Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preview: Achaemenid Persia

We will do a BI or RTW 1.5 version after we've released the public beta. Since it may take a while to convert everything, we'll let the beta work with RTW 1.2 and then we'll start working again.
    Automating RTW Coding and Balancing with PHP and MySQL (online)

Lead developer of:

Latest RoP Release: ROP v2.2
    Under the Patronage of the magnificent Rez

Looks great! I'm looking forward to this. Most mods tend to go forward in time, to the medieval ages, or Roman Empire. Glad to see some going backwards, giving us a chance to change the past way before the time of Alexander and Hannibal.

Now all we need is an Ancient Egypt mod!

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

w00t!
    This mod is the best ever!

Excellent, indeed. I wonder which faction we will see next.

just wanted to drop in as a new member, and say that i am really looking forward to this great mod!
    also wanted to ask Rez about any really good Books about ancient persia. I have just finished History of the Persian Empire, by Olmstead, looking for something that focuses in a little more as opposed to a broad sweep filled with a myriad of details.
    any help would be great!

cheers!

Olmstead?

Olmstead's book is full of errors. Many of his theories from the 1950 have been rejected by the archeologists based on most recent archaeological funds.

One example: His theory that Slaves were used in order to build Persepolis (Parseh) has been rejected after the translations of the Persepolis tablets.

From my point of view Olmstead's book has to be collected and shipped all the way to a museum but not to a library. It is not his fault, archeologists in 1950 didn't have all the equipment and the knowledge that has been developed in the last 50 years...

I recommend Ancient Persia - Prof. Wiesehoefer
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/186...books&v=glance

But I would be also interested to hear about more recommendations.

Regards
    Houman

Wieshoffer is excellent as he is one of the few historians actually refering to the persepolis tablets.

also my two favourites are Richard N frye "The heritage of Persia"

and "Persia" by J.M. Cook

For a good analysis of the Persian wars read "The Greco Persian Wars" by Peter green - that is an excellent book

but nothing beats the good old primary sources - get yourself some herodotus, aeschylus, xenophon, arrian and have a look at the translations of persian rock reliefs. Then you can make you're own judgments

DR. Hobo. PHD.'s Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed

Now all we need is an Ancient Egypt mod!
    hehe there is check it out here
    http://s10.invisionfree.com/Imperium...p?showforum=63
    great job on the persians i loved them

Glad you liked it . You're mod's looking pretty good too (just went over all the previews). The isha hula is my personal favorite (unit of Hittite)
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12