Thread: Can I delete unit acknowledgment sound files?

Campidoctor

Default Can I delete unit acknowledgment sound files?

I would like to remove the different "Yes sir!" acknowledgements when I click on a unit on the strategic map, both for my own armies/agents and for the enemy's.

Those sounds drive me nuts and I disabled all speech because of it. Now I would like some speech back, but without those horrible voices on the map.

Is this possible by deleting the sound files, and if so, what files should I remove? Any other file that needs changing?
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Default Re: Can I delete unit acknowledgment sound files?

The file you are looking for master robin is export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt.
    Inside it you will find various characters like say for Admiral there is:-
    Code:
                               vocal Selected
                                        event
                                                 folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Camp_Map
                                                      English_Admiral_Selected_1.mp3
                                                      English_Admiral_Selected_2.mp3
                                                      English_Admiral_Selected_3.mp3
                                        end
    Arranged by accents of course. So put ";" like this:-
    Code:
                               vocal Selected
                                        event
                                                 folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Camp_Map
                                                      ;English_Admiral_Selected_1.mp3
                                                      ;English_Admiral_Selected_2.mp3
                                                      ;English_Admiral_Selected_3.mp3
                                        end
    After that save the file and delete all .idx and .dat files in SS6.3\sounds folder and start the game they regenerate and will read the changes you made.
    And when you select the admiral he won't say anything.

Campidoctor

Thank you, I cannot believe I put up with that noise pollution for so long and it's actually possible to fix.

Much appreciated!

But do I have to put that ; in front of all the different sound files for all characters for all factions, or is there some place I can switch off all these acknowledgements in one go?
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    But do I have to put that ; in front of all the different sound files for all characters for all factions, or is there some place I can switch off all these acknowledgements in one go?
    Yes you have to do this manually.
    But a quick way of doing it is:-
    open it with notepad and press Ctrl+F and type:-
    Code:
    vocal Selected
    And it will take you to the first line where it is.
    Then for this para you disable its mp3 sounds with a ; infront of it.
    After that Press F3 key and it will take you to the next para where selection sounds are there and you disable them also.

Hope you understand what i meant.

Campidoctor

Yes, that is the best way I guess.

Is it savegame compatible?

(Edit: Will answer my own question: Yes it is, just tested it out. Works brilliantly. A tip for anyone wanting to do the same is to do a search/replace for the faction's name PLUS the underscore (_) Then you can replace all instances with ";German_" in one go. Will have to be done for all factions if you dont want to hear the enemy's stupid taunts either, but at least it's faster than manually adding semicolon to hundreds and hundreds of lines.)
    Last edited by SirRobin; November 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM.

Is it possible to turn off the sounds for "My lord, our men have taken the city!" and so forth? They drive me absolutely crazy when they get in the way of the music. Even when I turn off the speech, the music still decreases in volume momentarily even when there isn't any speech. (And I don't want *all* the speech gone lol).
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

Yes can remove or disable any sound though you have to find that entry in the text file yourself.