Thread: adding voices to a new unit

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default adding voices to a new unit

I've read through some of the tutorials but i still can't seem to get it done...

i'm making a submod for Stainless steel where i'm changing a lot of the roster for historical (and variety) purposes, and in the process I changed a lot of unit names and type , at the start i was just using existing entries in the EDU to change the units and then simply change their final names in the text files, but as my undertaking grows this is simply no longer feasable as i'm changing so many units that if i don't completely overhaul their EDU / Export_text / BMDB entires to their new names even i will start to forget where my new unit is listed at.

but i'm running into the problem of these new units having no voices, looking at the tutorial I THINK what i'm suppose to do is go to my mod folders' export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt and either add in new entries or replace old oncs in mattesr like this

unit Sanhaja Warriors

event
    folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/Battle_Map
    Arabic_Heavy_Generic_Spearmen_1.wav
    Arabic_Heavy_Generic_Spearmen_2.wav
    end
    and then I should remove the voice.dat and voice.idx files in my mod folders, is that correct? am I understanding this correctly? but i have done this and it's not working. my units are still mute.

I think i'm probably just overlooking some obvious issues, so can anyone help me out here?
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: adding voices to a new unit

You first of all have to export the voice.dat, if you do not export the voices (please mind to cut the exported files into the correct directory: from ...data\sounds\data\sounds\Voice to ...\data\sounds\Voice), the voice.dat cannot be re-created propper after deleting.
    Download the officialy released soundfiles and copy&paste them into the data folder of your mod without permission to overwrite.
    Make sure that your battle map recording is in the only format the game will play: .wav, 352kbit/s = 16bit mono 22.050 Hz!
    Make sure that you use the correct name of the unit!

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

SS already has the snd txt files so no need to download them. Just put the entry under export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt file and mention the unit entry under accent type and class type.

And remember in your EDU one always mentions the class type like heavy, light so make sure it exists in that class otherwise it won't play when you click on the unit.

After that save the .txt and delete all the .dat and .idx files in the sounds folder of SS and i mean all of them. And launch the game and it will work 100%(they are regenerated when game is launched from the info in the snd txt files inside SS folder).

Good Luck !

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

ok! it worked, thanks a ton Ishan
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Glad it worked out for you and you're welcome.

Nefarious's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    <snip>
    ...put the entry under export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt file and mention the unit entry under accent type and class type.

And remember in your EDU one always mentions the class type like heavy, light so make sure it exists in that class otherwise it won't play when you click on the unit.

After that save the .txt and delete all the .dat and .idx files in the sounds folder of SS and i mean all of them. And launch the game and it will work 100%...
    Apologies if this is considered necro-posting, but this was very helpful. After utilizing the search function, THIS is the post that finally helped me properly integrate Dismounted Mailed Knights into KGCM.
    Short, concise and to the point.

Thank you, Ishan.
    -Nef
    Every time I venture from New Orleans,
    I get the sensation of leaving Oz and landing on Kansas.

-------
    You want to know what? Really?? My political profile? Are you sure? Alright, then...

I had the same problem too and it helped me xD