Thread: Discussion: The Conduct of War

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Discussion: The Conduct of War

In light of recent events (see spoiler) I think that it might be necessary to open a discussion regarding the rules on the conduct of war, or even PvP in general.

[Published on the development blog] Update coming early next week:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Status of SMP Health

The few hours I’ve been able to work today, I tried getting SMP Health as complete as possible. It will be released early next week.
    Here’s the status:
    * Send attack network data: DONE
    * Add the ability to attack other entities: DONE
    * Implement falling damage: NOT STARTED
    * Implement respawning for dead players: PARTIALLY DONE (there are bugs with the player keeping the current location in some circumstances instead )
    * Make eating food regenerate health: DONE
    * Send health updates to the players: DONE
    The “attack entities” code is done on a general level, so you can hurt animals, monsters, boats, carts and even other players.
    There are a couple of other tweaks in the next update as well:
    * Fix leaves. Again: DONE
    * Optimize the lighting update slowdowns: STARTED
    * Make players riding carts or boats a long way receive terrain updates: DONE
    * Fix the block re-spawning bug: NOT STARTED
    * Add “pvp” toggle flag to the server settings: NOT STARTED.

In order to get this structured, I suppose that we have a few core questions that have to be answered before any rules can be established:
    What are our ambitions with PvP on the TWC server?
    What is the 'definition' of PvP?
    Should 'official' wars between different factions of players in the wilderness be allowed?
    Can war be declared at any time?
    Can a player conquer property and/or land from another player?
    Should raiding, in the form of entering a wilderness construction and stealing stored contents, be allowed?
    etc.

All these are questions that, if left unresolved, could ignite serious conflicts upon the introduction of PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: Discussion: The Conduct of War

We should close this as Josstwc opened the exact same thread

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    We should close this as Josstwc opened the exact same thread
    I'll re-post the questions on his thread, moderator may close this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

No I think we can still use this thread.

We can use the other for simple pvping in the wilderness, but we can use this one for Kingdom wars.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Poach's Avatar Civitate

This should remain inactive for now, because we don't even know what the rules are for PvP. Everyone was either happy with the current rules or didn't even read them until the possibility of actually having to PvP came about.