View Poll Results: When should the EOTR campaign start?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll

19 50.00%

19 50.00%
  • Other... Please post why you selected this

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion from the User

Default Opinion from the User

Do you think the Enemies of The Republic (Royalist, Austria, Britain, Prussia) campaign should start at 1789 or 1792. I say 1792 because thats the year all the other major nations of Europe declared war on the Republic. The Revolution campaign (the one you play as Revolutionary France) will start in 1789, but its the EOTR (Enemies of The Republic) campaign I want to ask you about. So what do you think?
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Default Re: Opinion from the User

i wanna be in the 1700's for as long as possible
    Check out my brand new British and Prussian units and much much more in Marshall Beale's new masterpiece!

Same i think it should be from 1789 so we can build up for year and play for the last decade of the century. Longer campaigns are more fun in my opinion.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

I originally argued that 1792 made more sense but the question then is when in 1792: before or after the end of the monarchy. But I see you are saying the Revolution campaign will still start in 1789. In that context, I would prefer the Allied campaign to start in 1789 to give you a chance to muster your forces before the storm gathers.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

I think later is good, because this way it's more challenging. It's not like the Austrian Emperor knew 'Hey, those French peasants are going to kick our @$$!"
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Definatly 1792 for historical accuracy.

Over the hills...

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan262 View Post
    Definatly 1792 for historical accuracy.
    yep im for 1792

Lord Horatius's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ quad ♠ View Post
    i wanna be in the 1700's for as long as possible
    Me too! What's three more turns of powdered wigged goodness?
    No Frog will take MY fusiliers! Click here for some of my Historical Fiction:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=393678 http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...79#post8467779

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Why not 1790? A good compromise in my opinion.

If 1792 the rulers should be:

France: Louis XVI (or National Convention from September 1792. Strangely, the Convention was it's own executive until April 1793 when this role passed to the Committee of Public Safety)
    Spain: Carlos IV
    Portugal: Maria I (went insane this year - actual power in Prince Joao's hands)
    Bavaria and Palatinate (subsumed into Bavaria): Karl Theodor
    Saxony: Friedrich August III
    Poland-Lithuania: Stanislaw II
    Prussia: Friedrich Wilhem II
    Austria: Leopold VII (until 1st March 1792) then Franz II
    Russia: Catherine II
    Denmark: Christian VII
    Sweden: Gustav III (before died of assassins bullet on 29th April 1792), afterwards Gustav IV.
    Sardinia: Victor Amadeus (Vittorio Amadeo) III
    Naples: Ferdinand IV
    Ottoman Empire: Selim III
    Papal States: Pius VI.
    Mecklembourg-Strelitz: Adolphus Frederick IV
    Tuscany (Austrian Protectorate): Ferdinand III

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Over the hills...

Just had a look at the campaign and I really like the new UI. Although can the units from ETW be removed in the next version? They look out of place with all the other beautifal units there are.
    Last edited by E.K; November 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

If Royalist and Republican France are both factions and the game starts in 1792, then Louis XVIII should be the Royalist France leader.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

1792, 'nuff said
    [Col] RO Citizen

I say 1789 for the reason that I want to start as the Royalists WITH King Louis in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    If Royalist and Republican France are both factions and the game starts in 1792, then Louis XVIII should be the Royalist France leader.
    Well, if the campaign starts in 1792, then Louis WOULDN'T be ruler of France, the Convention was. And in 1792, the Royalists were "outlawed" since the Republic had been declared. Although Louis was alive, his title had been reduced to "King of the French", that is to say, he was only a figure head for those who still voted for a monarchy. As far as the Republic was concerned, Louis was a DEAD MAN at this point in time.

But, in the beginning of 1789, Tuileries Palace hadn't yet been stormed, the Bastille still sported the fleur-de-lis, and France was a proud monarchy. I think the object of the Royalist campaign should be to suppress rebellion and be that gravitational power in France. Thus, they should start when they still retain power and have not been too seriously down-sized. This was the problem with CA, when they showed us Napoleon's France in 1805 as the beginning of it all, so we must remember that this mod can and SHOULD bring light to the very genesis of the French Revolution: where the king ruled and the peasants were just on the verge of revolutionary outburst.

I notice that Louis XVI has a neutral effect on diplomacy on economic management in ROW. In my humble opinion this should be changed to a -10 effect on economic-management given how he bankrupt his country.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    I notice that Louis XVI has a neutral effect on diplomacy on economic management in ROW. In my humble opinion this should be changed to a -10 effect on economic-management given how he bankrupt his country.
    An excellent point! I think that would be a nice addition to the next version, not to mention the fact that the Royalist territories should be unsettled (lower classes, mainly)

The LME mod has different campaigns you can activate with user_script. Do you think it would be possible to do the same here? Like that both dates could be played. I don't see how it would be possible to fit in a 1792 royalist faction properly, whereas a very weak and fragile 1789 one would make sense. The 1789 campaign would be for those who want the Bourbons still in power and peace in Europe, the 1792 one for those who want revolutionary France and war with all of the reactionary powers. Moreover, Poland could be included in the 1789 version and removed in the 1792 one.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Yes, that's exactly how I think it should be. I want revolution, granted, but it would be more appropriate to have the Royalists as the established faction, with the Revolutionaries as the underdog, seeing as that's how it happened. And as far as Poland goes, how would you fit her into ROW? Austria, Great Britain, Prussia, and Royalist France are the four main (playable) countries and deservedly so, and unlike Empire, you can't just shimmy in a faction here and there, unfortunately. But in 1789, you will still have revolution, just a more complete sense of it. I can see one drawback to this year, however: there is no guarantee the other nations will declare war on Revolutionary France in 1789 (in fact, it's quite impossible if they are just a rebelling army on the campaign map. Thus, one specific starting region would have to be granted to them, and as a minor nation they can be challenged.

I'm honestly just going from what I've seen in other mods: LME and NTF both have the possibility of playing all factions, by creating different campaigns each with their own set of playables that you can activate. I think it would be good if not necessary for this mod because I'm pretty sure we all want a little bit of Suvorovness in campaign as well as the Royalists. Perhaps it would be anachronistic, but I think it would be more atmospheric for the revolutionaries to be given Bretagne, so they kind of gradually 'spread' throughout the country (that we might observe the fall of Paris) and if you are playing as Royalists, you have to rush men to the frontier and stop the flow of revolutionnaries...Then again, Paris makes more historical sense and wouldn't be bad either.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast