to play this, after tanks, airplanes and trenches are implemented
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

i don t think airplaines will be possible to implement

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You're right there; airplanes can't be implemented at all. However, I think trenches (some kind of them) could be implemented even before v6, in like v5.5, considering Aanker's progress of mapping. They wouldn't really be elaborated trenches, but still some ditches
    [Col] RO Citizen

S2TW, if not delayed, will be out in march. I don't see any reason why update 5.0 should take until march, unless there are serious problems with the models. But of course there is always uncertainty, all I can say is we will try our best to increase the update speed.

As for airplanes, there are two ways they can be implemented:
    1) as agents similar to spies
    2) as ingame but off-map unit represented by "scouts", in a similar fashion to the new rail gun unit.
    Option 1 will be used, though option 2 is being considered for the Spanish Civil War campaign (far future).

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    ^-^, hope the new update will remove all vanilla looking units, ie Spanish rifle battalions use vanilla line infantry etc
    No, it will only remove some But be assured the update after this one will feature 100% ww1 uniforms and units
    Last edited by King Sama; November 23, 2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

my god ,you re briliant

you made my day happyer believ me with this news.

PS:whath does rail gun mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Andreius Pretorianus View Post
    PS:whath does rail gun mean?

Rail gun
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

You need to get the paris gun to be able to bombard paris!

TWG is actually opposite of a lot of mods: mods like SS and RS II tones down the action, while TWG is like: We can make arty fire every 10 secounds, rifles fire every 5, and make a hell of a battlefield!
    Only problem: Campaign sucks since it doesnt reflect the historical trench war and you can blitz the enemy. also battleships arent in it yet. Its fine for me as the action is good which seems like CA's selling point for every tw game.

Quote Originally Posted by a tw player View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rail gun
    oh my god....I love German rail guns they are so awesome. Are you going to have some sort of ultra seige gun like "Big Bertha"

Once we get campaign models for armies I will be a very happy bunny ^-^

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    oh my god....I love German rail guns they are so awesome. Are you going to have some sort of ultra seige gun like "Big Bertha"

Once we get campaign models for armies I will be a very happy bunny ^-^
    Hehe, well I remember some time ago there was some talk of creating some sort of siege gun unit in game, but the idea was put aside due to a mixture of balancing problems, and the fact that for all these offensive weaponry, there needs to be some sort of counter balance for the defending side (particularly since the inclusion of the new railgun unit). As soon as we get in fully functioning and effective trench models, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up implementing siege guns to help punch a whole through the newly bolstered defending lines
    My specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuri View Post
    TWG is actually opposite of a lot of mods: mods like SS and RS II tones down the action, while TWG is like: We can make arty fire every 10 secounds, rifles fire every 5, and make a hell of a battlefield!
    Only problem: Campaign sucks since it doesnt reflect the historical trench war and you can blitz the enemy. also battleships arent in it yet. Its fine for me as the action is good which seems like CA's selling point for every tw game.
    Lol, I guess i'll take that as a compliment for TGW

As for campaign, startpos v2 (believe me the delay is most definitely worth it) will improve much on the campaign. The biggest issues with the campaign atm is that 1) there are no starting armies, and 2)germany is too weak. But until v2, i would suggest to play as germany and resist the urge to rush the enemy until they get a chance to build up. I've had several realistic front scenarios, on both sides. A rash advance can mean isolation and destruction. As for battleships, no, but Aanker's naval overhaul did quite a lot to make the battles as ww1ish as possible.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

May I point out that the AI is awesome, so long as you let them build up. Ive let them build up (only taking Alsace, and had realistic stagnation, making Belgium my only hope (which I conquerd, completing the Shleiffen Plan ) and with Russia, it was a roving army sort of thing, due to the amount of space available, until the russians sent several stacks in a coordinated offensive that took the fight all the way to Berlin! Oh and BTW, Aanker did an incredible job (There are even Torpedoes! )

Now if we can just get Mitch off of Minecraft...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast