Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CTD issues with WoM

Default Re: CTD issues with WoM

Er, it's kind of impossible to not have a bi/ci/saves folder, as that's where the save games are stored, by default.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Every time to launch a WoM campaign, the .bat files does this:

Code:
    rename .\BI\ci\saves backup_saves
    md .\BI\ci\saves
    copy .\BI\ci\Batch\RK\saves\*.sav .\BI\ci\saves /y
    Renames your bi/ci/saves folder to "backup_saves"
    Creates a new "saves" folder
    Copies the save game files from the bi/ci/Batch/your_campaign/saves into the newly created bi/ci/saves folder.

And when you exit the game, this is done:
    Code:
    copy .\BI\ci\saves\*.sav .\BI\ci\Batch\RK\saves /y
    del /q .\BI\ci\saves\*.*
    rd /q .\BI\ci\saves
    rename .\BI\ci\backup_saves saves
    Campaign-specific save files copied back into the bi/ci/Batch/your_campaign/saves folder
    All files in bi/ci/saves are deleted
    The bi/ci/saves folder is deleted
    bi/ci/backup_saves is renamed back to 'saves"

You can try launching the game, creating a save game with a weird name, and then searching in Windows for a file with that name.

I understand your incredulity, Aradan, and I hope this will help:

I have been running this battle over and over again. Sometimes it gets as close as the final 3 minute countdown before CTD, though never quite to zero, often the CTD happens much earlier in the battle.

I definitely have lots of saved games as I save before and after every significant event, including every battle. and each turn regardless. These saved games must be somewhere, but I have no idea how I could find them. Searching for ".sav" doesn't do any good.

I have thus far fought two battles at that location to completion, though only after several failed attempts due to this CTD issue, but this last battle-group simply will not yield to the uncertainty principle. No matter how many times I fight this battle I am still getting this CTD.

Without the save-game, I can't help further, as that error message isn't exactly illuminating.

Those save-games must be somewhere...

I have found a reliable solution to the CTD issue with southern battlefields:

Buy minimizing and reloading the battle two to three times at roughly equal intervals during the course of the battle, I have been able to successfully complete 4 straight battles thus far.

This seems to be the workaround to use should any of you experience this CTD issue.

Well, this last "solution" has gone the way of the rest. At this point I am of the opinion that nothing I have done has had any effect, and that this phenomenon, whatever its cause, is set to cycle through dozens CTDs and then allow four or so uninterrupted battles before returning to another frustrating streak of CTDs. There does not seem any reasonable way for me to complete the conquest of Middle-Earth with this obstacle. I am resigned to waiting for the release of 3.0, and hoping it does not have the same problems.

Ok, this has been working for a week now, so I am willing to put it out as a very likely solution to my mysterious CTD in battle map problem, despite the poor record of my "solutions" thus far:

I changed the in game resolution for all screens to the native resolution for my monitor/graphics card. I had to do this twice for it to stick; I don't know if that is normal. The game had been running perfectly now, just as it used to, and no amount of increase in element detail, or number of units/solders seems to be able to get my battles to crash now. Even when the processor is obliviously taxed to its limit, the timer goes all the way through the 45 min at any speed I set it.

Now I can finally complete my conquest of southern middle earth.

Glad you solved it, though I still don't understand why the game crashed in the first place due to the different resolution settings. Oh well...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12