Thread: Cowardly Normans!?!?

Default Cowardly Normans!?!?

I started my saxon campaign (vh/vh) by dividing my troops into two good armies and sending all the peasants away to garrison. I fought one battle with the Normans (clear victory) and they have avoided me since! If my army gets within attacking distance of them the norman army moves away! This is an annoying, but funny, tactic; and whats more its probably working. By not engaging me the normans leave my income terrible (due to soldiers im negative 380000), take my weak towns, and I can't disband troops in case they engage!
    For the first time I'm actually losing a campaign, quickly. I've lost like 7 towns in the first 10 turns, and hugely negative, AND can't catch their armies! Anyone else had a similar experience?

Default Re: Cowardly Normans!?!?

Oh and thing before the install: The creator maintains a neutral portrayal of the noble English and the Norman dogs!

Default Re: Cowardly Normans!?!?

Hmm, I haven't actually experienced that myself.

My usual tactic as the English (h/h) is to group my starting armies as you did, and then move them north/west, to get some strong forces around London and Winchester (see the English guide above for details). I find that I can usually win a battle or two against the Normans in the field, but after that they will just wear me down. That's actually an ok scenario, because loss of troops = increase of income, as you know.

In your case, since they're avoiding your big armies, what about splitting them up? Split them up into smaller stacks and re-take those lost towns - but be prepared to defend London and Winchester in case the Normans move toward those places. Assaulting those little towns to retake them shouldn't be a problem for you - in fact, that is the best way to kill all those Norman horsemen, in siege battles where they can't maneuver.

Take it a step at a time, and good luck!