Thread: Unit scale.

Cromagnon2's Avatar Senator

Default Unit scale.

Hi there! This mod is on my wish list for some time. I really like the AOR idea

My question is if this mod also has a coherent unit regimental/battalion type structure, in other words do units represent regiments and if so is there taken care to recruit only one of these special regiments on the campaign map? Or are units depicted as battalions/divisions, and if so how many in one regiment?

Default Re: Unit scale.

Historical regiments are represented by a single unit, so there is only one unit of Prussian Death Head Hussars for example. However, many of the basic units represent only parts of regiments like the voltigeurs or grenadier units.

Cromagnon2's Avatar Senator

Thank you for the reply Yarkis. So if i understand well, all unique and new units have 1 availability, but the standard 'basic' units are unlimited, correct?

If I want to change the unit size in the user script (unit multiplier), what effects will it then have on the TROM II mod itself? I have already tried setting the multiplier on 2, which gave a great effect: line infantry of 340 soldiers, grenadier units of 240 soldiers, cavalry units of 120 men... Really cool and realistic to have so many men fighting. You don't get that experience just by setting your unit size settings to big or ultra in your game's settings.

So I set the multiplier on 2 and the only change I noticed (besides larger units ) that the lines did not consist any more of 3 rows (like in TROM II originally) and when the computer itself deployed my troops in the beginning (so before you start making changes to the deployment yourself) were overlapping. But that is just because the units are much bigger; not a problem though; I spend anyhow a lot of time for the deployment of my troops so putting them all in 3 rows and in a straight line does not bother me.

I was just wondering whether this changes anything else? Like, will have effect on the morale that you changed for the mod? Any other consequences for battles and campaigns?

Quote Originally Posted by KamilW View Post
    If I want to change the unit size in the user script (unit multiplier), what effects will it then have on the TROM II mod itself? I have already tried setting the multiplier on 2, which gave a great effect: line infantry of 340 soldiers, grenadier units of 240 soldiers, cavalry units of 120 men... Really cool and realistic to have so many men fighting. You don't get that experience just by setting your unit size settings to big or ultra in your game's settings.

So I set the multiplier on 2 and the only change I noticed (besides larger units ) that the lines did not consist any more of 3 rows (like in TROM II originally) and when the computer itself deployed my troops in the beginning (so before you start making changes to the deployment yourself) were overlapping. But that is just because the units are much bigger; not a problem though; I spend anyhow a lot of time for the deployment of my troops so putting them all in 3 rows and in a straight line does not bother me.

I was just wondering whether this changes anything else? Like, will have effect on the morale that you changed for the mod? Any other consequences for battles and campaigns?
    I wouldn't recommend increasing the unit sizes beyond 50%. Reasons are several: Bad pathfinding, too many rows, unit in skirmish formation clumping together, units no longer fit into buildings, BAI problems. Also, just changing the multiplier is not enough because artillery units will still have only 4 guns.

Now the good news: I will release TROM XL soon, a submod that increases gun sizes for either 25% or 50% bigger units.

Well to Christmas to receive a gift BSM vor TROM2!!!! And perfectly to lead a vacation!