Thread: One Settlement Type

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Default One Settlement Type

This is a tutorial on how to make the game use only one type of settlement, cities.
    By having only one settlement, settlements will seldom run out of things to construct, and each settlement can be specialized in a different way.
    Files affected

• EDB
    • descr_strat.txt
    • descr_campaign_db.xml

Part 1 - descr_campaign_db.xml

1. Find this line: "<show_building_browser_castles bool="true"/>"
    2. Change it to this: "<show_building_browser_castles bool="false"/>"

If that line isn't in there, just add <show_building_browser_castles bool="false"/> in the display section.
    This will make castles not show up in the building browser
    Part 2 - EDB

1. Remove or comment out all convert_to lines
    2. Delete the convert buildings

This makes it so people cannot convert from cities to castles
    Part 3 - EDB

1. Make all castle-only buildings (that don't have a city equivalent) city-only by changing the requirements of each building-level to "city" instead of "castle"
    2. Move all units from castle buildings that still remain, to their city equivalent
    3. Remove any duplicates (shouldn't be a lot)

This way, all units are recruitable from cities. I also recommend moving any units recruitable from the castle building itself, to the barracks/stables (depending on what kind of unit it is)
    Part 4 - descr_strat

1. Search for "settlement castle", replace with "settlement" (can't check atm exactly what the white-space is like)
    2. Search and replace:
      • core_castle_building -> core_builing
      • " c_" -> " "
      • castle_ ->
      • _castle ->
      • fortress -> stone_wall
      • wooden_castle -> wooden_pallisade
      • castle -> wooden_wall

Now most/all buildings should be the town version.
    Part 5 - Debugging (what everone loves :P)

1. Try to launch the game
    2. Check the log if it crashes, go to step 5 if it doesn't
    3. Fix the issue mentioned in the log, should be EDB issues only
    4. Go back to step 1,
    5. Try to launch a campaign
    6. Check the log if it crashes, if it doesn't you're done
    7. Fix the issue mentioned, should be descr_strat issues only (the search and replace eating a bit too much, usually)
    8. Go back to step 5

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: One Settlement Type

Meneth
    when you finish examining the RozMod alltowns mod files, you'll discover some other files need to be changed apart from the ones you have listed.

This guide is to how I did it, which seems to be working fine. What other files did you edit to implement this kind of functionality?

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Descr_mission, Descr_faction_Standing, descr_character, and descr_ancillaries files may be also affected (if you remove buildings). The last two won't really causes CTD since the trigger source is gone.

Maybe someone could explain parts of this in further detail, very hard to figure out if you are unfamiliar with certain aspects? Especially convert to lines, there are some of these left in Roz's 6.3 all towns file which is causing me to be confused.
    Last edited by stevehoos; September 12, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

How can you make certain cultures have 1 settlement type, but others have more?
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Quote Originally Posted by King William the Conqueror View Post
    How can you make certain cultures have 1 settlement type, but others have more?
    You could probably limit the castle buildings to certain cultures/factions only.

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

thanks but how?
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

Why differentiate between cities and castles? Never understood Vanilla because the size of all regions had at least a dozen cities and castles in them.

so basically he's teaching how to apply the cities only Mod that he has on his compilation...
    now my problem is i want to have things back to normal on my game (only thing i dislike on his compilation)
    does anyone know how it can be done?

I wish I had seen this before I had made my own Broken Crescent "cities only" mod. To add to the list of files changed or potentially changed, (depending on the mod you are changing) make sure to check the export_descr_guilds and the export_descr_character_traits as many triggers for both guilds and traits are tied into castle buildings ie: swordsmith guild also uses a castle smith as a trigger. Character traits can also be tied into various castle buildings.

An added benefit of using only one settlement type is that after removing all the castle buildings additional building slots are opened up allowing for even more gaming possibilities.

One other file that is changed after removing castle buildings, is the export_descr_advice file.
    Last edited by MIKE GOLF; November 21, 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: additional info

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I usually advise modders not to remove entries from the EDB due to those files linked to it (traits, advice, missions etc). If you are not hitting the limit of 128 building trees simply remove the faction entries in the requirements of the building levels. That way you save yourself chasing a multitude of error messages in numerous files.

In fact that is easiest to way remove castles from the game - simply remove the factions in the core_castle_building tree. Disable the two convert_to trees to be on the safe side. Nothing else is necessary, not even the disabling of other castle buildings. To remove the display of the castle buildings in the building browser simply change this line in the descr_campaign_db to read like this and you are done:

<show_building_browser_castles bool="false"/>

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I usually advise modders not to remove entries from the EDB due to those files linked to it (traits, advice, missions etc). If you are not hitting the limit of 128 building trees simply remove the faction entries in the requirements of the building levels. That way you save yourself chasing a multitude of error messages in numerous files.

In fact that is easiest to way remove castles from the game - simply remove the factions in the core_castle_building tree. Disable the two convert_to trees to be on the safe side. Nothing else is necessary, not even the disabling of other castle buildings. To remove the display of the castle buildings in the building browser simply change this line in the descr_campaign_db to read like this and you are done:

<show_building_browser_castles bool="false"/>
    I think it will be easier to add everything back in and do what you suggested, because the amount of errors that show up is rather large, thanks again for this info. +Rep

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Edit: just as a note - removing any of the port trees is not possible as they are a core building as well, it will cause a crash.