Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: CA please fix the visiors of the Old Guard

Default Re: CA please fix the visiors of the Old Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nicholas Altman View Post
    Watching these pictures really makes you wonder how did they mess this up.
    Well as I recall Lusted put his hand up to this one and admitted that he passed the wrong concept art to the 3D modellers. It seems the Old Guard were given the uniforms of the Imperial Guard Foot Artillery.

However, why it hasn't been corrected since is another question.

Hi

Surely if CA has any spare resource it should be applied to fixing the moronic game AI, rather than sorting out some trivial, superficial feature like wrong bearskin cords?

Perhaps one or two of you chaps need to throw open those curtains and get out a bit more?

Or have I been duped? Is this a spoof thread, and nobody could seriously be so concerned about such insignificant considerations?

Which is it?

Best regards
    Victor

Sapere aude
    Horace

It not just the bearskin cords its the entire uniform, and its not just that unit (although being probably the most famous of all one would have thought it would be right) but a wide variety of units across every faction.

In itself getting the uniforms right does not affect gameplay, however, it is indicative to the amount of attention to detail given to the game as a whole including the AI. In simplistic terms getting the uniforms right is probably the easiest thing to achieve given the wealth on reference material available. If they have failed to achieve even that, either through bad research or muddled design processes then what hope is there that they will ever produce a decent AI.

At least if the uniforms are right the video artists amongst us can produce some decent youtube footage

Sir Nicholas Altman's Avatar Campidoctor

Yeah. True. Thats why I play MPCs cause AI is moronic. But I still got those visiors bugging me.

I really wish someone made a re-skin pack compatible with MP.
    Last edited by Obvious Spycrab; November 28, 2010 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah! I'm assuming its the MP customers who suffer the most from this sort of thing as most SP modders have already provided reskins.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    Yeah! I'm assuming its the MP customers who suffer the most from this sort of thing as most SP modders have already provided reskins.
    I suffer thats true.

So any word from CA? Couls you make the national guard recruitable in France, too? Thats a stupid bug too.

Well, not many people know about these small details, and, i myself think the old guard look great in game, simply because i have no idea what they looked like actually, so have nothing to compare the ingame old guard to.

Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes. But unfortunately a significant percentage of people who bought the game were wargamers or military history fans and they all know what the French Imperial Guard should look like. Its also the reason why issues like this suddenly became issues in ETW and NTW rather than in MTW, RTW or STW. People have rightly pointed out that historical accuracy was no greater in those earlier games than it is in these. The real difference has been that the customers care more about the historical accuracy of ETW and NTW, and therefore it matters more.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Default Re: CA please fix the visors of the Old Guard

Ignorance is bliss, as the saying goes. But unfortunately a significant percentage of people who bought the game were wargamers or military history fans and they all know what the French Imperial Guard should look like. Its also the reason why issues like this suddenly became issues in ETW and NTW rather than in MTW, RTW or STW. People have rightly pointed out that historical accuracy was no greater in those earlier games than it is in these. The real difference has been that the customers care more about the historical accuracy of ETW and NTW, and therefore it matters more.

Well said, Sir! Here are a few more pictures of the Old Guard Infantry - Grenadier & Chasseur a Pied (Russian source on Borodino 1812) to wet appetites.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; November 29, 2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: additional pictures

Ooo! my eye was caught by the second image from the left on the top row.

I recall that my Uncle had a figurine of a French Imperial Guardsman in that exact pose. It must have stood about 12" high and was immaculately detailed. I wonder what happened to it, he died years ago.

Default Re: CA please fix the visors of the Old Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    Well said, Sir! Here are a few more pictures of the Old Guard Infantry - Grenadier & Chasseur a Pied (Russian source on Borodino 1812) to wet appetites.
    Wow! Nice pics. I am a Napoleon fan since a little kid. I have the ESCI soldiers in 1/72 and the Old Guard was my favorite. I think anybody who ever saw a Napoleon movie knows that the Old Guard didn't have visiors on the bearskins. I am amazed how good the uniforms are and again stunned by this stupid mistake. I really would like that CA hears the voice of die hard fans both of TW games and Napoleonic history.

Maybe a miracle will happen and Ca will fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Nicholas Altman View Post
    Maybe a miracle will happen and Ca will fix this.
    I doubt it will be fix now. If they had considered it important they would have fixed it as soon as Lusted realised he had made a mistake, which was before the game was released.

I'm not sure why this is an issue. I think it's fair to say that 99% of the time you are looking at the overall battle field and not zoomed in onto their uniforms for some little detail. CA realise the same thing and won't make a patch that I will have to download that only fixes some hat for 1 unit
    Null

Have you not looked at the Pictures thread, or any of the many video's produced by NTW fans?

If nothing else these advertise the game to other prospective purchasers, and what impression do they get when they can see that CA can;t even get the uniform of the Imperial Guard right.

Have you not looked at the Pictures thread, or any of the many video's produced by NTW fans?

If nothing else these advertise the game to other prospective purchasers, and what impression do they get when they can see that CA can;t even get the uniform of the Imperial Guard right.
    Didz, you are a true brother!

I agree that there are more important AI issues but its something that requires years of programing while this is so easy artwork.

Well its not even that anymore. All they really need to do is copy one of the many Modded versions of the Imperial Guard in the correct uniform into the standard data file. In fact, they could probably correct most of their uniform and unit naming errors simply by copying one of the Mod packs into the main game data base. It would probably improve the AI at the same time if they took the whole content.