Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pvp announced early next week- Servers attitude

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Default Pvp announced early next week- Servers attitude

Status of SMP Health

The few hours I’ve been able to work today, I tried getting SMP Health as complete as possible. It will be released early next week.
    Here’s the status:
    * Send attack network data: DONE
    * Add the ability to attack other entities: DONE
    * Implement falling damage: NOT STARTED
    * Implement respawning for dead players: PARTIALLY DONE (there are bugs with the player keeping the current location in some circumstances instead )
    * Make eating food regenerate health: DONE
    * Send health updates to the players: DONE
    The “attack entities” code is done on a general level, so you can hurt animals, monsters, boats, carts and even other players.
    There are a couple of other tweaks in the next update as well:
    * Fix leaves. Again: DONE
    * Optimize the lighting update slowdowns: STARTED
    * Make players riding carts or boats a long way receive terrain updates: DONE
    * Fix the block re-spawning bug: NOT STARTED
    * Add “pvp” toggle flag to the server settings: NOT STARTED.
    http://notch.tumblr.com/

So whats going to be the servers attitude to this? I presume it should be banned except with the agreement of both parties. Fall damage will be interesting though.

Also the underground will work and we will be able to mine again .

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: Pvp announced early next week- Servers attitude

BANNED. If not agreed by both parties, can be used in spleef match if both parties agree.
    Guess this will be the end of swimming in the lava falls

Ascarona's Avatar Praeses

OH GOD YES! I CAN'T WAIT TO KILL AKAR!
    Inside the city limits there will be no pvping, in the wilderness we're free to do whatever we like. At least that was the rules of the first try, but that's probably going to change.
    Although this will interfere with my castle construction...
    And thank god he fixed the leaves.
    “Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

why not have a region designated for war and PVP. i envision sieges and legions of miners being slaughtered and its glorious. By the way, i thought it said blocks werent fixed?
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you F___ with me, I'll kill you all.
    - Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Nostalgia aint as good as it used to be

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

I suppose that we have a few core questions that have to be answered before any rules can be established:
    What are our ambitions with PvP on the TWC server?
    What is the 'definition' of PvP?
    Should 'official' wars between different factions of players in the wilderness be allowed?
    Can war be declared at any time?
    Can a player conquer property and/or land from another player?
    Should raiding, in the form of entering a wilderness construction and stealing stored contents, be allowed?
    etc.

All these are questions that, if left unresolved, could ignite serious conflicts upon the introduction of PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle_mole View Post
    why not have a region designated for war and PVP. i envision sieges and legions of miners being slaughtered and its glorious.
    You mean making it TOTAL WAR That does sound like fun, and if we are ever to make a new server i would suggest dividing pvp and not along the north south line. But here i dont know where it would be

Quote Originally Posted by Aanker View Post
    I suppose that we have a few core questions that have to be answered before any rules can be established:
    What are our ambitions with PvP on the TWC server?
    Having fun
    What is the 'definition' of PvP?
    Killing other players, and their property
    Should 'official' wars between different factions of players in the wilderness be allowed?
    YES in pvp regions
    Can war be declared at any time?
    Yes in PVP region
    Can a player conquer property and/or land from another player?
    Yes in pvp region
    Should raiding, in the form of entering a wilderness construction and stealing stored contents, be allowed?
    etc.
    In pvp region

All these are questions that, if left unresolved, could ignite serious conflicts upon the introduction of PvP.
    Last edited by Makrell; November 20, 2010 at 02:03 PM.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Personally, i'd outlaw PvP almost completely. It's clear many people are constructing things in the wilderness and I doubt they'd want to be ganked while working on their projects. However. I would construct two community buildings to rectify this. Firstly, an Arena, where people can agree to combat (different from the Spleef one, as you'd be fighting the other instead of dropping them down). Secondly, a dedicated PvP area. Either in the form of a maze of underground tunnels or say two opposing castles, where people can attack others as they please.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Musthavename View Post
    Personally, i'd outlaw PvP almost completely. It's clear many people are constructing things in the wilderness and I doubt they'd want to be ganked while working on their projects. However. I would construct two community buildings to rectify this. Firstly, an Arena, where people can agree to combat. Secondly, a dedicated PvP area. Either in the form of a maze of underground tunnels or say two opposing castles, where people can attack others as they please.
    Sounds good

In my opinion, PvP should be allowed in areas not within sight of wilderness constructions (a road might be counted as such, meaning that there will be no highwaymen). With this form of basic PvP, there would at least be a thrill (and danger) in exploring lands away from other players.

