Thread: [SOLVED] Unable to Play Empire: Total War

Icon5 [SOLVED] Unable to Play Empire: Total War

Hi.

So, I downloaded this mod, because I'd never downloaded a mod before and thought it would be cool. When I originally installed Empire: Total War, it was installed in the default Steam folder, which itself had been installed in the default directory.

I started the mod up, played it for a little while, and had some fun, and then I wanted to uninstall it so I could revert back to the vanilla Empire: Total War. So I tried to uninstall it and then went to start up the vanilla Empire: Total War.

Error message; Empire: Total War has encountered a problem and needs to close; crash.

Okay. That's a nuisance, but not the end of the world. So I uninstall Empire: Total War, and then reinstall it, and try to start it up again.

Error message; Empire: Total War has encountered a problem and needs to close; crash.

... fine, computer; point for you. Well-played. So I try to reinstall it again, quickly checking to make sure all files related to this mod had been removed after installation. I uninstall, reinstall and try to start it up again. I do this three more times, each time with the same result:

So my girlfriend comes home to find me with my computer in a submission hold yelling: "GHAA!!! I WILL MURDER YOUR WHOLE FAMILY! ALL YOUR PROCESSORS ARE BELONGING TO ME!!!"

And by now, I've developed a slight twitch in my left eye whenever someone asks me to close something. But okay, I can make it through this; I probably did something to Steam at some point without knowing it, and Steam is the source of all this evil, so it needs to be reinstalled. I remove steam from my computer, reinstall steam on my computer, and then reinstall Empire: Total War on my computer. I start it up and, lo and behold:

So, my ex-girlfriend thinks I have issues ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But, in all seriousness, I have uninstalled this mod, reinstalled Empire: Total War numerous times, and reinstalled Steam once now, all to hopefully correct this error message I get when I try to start the game up ("Empire.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.").

Is there anywhere outside of the Steam folder I may have to look for files causing this problem? I really have no idea what else it could be.

Any help is appreciated.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Default Re: Unable to Play Empire: Total War

Hi Dr Awkward - welcome to the forums,

(smiley for you)

generally you can verify your game via steam details how are here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=392075 that should avoid the need to re-install the game, any damaged, missing files are basically restored to original condition.

The only other area to check would be the user_scripts

C:\Users\VistaUser\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

Vanilla games need no script so you should delete any that are in this folder, let me know if you are resolved
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Icon5 Re: Unable to Play Empire: Total War

Thank you, hammeredalways, for the quick response.

I just reinstalled Steam and Empire: Total War again, and validated the files. The validation completed and said, all game files are validated.

Started it up, and another crash.

I'm completely out of ideas.

Also, I'm not on Vista, but XP.

Any other ideas?

no probs, did you check the user_scripts folder, delete any user_scripts you have in there
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Do you know where the user_script folder would be located on XP? I looked for a folder labeled: "AppData", but could not find any such folder.

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

go to the start menu, click run and type %appdata% (with percentage marks) into the box.

Then go The Creative Assembly/Empire/scripts, and you're there.

There is no smiley-face grand enough, nor referable meme great enough, to truly express just how happy I am at the moment.

It worked! Thank you so much both Tango12345 and hammeredalways. I really appreciate not only your help, but the quickness of it.

Thank you so much!

no probs., enjoy the game lets hope it goes now