Thread: Unit size and mod compatibility

Default Unit size and mod compatibility

When I approximate the number of soldiers the opposing sides have next to each other near Hastings, you get pretty close to the actual number of combatants at the Battle of Hastings if you use the huge unit size setting. This is quite nice.
    Now as I have understood the mod is balanced on medium sized units. If I were to use large or huge the settlements will be depopulated. This can be tweaked as has been described in earlier threads. So what would be the proper global population growth bonus? 1 (i.e. 0.5%) for large scale units and 2 (i.e. 1%) for huge scale units?
    Are there other balance issues to consider?

Default Re: Unit size and mod compatibility

I'd say +1 and +2 would be good, as the AI has some trouble dealing with maxed-out settlements that keep growing. I think you'll be fine with those bonus; higher than that, and you'll have increased unrest due to squalor.

Could even a bonus of +1 suffice then for recruitment depopulation purposes at huge? I don't want squalor or maxed-out settlements, just balance and realism.

Yes, +1 should be enough for huge; you will perhaps have to be a bit more careful with small settlements.

sir, would you point me out were i do such modifications, i plan to play on huge setting too.

export_descr_buildings.txt

Add "population_growth_bonus bonus 1" to the capability section of the temple_of_mithras_shrine building, like this:

Code:
    temple_of_mithras_shrine requires factions { barbarian, hun, nomad, norman, }
    {
        capability
        {
            ; penalty to public order based on historical rebellious provinces (note that Wales and Scotland have extra unrest via DRF)
            law_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { empire_east, } and hidden_resource hotspot
            law_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { empire_east, } and hidden_resource kent

; default Customary Law setting
            religious_belief christianity 2 requires not factions { empire_east, } and not hidden_resource continent
            religious_belief pagan 3 requires factions { empire_east, } and hidden_resource continent

; bonus to construction time to portray Norman building skill
            construction_time_bonus_defensive bonus 50 requires factions { empire_east, }
            construction_time_bonus_other bonus 50 requires factions { empire_east, }

; penalty to tax and trade for the English to offset their many regions
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { saxons, }
            taxable_income_bonus bonus -70 requires factions { saxons, }

; penalty to English to portray less ruly northern regions of England
            law_bonus bonus -2 requires factions { saxons, } and hidden_resource northumbria

; penalty to Welsh and Scots to portray unruly homelands
            law_bonus bonus -6 requires factions { goths, } and hidden_resource wales
            happiness_bonus bonus -2 requires factions { goths, } and hidden_resource wales
            law_bonus bonus -3 requires factions { alemanni, } and hidden_resource alba
            happiness_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { alemanni, } and hidden_resource alba

; bonus to law for the Normans to offset the huge culture/'religion' penalties
            law_bonus bonus 3 requires factions { empire_east, }

; global law reduction
            law_bonus bonus -1

; increase in pop. growth and income to speed up game - Scots get less, due to high income
            population_growth_bonus bonus 1
            population_growth_bonus bonus 4 requires not factions { alemanni, goths, }
            population_growth_bonus bonus 3 requires factions { goths, }
            population_growth_bonus bonus 2 requires factions { alemanni, } and hidden_resource alba
            population_growth_bonus bonus 3 requires factions { alemanni, } and not hidden_resource alba
            taxable_income_bonus bonus 50 requires factions { hun, } and hidden_resource scandinavia
            taxable_income_bonus bonus 40 requires factions { hun, } and not hidden_resource scandinavia
            taxable_income_bonus bonus 30 requires factions { goths, } and hidden_resource wales
            taxable_income_bonus bonus 20 requires factions { goths, } and not hidden_resource wales
            ;taxable_income_bonus bonus 10 requires factions { alemanni, } and hidden_resource alba
            taxable_income_bonus bonus 10 requires factions { alemanni, } and not hidden_resource alba
            taxable_income_bonus bonus 150 requires factions { empire_east, } and hidden_resource continent
            taxable_income_bonus bonus 100 requires factions { empire_east, } and not hidden_resource continent
            trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { empire_east, }

; decrease in pop. growth when max city level achieved
            population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires not factions { norman, barbarian, } and building_present_min_level core_building governors_palace
            population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { barbarian, } and building_present_min_level core_building governors_palace and not resource lead and not hidden_resource earldom_capital
            population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { barbarian, } and building_present_min_level core_building proconsuls_palace and resource lead or factions { barbarian, } and building_present_min_level core_building proconsuls_palace and hidden_resource earldom_capital
            population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { norman, } and building_present_min_level core_building proconsuls_palace

; pop growth bonus for marcher lordships lower than city level
            population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { norman, } and not building_present_min_level core_building governors_palace and building_present temple_of_leadership 
        }