Wars should be allowed only on mutual agreement by the two factions, and battles may take place anywhere that is not on the lands of uninvolved players or within sight of the city. Wars cannot end in the conquest of a structure (because that might cause unwanted postbellum conflicts), but can decide other matters, such as land ownage, construction rights, looting, etc., depending on the agreement between the two factions. Wars should be seen as 'challenges' where both leaders fight on terms and conditions established by agreement prior to the engagement.

Be it during basic PvP or war, all the normal rules apply. No destruction or disturbing of property (building stairs to scale walls included). In even simpler words: only use your sword.

Spawning military items - swords, armour etc. - should not be allowed, at least not during times of war.

PS. More on war:

Once a player has died in a war between two players, he may not take up arms again and rejoin the ongoing conflict. This is to prevent battles from becoming pointless teleportation-fests (unless TPing is banned during war).

A player may resign from the war. This will make him unable to rejoin the conflict, but spare him of being killed by enemies.
    Last edited by Aanker; November 20, 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

I think looting and being a highwayman sounds very fun. It would add a layer of danger to doing anything out there. Maybe create a band of warriors to protect you, maybe have to pay for them. i want violence!

how would castles and siege work if even possible. Its so easy to mine stuff a castle or wall is practically useless. Unless you made obsidian walls. badass looking and strong, hmmm......
    Last edited by Pickle_mole; November 20, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you F___ with me, I'll kill you all.

Nyxos's Avatar when in doubt, doubt.

why not wall off a whole part of the world and that be a warzone, since the minecarts will be fixed, travelling will be made much easier
    Patronized by Hader.

Sounds good^

Im thinking a wall of obsidian with a layer or two of sand/gravel that goes down quite a way so the sand would drop as a warning to mining under your walls.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Good luck ever changing your obsidian castle, it will take you 15 seconds to break a block....

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The rules on PvP are already clear: None inside the city, the Wilderness is fair game. These are the rules I will be following. PvP will not extend to structures: any damage done to another player's project will still count as griefing.

That said, attention must therefore be given to the /tp command, as ganking via this method is most unsportsmanlike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangerman View Post
    Good luck ever changing your obsidian castle, it will take you 15 seconds to break a block....
    thats the point. Blue prints bud.

Mangerman's Avatar Only the ladder is real

Hehe, but I am sure you will misplace a block every once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    The rules on PvP are already clear: None inside the city, the Wilderness is fair game. These are the rules I will be following. PvP will not extend to structures: any damage done to another player's project will still count as griefing.

That said, attention must therefore be given to the /tp command, as ganking via this method is most unsportsmanlike.
    The problem with having no rules at all regarding PvP, especially in the context of wars and raids, is that it would bias the entire server towards those with lots of time on their hands, and make the city the only real place where players can find peace.

For instance, most players going out into the wilderness constructing new buildings and such, do so because they wish to avoid the presence of other players, or simply can't accomplish their 'construction dreams' in the city. It would be unfair to brush all those players aside, and make their plots of land in the wilderness essentially free-for-all. Players are also online on differing times; entering another player's fortress and grabbing his entire stock of diamonds would be no problem for an attacker on an advantageous time zone.

Using the Golden Rule as the single guideline for PvP is insufficient. Players will constantly push the bounds on what is included under its words.

I propose a rule change, if these are the current rules. We need rules for PvP, and they need to be clear. If you want to make war, fight epic battles and conquer fortresses in the wilderness with other, like-minded players, you should be able to, but if you are more peacefully sinned and is only out for the sheer enjoyment of building something huge - undisturbed - you should be able to do that as well. I think this should be our basic principle on PvP.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Absolutely no PvP is permitted within sight of The City.
    That is the only rule regarding PvP, and the only rule I support. The wilderness is the wilderness for a reason, if you want to wander off and build your own, unregulated stuff it should come with an element of risk.

It's not like you lose anything, because spawning is allowed. Nor will you even be ambushed, because your name floats above you to be seen for miles around.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

So its either Have your building space and variety limited

Or

Get killed

withfriend2's Avatar Tiro

an ambush would still be mildly effective with bows and arrows but i like the element of risk of building in the wilderness.

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast