Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A modder's guide to errors

Faridus's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: A modder's guide to errors

i've been playing with some files lately and trying to change some settlements ownerships. it seemed it worked fine, but when i quit the game, i get this error:

any idea what i did wrong and what i should fix?
    thank you for your help.
    actually when i looked at the EDB file at line 6317, column 3...it was the very end of the file...nothing special there...

Athkara's Avatar Tiro

Well, it says the culture database and edb database don't match; so my guess is that you accedentally deleted the entry for huge city for the Roman culture in descr_cultures.txt -- and thus, as the report says, the culture database has large city is the max for Romans. I think.
    260 BC: Asia ton Barbaron - submod for EB ------- Yuezhi/Wusun historian and mapper
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview I
    Asia ton Barbaron Map Preview II

thank you athkara for your response,
    i've been staring at the descr_cultures.txt file for hours, i still couldn't figure it out.

what i did is switch a faction from greek culture to a roman one.
    so my guess is that you accedentally deleted the entry for huge city for the Roman culture in descr_cultures.txt -- and thus, as the report says, the culture database has large city is the max for Romans...
    my descr_cultures.txt file shows both roman and greek cultures have huge cities. in fact when i switched factions, i didn't mess with that file, i only changed some data in descr_strat.txt. it shows my new faction in the right place with the roman culture just like i wanted it.

what puzzles me is the "script error in data/EDB, at line 6317, column 3"...when i go and look for that coordinate in the EDB file, i get to line 6317, but there is no lie 3...there is only line 2!!!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Your core (government) buildings are not synch'd with your other building trees in EDB in regard to factional/cultural prerequisites. Check DS too in case you need to change that.

It reports the very end of the file some times, but it does so in error.

What did you change?
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; June 22, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

thanks master of none,

alright, what i changed is this:
    i wanted to make a fictional faction with roman culture in tingitania. so i decided to use a smal faction (originally the scipiones, or scipii like rtw calls it, which in this current mod was greek) to create my fictional one with only one province.

so, i went to DS and moved around armies, characters and tingi was given to my new fictional faction, with characters and all. that worked fine. then went to descr_sm_factions and changed this:
    faction romans_scipii
    culture greek
    symbol models_strat/symbol_scipii.CAS
    rebel_symbol models_strat/symbol_slaves.CAS
    primary_colour red 35, green 95, blue 175
    secondary_colour red 35, green 95, blue 175
    to
    faction romans_scipii
    culture roman
    symbol models_strat/symbol_scipii.CAS
    rebel_symbol models_strat/symbol_slaves.CAS
    primary_colour red 165, green 20, blue 20
    secondary_colour red 165, green 20, blue 20
    that's when i get that error message each time i quite the game.
    i didn't change anything in the EDB file.

There probably are some buildings that were previously listed as available for "greeks" (and therefore romans_scipii) that are no longer available to them, as their new culture is "roman". For instance, if the "roman" factions were limited to large city and you had set a building available fro romans_scipii that required a huge city to be built, that would cause a problem. You'll have to make sure stuff like that are correct.

thanks to all of you,
    i have finally fixed the issues.
    i added "roman_scpii" to some building trees in EDB and tried the game, quit and no errors.
    again thank you for taking the time to help.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

@ Nero666: I think the problem you have is that there is a limit to how many units can be recrutible in a single city, not how many units the faction has.
    Nero's issue has been related to brigands rebels, so it isn't possible what you say here, as brigands aren't related to a rebel subfaction or settlement uprising, as they are spawned always outside of settlements.

Wait, my comment is only valid, unless they (brigands) aren't coded in descr_regions attached to a region, of course.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Generic error;

Insufficient video memory for requested texture set.
    I got this yesterday so went on a hunt for possible causes, incorrect path to a texture was one suggestion (might be MTW2 related only), another (more likely) was a wrongly saved texture ie; not ''interpolated alpha'' which could cause an overload.

Mine was sprite related, I forgot to convert them from '.tga' to '.dds' files before I renamed them '.tga.dds' .

opps.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

I'm trying to mod in the Romano-British in Barbarian Invasion. I already have the Romano-British in the campaign map and controlling Britannia Superior as well as Britannia Inferior. I can end turn fine, but for some reason, it crashes (CTDs) when I click on the faction icon (where you access the financial, provincial, and family tree menus).

Any clue as to what may be wrong? Thanks.

Are roman rebels (east or west) "alive" at that time?

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

No, only the Western Roman Empire, Romano-British, and Eastern Roman Empire. Those are the only Roman factions alive.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Okay. I just remembered that earlier I have this type of error when adding 2extra level for ports (added warport & warharbour). Probably the port level were hardcoded to 3 levels only and I create another tree under name of naval_port which place the 2 extra ports entries.
    I very much doubt it. Roma Surrectum has 5 levels for the ports(the 3 vanilla ones and 2 more) and I have added a 4th level in my game that works just fine. You probably screwed something else in there.

I realize the post was old, but just for the record...

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

the name 'Cisantaxma' (in vanilla descr_names) has a . after it which probably causes Ctd's (no err msg)..

She's in the Parthian (female) list.

Thanks to Salvor for pointing that out.

If a slave general doesn't have a sub-faction, it causes a errorless CTD upon load the campaign.

Expand your borders, a mod based on XGM 5.

About the mistakes with the names in vanilla. There are several female names that are used in descr_names with an accent while in names.txt are used in a short form. For example:
    in descr_names:
    Code:
    		Chloë
    		Atë
    		Thoë
    in names :
    Code:
    {Chlo}			Chlo
    {At}			Atë
    {Tho}			Thoë
    There are several others. I recommend you do a search with tornnight`s name verifier:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85734

Also, in vanilla BI the alemanni(the whole list of names) is mentioned 4 times! And the 4 lists are identical.
    And three names might have slight issues in BI:
    Adalbert is mentioned for one of the alemanni lists iirc with a space after it in descr_names.
    Hujr_ibn al_Harith is lacking the _ after ibn in descr_names_lookup
    Yabgu Roila also lacking the _ between the two words in descr_names_lookup
    The lookup file might not be used, but I`ve mentioned it none the less.
    Last edited by florin80; August 24, 2008 at 07:20 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Although I still need to confirm, it appears that if a region isn't listed in descr_mercenaries it isn't possible to build watchtowers or forts in the region.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

That would be interesting to know - though I cannot think how the two would be associated...

Don't watchtowers and forts have problems being built due to errors connected with broken elements caused by disasters...there was some more detailed discussion of it somewhere in the past couple of months but I forget where.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

I think you're refering to the issue with floods in a region. If a region experiences a flood, movement, fort building, watchtower buiding are affected in that region for the rest of the campaign.

This came up as a bug report in RS1.5b, a user reported not being able to build a fort, but after adding the region to descr_mercenaries and re-generating map.rwm they were able to build a fort again.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Does it not work by regenerating the map.rwm alone? Or are you saying it never happens in the first place if the region exists in the merc pools?

Seems strange. I'd have to check it out some time or have confirmation

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast