Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ögedei Khan never dies; Mongols press on

Default Ögedei Khan never dies; Mongols press on

Hello, everyone.

I was just wondering, what if Ogedai Khan never died and Batu decided to press on? Would he have been able to subdue the Holy Roman Empire, with it's many forts, forests and such? Also, would it be possible that the Papacy would interfere?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NotYetRegistered; November 07, 2010 at 02:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Default Re: Ögedei Khan never dies; Mongols press on

I don't know, but this is cool:
    Free Székely Land! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sz%C3%A9kely_Land
    Autonomy for Transylvania!

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I don't know, but this is cool:
    Wow, that was an epic video, mate. +rep
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...

The Fishman's Avatar Senator

Icon1 Re: Ögedei Khan never dies; Mongols press on

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetRegistered View Post
    Wow, that was an epic video, mate. +rep
    That is indisputably the most epic Mongol-related thing on the internet. I have it saved to my computer. It doesn't even have a name, but it doesn't need one.

As for Batu, I think that he would have had a tough time fighting through the Holy Roman Empire, but would eventually disband the Imperial structure of the country and vassalise many of the principalities. The Mongols would then attack France and raze Paris. The rest of the north of France would be burned too. The Mongols would probably not be willing to conquer the country outright, so the remains of the kingdom would be made a vassal. With the north in ruins, French power might have shifted south to the Occitan, just as Russian power shiften north following the destruction of Kiev.

Italy would have fallen more easily to the Mongols thanks to drier weather and more open plains to graze horses on. Venice would probably remain independent, and Mongol forces would probably be forced to rely on Venetian hospitality in the Italian campaign.

With all of Europe subdued or conquered, the Hordes would be able to direct their full wrath towards the Middle East. However, by this time the Khaganate would have probably started to splinter, so any Mongol victory against Egypt would be unlikely. If the collapse of the Empire simply didn't happen though, the Mongols would have likely crushed the Mamlukes and conquered North Africa, allowing them to invade Morroco and Spain.

Europe under Mongol rule would progress very differently. Feudalism would probably collapse, Germany and France would be divided non-entities, and a centralised kingdom similar to modern Russia would emerge from the Khanate in Poland and Hungary. The Renaissance in Europe would be halted, but new knowledge would also be brought over from the east by the invaders, so social and technological progress would continue to an extent. With the Pax Mongolica opening up free trade with distant China, European exploration in order to find new trade routes would be unnecessary. America would remain undiscovered, and Colonialism probably wouldn't have begun.
    With the death of Feudalism, ideas of individual rights would be more limited, and the 'Englightenment' would be snuffed out before it began, in favor of authoritarianism. Mongol rulers in Eastern Europe would probably convert to Christianity of some description, while the 'Golden Horde' or whatever this universe calls it might still become Muslim thanks to the large numbers of Turkic Muslims within it's borders.
    "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor from 161 AD to 180 AD

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

England would still be chilling up in there island, Scandinavia probably would be unharmed as well

Quote Originally Posted by Jaketh View Post
    England would still be chilling up in there island, Scandinavia probably would be unharmed as well
    Yes, a Mongol invasion of England would be unlikely. England and Scandinavia would probably survive in a similar way to how Novgorod did.
    "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well then colonialism would have started anyway, just for different reasons.

Conversely, freedom was a large part of Mongol culture from what I understand. No Mongol or conquered citizen was above the law, which was often very fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Thanks for all your responses! +rep to the Fishman, though, the Mongols tried to invade Japan, so why not England?

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetRegistered View Post
    Thanks for all your responses! +rep to the Fishman, though, the Mongols tried to invade Japan, so why not England?
    Japan was closer. Europe is a lot of territory to conquer so it would take years before something bad happens to the mongols like a civil war....
    http://e-sim.org/lan.126366/

Je t'aime ma petite chou!

With all due respect, I disagree.

Yes the Mongols were epic, and yes Subudei and Chepe Noyan were the most awesome generals the world has ever seen (in my opinion), but the Mongols conquering all of Europe simply isn't realistic. I'd advise you to read Turning Points in Military History by William R. Weir. He specifically addresses this question in chapters 3 and 4, arguing that the Mongols would not have been able to effectively besiege and capture all of the castles in Europe. By this point (mid 1200s), there were thousands of castles in Europe. While the Mongols did have success in besieging some castles and fortifications, they simply would not have had the will or the manpower to press into the heart of Europe or Western Europe. They probably would have taken over and annexed Hungary, Poland, Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania, and Austria, but it would difficult to effectively besiege the Holy Roman Empire with the amount of fortification that they possessed. Keep in mind the Mongols were rather new at siege warfare, while the Europeans had been practicing both the offense and defense of siege warfare for centuries. Furthermore, even if the Mongols captured a number of castles and fortifications, it would impossible to hold all of them due to counterattacks. Scorched Earth tactics would present another problem, and if the Mongols relied on supply caravans or supply lines, any bypassed castle of bypassed fortified town could raid their supply caravans. Manpower would be the biggest issue, but you also have to ask "why would the Mongols even want central of western Europe?". Hungary, Poland, and Austria, are all rich grazing grasslands that Mongols could pasture and raise horses in. Germany and France were mainly agrarian and good for farming. The Mongols did not farm. They had no use for farm land. Germany and France may have been raided, in Attila-esque type raids were they took what they could and then got out of Dodge as quickly as they came. But they'd never occupy Italy, Germany, or France.

Devils Advocate arguments are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fishman View Post
    Italy would have fallen more easily to the Mongols thanks to drier weather and more open plains to graze horses on. Venice would probably remain independent, and Mongol forces would probably be forced to rely on Venetian hospitality in the Italian campaign.
    Italy has open plains? It has the Po valley with big freaking rivers through it. Everything else is rugged terrain from hills to mountain cliffs which is not that great for large scale grazing, but great for defending.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    Italy has open plains? It has the Po valley with big freaking rivers through it. Everything else is rugged terrain from hills to mountain cliffs which is not that great for large scale grazing, but great for defending.
    By open plains I meant the Po valley. Big rivers didn't stop Mongols before.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Italy would have fallen more easily to the Mongols thanks to drier weather and more open plains to graze horses on
    Umm no - sorry there is simply not of pasture in Italy for the Mogul horse and sheep... In general the same goes for most Western Europe. Horses are not cattle you just cannot - even with steppe ponies jerk their diet around like a yo-yo and have them stay healthy. Why do you think the Mongols never made any headway against the Mamlukes - logistics they simply could sustain a lot ponies for more and month or so before having to leave.

By open plains I meant the Po valley
    Problem is the po valley is not steppe grassland.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Quote Originally Posted by The Fishman View Post
    Mongol HA against Heavy Pavise formations on hills and rivers passes?

Total obliteration of mongols

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Italy was a collection of city-states that would have just as quickly sold each other out for their own benefit.

And the Mongols would be coming down the boot, which is supposedly much easier than going up it.

However, I would like to point out that the Mongols were some of the greatest strategic geniuses the world has ever seen, fighting battles in the same campaign hundreds of miles apart, against different armies, and at the same time.

An interesting point to to note is that, the Mongols would sack one city, scaring its neighbors into surrendering. Look at Kwarazhem for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

An army can only get so far before losing strength. I can't see them pushing that far into Europe, no matter how successful they were at first. By the time they finally regrouped an effective tactic to defeat them probably would've been developed anyway.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Seems everyone forgot about the Iberian Peninsula. Iberians were kind of used to fight against ranged cavalry armies (the moors), not to mention being the last refuge of Europe where I bet a lot of people from the rest of Europe would gather. Problem is, it has lots of open places. The Mongols would have a hard time there. Heh, I wonder what it would be like Mongols against the Portuguese, the last "free" guys in Europe.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

We can talk about that when the mongols captured the castle of Buda, Győr, and some dozen stone castles Hungary had. These castles guard the Danube river.

Unless these are conquered their supply lines are in constant danger.
    By hungering the defenders this could be accomplished till summer of 1242. The mongols crossed the Danube in early 1242, but there are hungarian forces yet in the south, probably in the north, and in West-Hungary.
    Konrad IV, son of Freiedrich II gathered the imperial army, into which the prince of Bohemia, the prince of Austria, the german, silesian princes were heading as proven by their letters.

This army have little experience and idea about nomads, but can have plenty of info from escaped hungarians. Their strength lies in their fortifications and their sizeable heavy cavalry which Hungary lacked.
    If they let themselves be lured into a trap, they can be defeated. If they fight the mongols not in an open plain, but near hills, forrests, or they can attack the mongols with concentrated charge of their knights, they"ll have the day. Another option they have is to lure mongols into Germany, let them to forage, and siege castles until weaken, due to unsuccessfull sieges and defeated raiding parties. And only then take the field against them. An experienced commander would choose this.

Croatia though would be rather impossible to capture, if it receives supply from the seas.
    Another problem for mongols to supply their horses on Great Plains, and their army in a country they devestated already. There won't be any wheat for late summer of 1242, as peasent are dying by hunger, killed, enslaved, and hidden. Question is how much herd have the mongols for now they must slaughter them to survive.

By 1242 autumn the mongols had to either move further or dissolve their army. A move towards Austria or Germany makes them face more stone fortifications which they can't conquer, and an imperial army which could gather up to this time a number which rivals that of the mongols.

Another Muhi-style attack through a well-defended bridge in meele and they can return to Russia.

The mongol army could ravage more lands but eventually their distance from their core lands, their army organisation and their lack of siege skills made them unable to continue into the rich and more developed and heavily fortified west.
    Last edited by Odovacar; January 17, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast