Thread: Unit Question: Great Cross

Incomitatus's Avatar Ducenarius

Two very quick questions:

What, exactly, is the effect of having a Great Cross in a battle?

and

If the men attached to the Great Cross are ordered to 'drop siege equipment', ie. detach from the Great Cross, does the Great Cross still have an effect or does the crew need to stay attached for it to do whatever it does?

Thanks!

Nevermind, a bit more searching and I found answers. To wit, it improves morale of nearby units (how much, though?) and the cross itself has the effect, the men attached to it can be detached and the Cross still works.

Now... would anyone care to verify that??
    Last edited by Ishan; November 09, 2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: double post
    Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto. - Terence

My M2:TW 4TPY Script, Adapted to Work With Hotseat.

Guides and Useful Posts of Mine
    Middle Earth Strategikon (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)(WIP: ~60% Complete)
    Advice on Playing as Gondor - Part I - Part II (M2:TW: TATW 3.2)
    Dirty Secret to Killing Trolls Fast and Easy (M2:TW: TATW)
    The Basics of Naval Engagements Part I - Part II (EMPIRE: DMUC)
    Roman Army Composition and Use (RTW: RTR Platinum)

Default Re: Unit Question: Great Cross

Yeah, it acts the same as the Venitian and Milanese Corrocio(?) Standards. In fact, in vanilla, the Venitian standard is almost requiered if you want to use the Venetian Heavy Inf., as they have very low morale IIRC.

Silverheart's Avatar Domesticus

I think the Carrocio Standards improve morale +2 or something, and the Great cross improves it double, so +4.
    Though I´m not sure about that (it can also be different from mod to mod)

And no, moving away the guards doesn´t affect it´s impact on morale, however it Does render it immobile (and keep in mind that the morale-improving effect only applies to nearby units). I think it´s better to keep the guards near it, so that I can move it forward as my army advances.
    Heart of silver, Mind of gold
    Fist of iron and Tongue to scold

Proud to be a Viking!

Quote Originally Posted by Incomitatus View Post
    Two very quick questions:

What, exactly, is the effect of having a Great Cross in a battle?

and

If the men attached to the Great Cross are ordered to 'drop siege equipment', ie. detach from the Great Cross, does the Great Cross still have an effect or does the crew need to stay attached for it to do whatever it does?

Thanks!
    Increased Morale you already got that.
    How much? Check it yourself in a battle the instant effect it delivers and by how much it keeps it on the other troops coz i haven't checked it but it's certainly noticeable.

And even if you detach them from great cross it still works until an enemy unit breaks it. And the troops carrying are veterans they don't flee at all dead till the last man.
    And for the unit to counted as alive after battle must be atleast 4 otherwise it's gone after battle.

Edit 1
    Just read this:-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverheart View Post
    I think the Carrocio Standards improve morale +2 or something, and the Great cross improves it double, so +4.
    Though I´m not sure about that (it can also be different from mod to mod)
    How can one define it by +2 +4 etc i mean what are the terms? Not questioning but where you read it as i haven't seen it in any of the data files.
    And no the morale Great cross and carrocio standards delivers is equal as in absolutely the same.
    Both these units have an attribute standard in them that gives morale boost to nearby units and it's hardcoded not mentioned in any files.

What's the exact impact i haven't researched it in battle and checked personally.
    Just ran a small battle test and the morale stayed between Eager and steady.
    Last edited by Ishan; November 09, 2010 at 05:19 AM.

Morale is actually determinated by points. For example DFK having 9 morale. Venetian Heavy inf 5. Lancers 11 and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by ... where did it run? View Post
    Morale is actually determinated by points. For example DFK having 9 morale. Venetian Heavy inf 5. Lancers 11 and so on.
    Yes i know that we are talking about the amount of morale boost given by them that is the Great cross itself not units carrying it.

Silverheart's Avatar Domesticus

What I meant was that it improves morale in the same way as, for example, a family member trait which improves morale +2 (or whatever the improvement is).
    Heart of silver, Mind of gold
    Fist of iron and Tongue to scold

Proud to be a Viking!

well I know it for sure. And it is completely different from the nonesense that was spoken here.
    Looking at the data file.
    soldier Great_Cross, 24, 1, 1
    engine great_cross
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, mercenary_unit, standard

​​​​
    Sea faring, hide forest, hardy,can wiothdraw, mercenary unit etc., these are all attributes attached to the soldier, not the engine.
    Thus it doesnt matter whe the the cross is droped, the 'inspire unit' attribute is attached to the soldier, whereever they go, units will be inspired. With cross or not, doesnt matter.
    That's how the game is programmed.
    Its just like in Rome total war , Roman cohort inspires nearbny troops. In med2 they just attacherd the stupid cross to look cool, but its actually the soldier who does the inspire.

Not used engines CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT have any funtion, and they never had.
    If the cross is dropped, who ownes it??? Nobody! just like u drop artillery, the anymy can take them if he has artillery soldiers.

im actually not 100% if it is attached to unit. But 100%, a dropped cross doesnt have any effect.
    Last edited by PlautusLeo; February 14, 2019 at 10:59 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Let me educate you a bit, because I am really getting tired of your uninformed attitude towards others:

You do not seem to be aware of the descr_engines file, nor it's allocation of an area effect to the cross:

Code:
    type                great_cross   ; as referenced in the 'engine' line of the EDU - Gig
    culture                all
    class                holy_cart
    pathfinding_data    none
    reference_points    siege_engines/great_cross_standard.modelReferencePoints
    area_effect         ae_holy_inspiration
    Now let's hop over to the descr_area_effects file so that you can see the error of your ways:

Code:
          <area_effect>
                 <name>ae_holy_inspiration</name>
             <type>holy</type>
             <radius>50.0</radius>
             <morale_effect>5</morale_effect>
          </area_effect>
    In other words the effect is attached to the engine, at all times, and because of that it does not require a crew or an action for the effect to take place. Just as Ishan said.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; February 15, 2019 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Continuity

lol no, if nobody is attached to it it has no effect.
    U r wrong.
    Just like any other engine that starts working the moment it is mounted by units . And again, a dropped engine belongs to nobody!!!
    Even when u drop the engine and hover ur mouse over the cross it says "WAGON"
    And what happens when u hover ur mouse over the spearmen that just dropped the cross???? Great Cross

U dont argue from a logical point of view, no wonder the guides u make are totally confusing and unfinished. better leave that work to someone else
    Last edited by PlautusLeo; February 15, 2019 at 03:17 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If you do not know the difference between an area effect and functionality then it's not surprising you are spouting nonsense like this. Stick to what you know best (bragging appears to be your speciality).

I give up, too much irrationality, i cant bear