Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Europa Barbarorum needs your help! The Open Beta is here.

Artifex

Default Europa Barbarorum needs your help! The Open Beta is here.

Greetings, Europa Barbarorum fans!

Europa Barbarorum, a modification of Rome Total War designed to be more fun, challenging, and historically accurate, needs your help in testing our open beta release.

At this stage in the development of Europa Barbarorum, we need your help; you the fans, to make EB a better mod. For some of you, this is the moment you have been waiting for, as you will be able to play the modification for the first time. We ask for your help and your understanding; EB is not a complete mod, and you will run into errors and omissions. This is why we need you, so that we can find all of these errors, and fix all of the omissions. When downloading this beta version of EB, you do so with the understanding that you may run into CTDs, you may have texture errors, the game may not be balanced, units may not be in place, and errors, in general, exist.

So, in addition to playing and enjoying the mod, we ask for your help in testing for, identifying, and reporting bugs and errors. We also ask for your patience as we work through the issues, improving the mod as we go. There are a great many things in error at the moment, and a great number of gaps in the features we intend to complete. We will keep you up to date on both in our public forum.

We are very happy that so many fans have followed our progress over the months. Creating this mod has been a labor of love for a great many people, and we hope you enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed making it (hopefully, much more!). We hope that the surprises we have tried so very hard to keep quiet make your first few games very pleasant indeed. The work goes on, and we have even more good things planned. Now that our fan surprises are out, we hope that this will be a more open and collaborative project, as there are many areas that could use your help, and we simply do not have the manpower to do all that we would wish to do in a reasonable amount of time.

Speaking of surprises, please do be considerate that some people will want to try the mod first and find out for themselves what it contains. Our public forum has stickied posts that explain this, but we would like to ask for your assistance in discussing the surprises we have tried hard to keep only behind threads marked clearly as containing *SPOILERS*. We appreciate your assistance in this!

Here is the link to our brand new website:

www.europabarbarorum.com

Here you may find a list of ways that you can download the mod. I would personally appreciate it if you try the torrent or other mirrors before the EB US download, as one of our members is hosting that himself:

EB Download links

Please note, for all you bandwidth beggars, that Vercingetorix, with the help of some ancient Greek gods, worked magic with the installer. The mod is less than 150MB now. Also note that our torrent is seeding at 400kb, so it may very well start as, and remain as, the quickest way to download the mod. Special thanks to Lucius for helping us test the installer and seeding a torrent (of course he got the mod first, so you can all be jealous of him).

Please note, we have decided to let you test the open beta for now on 1.2 rather than wait to port the mod to 1.5. You can read all about this in the forum or the installation notes, but you will need to have a clean version of vanilla RTW installed with the 1.2 patch. If this doesn't work for you, no worries, we will have an update to the newer patch in the relatively near future. However, if you don't want to wait weeks or months, you are free to test with us on 1.2.

In the future, if there is enough demand, we may host our own forum at our domain. For now, however, here is where we have a forum presence:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Thank you, and please let us know how we can improve the mod!
    Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est. - Seneca

PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

Holy COW!!!!!

Jews and Gentiles: REJOICE!!

Yippee yo yippee yay.

sub forums are activated. ....Errmmm....downloading your mod...

Holy COW!!!!!
    Jews and Gentiles: REJOICE!! - PacSubCom
    Yippee yo yippee yay - Tacitus Cornelius
    :original:

When downloading this beta version of EB, you do so with the understanding that you may run into CTDs, you may have texture errors, the game may not be balanced, units may not be in place, and errors, in general, exist.
    Yes.. pls bear this in mind. We need you guys to give us a hand.
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

ErikinWest's Avatar Civitate

Good thing i got up at 4AM this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik

Music is the pinnacle of civilization and Jazz is the apex.
    Member of S.I.N.
    The means justify the ends. Or better put: the same means will achieve the same ends.
    Under the patronage of Chandrashekar Azad.

Quote Originally Posted by PSYCHO V

Yes.. pls bear this in mind. We need you guys to give us a hand.
    Yes yes yes, but good to see that EB is a reality now and not just a christmas present to wait for. THEN we will have a look at the code-wreck that EB is :sweatingb

Tiro

Goodness gracious! I've just visited the EB website, and I was absolutely floored! Struck dumb! Amazed! and full of respect! You all have done a very-very-very great job indeed! Talk about giving Vanilla a facelife... you people gave it a new body! (so called). I was finishing up reading the 'features' section (that's the only thing I've visited so far, that and the download page, that is), and I was thinking. Boy, if I was a manager at CA, I would be in a boiling rage at how these people could come out with something so awesome and professional, whilst my own company languishes in the Pigsty with Vanilla. I would personally be screaming and shouting myself hoarse and spanking my employees for not doing such a good job as EB!

All Hail Europa Barbarorum!
    and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year guys! Bless you!

Edit: Embarrasing spelling mistake

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

BI overwrites the existing version of RTW. Can I install the mod on the nest patch of RTW too?
    Otherwise I have to say its breatheaking if all the new features are actually working...I cannot breath reading your webiste.,..if I would be a CA manager now I would ask my superiors to allow me to commit seppeku so I may die honorably
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Quintus Valerius's Avatar Centenarius

Can't get the EB website on any browser. Anywhere else I can get the Beta?
    DA MIHI SIS POCVLVM VINI FALERNI

Quintus Valerius's Avatar Centenarius

Thanks a lot Gert! Much appreciated!
    DA MIHI SIS POCVLVM VINI FALERNI

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

Wow I don't know if I dare download this. With all posts about problems, virus etc etc...is it safe at all to download EB or will it completely mess up my computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    Wow I don't know if I dare download this. With all posts about problems, virus etc etc...is it safe at all to download EB or will it completely mess up my computer?
    You are the first person to say anything about a virus . I've downloaded every build and never had one. Get real.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaho
    I was thinking the same thing. I guess I'll wait a few days or atleast untill a patch is released. When is there going to be a patch released, 1 week.. 2 weeks?
    In patronicvm svb Jesus The Inane

is EB working with the newest patch which are installed by BI?
    please inform me
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

1.2 only. No BI. Reinstall vanilla RTW into a new (different) directory and then download the 1.2 patch from Activision and execute it. Then install EB on top of that file. I would recommend once you make a "clean 1.2 RTW" version to keep a copy of it spare (if you have room) so it's easy to install subsequent EB builds on if you want to keep active trying out the new patches and builds and such.

Thank you. Will there be a BI version EB too?

Don't know for sure, but a BI version is much much less likely. It is more likely that we will be porting it to 1.5 though. But we wanted to focus on getting the open beta out first. That change will come with time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast