Thread: Yo RoP players...faction selection?

Default Yo RoP players...faction selection?

I hate these topics, but what faction do you suggest I play? I should have some free time fairly soon and need a good campaign. I like basically any sort of faction...obviously I'd play as Baktria but that's for next version

Factions that are out:
    Sparta - em
    Persia - won already
    Bessoi - *sniff* so many good memories, don't want to spoil them :3

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: Yo RoP players...faction selection?

Kemet. Awesome. Difficult.

Agreed with Kemet. Also, I'd be curious to see someone play the Lydians, since when they are controlled by the AI, they always get dominated by the Ionians.

Kinda strange if you think about it; they've got a way more advanced unit roster.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Kemet or maybe Mada(I personaly have never played for them)

I chose Kemet, any tips? Besides learning how to speak their moon language?

Eliminate Kyrene before they have the chance to fill uber-1337 armies . After that, it's basically expanding towards Nubia and Saba while keeping some armies up near the Sinai to discourage invaders. The reason why I go for Kush and Saba is because those lands are almost never invaded by other nations (when you have them, they're basically in your back garden, only accessible by Egypt, which is your centre of government and recruiting) and are pretty rich.

lol, wish I read this before I went to Gaza and got invaded by the Babylonians.

I suppose I'll do my best. Legit roster of Kemet, though. Still not exactly sure how to handle chariots...they seem to die really quickly.

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

Eliminate Kyrene before they have the chance to fill uber-1337 armies . After that, it's basically expanding towards Nubia and Saba while keeping some armies up near the Sinai to discourage invaders. The reason why I go for Kush and Saba is because those lands are almost never invaded by other nations (when you have them, they're basically in your back garden, only accessible by Egypt, which is your centre of government and recruiting) and are pretty rich.
    Yeah, that is definately the way to do it- the first time I played as the Kemet I invaded Babylon right off the bat. I won one prryhic victory and then my campaign was over. As long as you blitz west to Kyrene immediately you are good to go.
    lol, wish I read this before I went to Gaza and got invaded by the Babylonians.
    I suppose I'll do my best. Legit roster of Kemet, though. Still not exactly sure how to handle chariots...they seem to die really quickly.
    Yeah, the chariots are fairly useless. I just use them to chase routers.

So far I'm holding my own against the Babylonians...allied with Mada, Lydia, and Persia. Kush just invaded and I have two full stacks and hope I can hold. Sorry if no one really cares about my campaign...I just like RoP

Thanks for the advice all, massive +rep orgy all round

Chariots are mainly a psychological weapon; running them around behind the enemy's line while it's engaged with yours drops morale a lot. Never charge them when they still have ammo left, as they, unlike other missile cavalry, aren't able to attack with their secondary weapon (swords) correctly if they still have ammo. You're good to charge once they're out of ammo, though. Gives quite a morale shock

I suggest you play as Ionia because at the you have conquer the lydia(pretty strong faction) with i settlent and poor resoure, also you will have to with stand the persian after they conqrer media and babylonia so they pretty much king of the world

Well, Ionia has hoplites. That ruines everything.

Now don't come to me with "Kemet has them too". Kemet has hoplites that look way cooler! They're like 3 centuries ahead with their linothorax

Prince of Judah's Avatar Senator

I've found the Persian campaign to be more difficult than I expected. I haven't played it in awhile. Babylon and some other nearby faction i can't recall made it impossible for me to make any progress. I used alex exe so I'm not sure if that effects ai bonuses. It seems like the ai gets free stacks or something.
    Last edited by Prince of Judah; December 08, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Alex actually gives a better AI, which makes things more difficult.
    My strategy is always the same: Blitz Media, then take Babylon and Lydia while simultaneously taking the east. Works perfectly if you use the correct battle formation (correct formation (less than) 10% deaths on 100% kills)

Play as Kush when RoP 3 comes out. They have a good selection of infantry and archers, they start out with very wealthy lands, secure borders, and early expansion into Egypt and Saba. I've often noticed while playing as Babylon that my ally Egypt had his hands full countering the 1 stack or so coming from Kyrene, and the two stacks coming from Kush. Kyrene has one small city, far off in the distance, early expansion is almost impossible, and Kyrene always has a pitiful garrison in its capital.

I figured that if I were ever to play as Kemet again, I'd just load up a stack of crappy fighters, sail to Kyrene, and jump the city while the army is wandering in the desert. Maybe...5 turns...maybe 7. And Babylon backstabbed me when I took Gaza, unnecessary war ensued, I kicked Babylon's behind but got my head stomped into the ground by Kush and Kyrene.