Thread: Goth advice

Default Goth advice

im a few turns into my campaign as the goths and since the huns the vanldles and the Roxolani(all hordes):sign_help have been racing each other so see who can conqure Colonia Dacia first i picked up and left now im not shure ware to settle with my horde where should i go?

Go settle in Greece.

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Greece is good but you can also go to WRE! I would settle in the area of France.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

O'brien the Protector's Avatar Lord of the Mannequins

Id say you got 3 good choices:
    1) start going west and battle the Western Roman Empire. You should be able to battle through the empire. Ide recommend settling on the west coast of france or in italy

2) go south into greece and battle the Eastern Roman Empire. I would recommend taking all of the balkan peninsula, going from Constantanople to Athens. ERE is pretty weak in that area in the bigining, you biggest threat is going to be the sarmatin hordes who are going to be competing for the same area

3)go south, wait for the huns, vandals, burgundi, etc. hordes to pass and then go back north and follow the hordes into italy and take the italian peninsula. THe huns and vandals usally break through WRE borders and set up shop in revenna. By the time teh vandals and Huns settle both them and the WRE are usally exuasted for soldiers, which is when you can come in with your still fresh horde and mop of whatever remains, and get Italy as a bonus.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    -(Under the patronage of the humble, yet all powerful Lord Sephiroth.)-Royal House of the Black Prince

Lord of the Mannequins~Protector of Happiness, Bishop of Liberty, Guard of Hypocracy, Patriarch of Duality,O'briantheProtector(OBP)

Default Re: Goth advice

Is there anyway for the Goth's to stand and fight?

Yeah I dug up an old thread. Wanna fight about it?

Been playing total war for years but this was the first time i played BI and I started with the goths having no clue what to do. I'm actually holding off the Vandals. I've wiped out 4 of there full stacks and killed there king at Colonia Dacia I'll finish them off soon, but the Huns are right behind them and I can see myself getting wiped out very soon by them easy. I'll just survive the Vandals as it is.

From what I see I should have just gotten out of the way.

Just wondering if anybody has actually made the stand.

empr guy's Avatar Praefectus

I dont think there is any realistic way to fight off the hordes in the gothic homeland. The reasons i say this are because you are in a very poor area and you wont be able to recruit alot of troops. YOu can probably support a stack or two with the starting province and the one immediatly west but a horde will deplete them in one or two battles. THe other reason is just because you will fight so many hordes, im pretty sure the AI will come to you if it is able (and hordes are very able) which means huns, vandels, and possibly the sarmations and roxilonia.

If only one or two come then yes you have a chance and can try it (and actually by defeating them you will prop up the WRE which would be something i've never seen, hordes always rape it). The only problem i see is that you will not have alot of money, and not enough troops to actually fight the romans who control the lands you would actually want to conquer.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

what i do on m\m is just hold my ground vs the vandles then i turn into a hord to fight of the huns and the i recounquer my homelands with a relitivly OK economy now that i dont need all my men in the army. now this does require good battle tactics and town management to get enough people to make a good size hord and keep most of em alive.
    90% of teens would die today if Facebook was destroyed. if you are one of the 10% that would be laughing, copy and paste this to your signature.

ROMANS POWN!
    YES IT IS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by empr guy View Post
    I dont think there is any realistic way to fight off the hordes in the gothic homeland. The reasons i say this are because you are in a very poor area and you wont be able to recruit alot of troops. YOu can probably support a stack or two with the starting province and the one immediatly west but a horde will deplete them in one or two battles. THe other reason is just because you will fight so many hordes, im pretty sure the AI will come to you if it is able (and hordes are very able) which means huns, vandels, and possibly the sarmations and roxilonia.
    Well actually you can. You send your diplomat to ally with vandals (they pay well) build a fort in eastern and southern mountain pass (the eastern one you will need to put some units next to it so the Allied stacks can't slip through) and place a one unit of peasants between mountains and river to the south so they don't slip through there. Once Vandals and Huns go to war ally with Huns as well (they pay good for it since it makes peace between them and the Vandals) just keep training units and giving them (Vandals and Huns) small gifts and they will pass by your lands to the south and west. By aggressive diplomacy you can get a lot of money from your neighbours and decide to leave your land when and if it suits you http://img847.imageshack.us/i/64057193.jpg
    Last edited by proxynator; March 07, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

allying with the hordes is not fighting them off

although that is a good idea, however i tend to just solo the campaign and kill everything.
    odi et amo quare id faciam fortasse requiris / nescio sed fieri sentio et excrucior

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Personally I'd start with Fields of the Nephilim they were much more authentic than Sisters of Mercy, nowadays the only decent real goth is Eden House though. Hope this helps your campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Hross View Post
    Personally I'd start with Fields of the Nephilim they were much more authentic than Sisters of Mercy, nowadays the only decent real goth is Eden House though. Hope this helps your campaign.

If you wanna fight them Ally with Samartians then keep churning out units(archers/HA) until very last minute. Horde when they (vandals) are on top of you you will have some 4-5 stacks good troops which will kill them then take your armies and help the Sarmatians with the Huns at their capital. You can settle back in your old region once the dust settles. Be warned that East and west empire are now coming for you since they have no hordes to worry about.

I always turn hord as the game starts and after that I go to Italy, after capturing all those cities in Italy I start capturing cities in France and Spain and at thetime when hordes arrive I have lots of money and elite troops to fight and defeat easily any hord army.