Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking Prisoners and killing them if it gets too hot!! MTW

Default Taking Prisoners and killing them if it gets too hot!! MTW

Another feature that is sourly missed from MTW. THe Ransom of prisoners

What used to happen was during a battle you would win an engagement against an enemy unit, the enemy unit would retreat and an icon would come up advising that you have X number of prisoners that you can ransom after battle
    If the battle got too hot and you thought you would lose you could kill the prisoners before they got loose

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

Yeah I miss that feature....
    I "loved" the sound of putting hundreds of men to the sword..
    It would be nice if that feature could be incorporated into CTW though I bet it is hard-coded, everything cool is
    I cant seem to understand why one couldnt take prisoners in RTW..
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Civitate

Ahh, I loved that. I simply killed prisoners for my general to become 'cruel', haha. And the best part was: A king's ransom! I think I captured one Byzantine emperors (as the turks) in a few battles in a row, causing me to get rich $$
    proud patron of : ____________

militiaman's Avatar GEWar TWC Alliance!

Adherbal said it might be possible through scripting...

Under the Patronage of Basileos Leandros I, who is under the patronage of Kscott, who is under the patronage of Lord Rahl, who is under the patronage of MadBurgerMaker, who is under the patronage of genghis khan, who is under the patronage of GodEmporer Nicholas

Yeah this is one of the things that makes people love MTW more than RTW....killing prisoners, ransoming kings, princes, generals and nobleman. Thats always been the trick to becoming filthy rich in MTW: build a chain of ships and capture and ransom back enemy princes/kings. Kings escpecially are worth a pretty penny, but sometimes it doesnt work and the enemy AI refuses to pay for their princes/kings and you have to kill him. This is an example of how a simpler AI can sometimes equate to an AI capable of making better decisions. Is there anything like this in RTW? No of course not, the AI in RTW is dumber in many areas than in MTW.

Another thing I really liked in MTW is the whole system of influence. How if you are a succesful king and your heir happens to be average or below average, when you die you might be facing a civil war between brothers. Your very own War of the Roses, so to speak. You can choose the side of your heir, or the side of a more powerful younger prince and recapture your territory under a new king. Break the dynasty of the Alfonso's in Spain and bring King Sancho I or King Alphonso I to the throne. Its great stuff, wherever the games limitations start your imagination can begin.

big_feef's Avatar Ordinarius

It's things like this why I still play MTW... I'm currently on a Turkish High campaign after completing an English High campaign. The Mongols have just invaded and I managed to capture their khan in Edessa... that was an easy 35k florins. They then attacked me again in Georgia; but this time I killed the khan and a couple their princes and wiped them out.

I'm now going after the Egyptian Sultan... Egypt is filthy rich (they have to be!) because they've been holding on to all of the Almohad's African provinces and Antioch and Tripoli since about 10 years after the start of the High campaign. Nabbing him a couple of times will net me a pretty penny before I decide to wipe out the Egyptians. Then it'll be on to doing the same with the Hungarians and the filthy rich Italians and Sicilians.
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools" - Thucydides

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Well it was fun murdering ones prisoners, and it is sad that at the end statistics of a battle there are only killed.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

Problem was you had no choice. I ransomed back a last royal family member because it wouldn't let me kill him, and they rebuilt and were a constant thorn in my side for many years to come.

if you captured him during a battle you could've used the "kill prisoners" button.
    A new game development studio focusing on historical strategy games
    http://www.the-artistocrats.com

alman9898's Avatar Centenarius

That's what I always did; better to wear down their royal line, though I did occasionally ransom people back for some cash.

Prisoner Exchange is possible through scripting.

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Best sound effect ever. Ever.

I would kill them. Often, if you keep them, you could end up with a message like:

"You returned 3,542 soldiers for 124 florins."

What? Nooooo! I would never have done it for that cheap. And now they have their entire army left over. That happened to me a couple times, and after that, I learned to just kill them all.

I loved MTW.

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

The soud effect for city extermination in RTW is better. It's longer.

This feature didn't make it to Rome because these sort of things just didn't happen in the classical age. Prisoners were sold off as slaves, and that's the only thing there was to it. Sometimes, prisoners from specific countries were released without ransom, to be generous towards those people. For example, in the Second Punic War, Scipio Africanus often fought Carthaginian armies. He always let all the Iberians go, but he enslaved all africans. The logic behind this was that he wanted the Iberians to desert the carthaginians and go over to the Romans.

Those kind of political situations don't exist in any TW game (though i wish they did!). To bad, really.

But in general, ransoming prisoners was a chivalry thing. People would favour to capture soldiers, especially knights, because they knew they could get some serious cash from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Kal
    The soud effect for city extermination in RTW is better. It's longer.
    it is longer, but it's not nearly as cool. You can hear their freaking blood spilling on the ground!

Evil Ned has a point there. It's the age of Chivalry where such practices found its nich. However, CA could have made this available to the modding community.

Is it really possible to srcipt for the CTW?

The Story of Janosik <>Courtesy of Cracker Monkey and ARCHER29

Maybe MTW 2(?) would include it. :laughing:
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

MTW had so much more flair than RTW. Killing prisoners was one aspect, eventhough I seldom made use of it - having the option mattered a great deal for ambiance.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight
    Maybe MTW 2(?) would include it. :laughing:
    I hear a lot of people talk about MTW2. If it is indeed released at some point, is it expected as an expansion (similar to BI), or as a standalone game? Also, any idea as to when to expect such a release?

Late 2006, new game probably based on the same engine. Its not sure that it will be mtw2 though.

Well, wait for the Imperium: Total War release. We've already implemented the "kill prisoners or sell them as slaves" thing. After a victorious battle the Advisor pops up and asks you if you want to sell the prisoners. If you do (pressing the show-me button), you get some money based on how big the army you've defeated and how much of it you've destroyed.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast