Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official Movie Review: SPOILERS ON KONG AND NARNIA

Default Official Movie Review: SPOILERS ON KONG AND NARNIA

In less than three days I watched both the Chronicals of Narnia and King Kong, and here is my profesional opinion of these movies.

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THE FILM KING KONG
    I just came back from watching King Kong, so I'll start with that.

What can I say about this movie? It is directed by Peter Jackson and he has a crew of tested profesionals, most of which are Lord of the Rings Veterans. Jackson has been wanting to make this movie since he was a kid...so obviously, I figured he'd give it his best shot.

Regardless of his efforts, I somehow feel cheated. As I watched the movie, I realised that PJ was using way too much special effects! The search party is chased and in some cases trampled by a herd of dinosaurs, eaten by huge bugs, and even thrown about and smashed by Kong himself. It's not that the action wasn't needed, it made for a great movie, but this is King Kong. I didn't think it necissary for Kong to break into the natives city, throw about twenty men in the air, against the walls, etc. Then smash two of them against the cavewall, THEN bite a mans head off and throw his body high in the air, AND FINALY throw a rowboat full of men against the wall. Peter Jackson relied FAR too much on Special effects. Another thing that grinds my gears is the character of Bruce Baxtor, the holleywood actor. Baxtor shows himself to be a coward, then comes back as something as a hero by saving the crew from the bugs.....then turns back into a coward right before Kong escapes....I couldn't immagine what to think of this character. My last negative point, is the amount of sympathy we are supposed to have for Kong. We are supposed to be sad when Kong gets shot up and falls from the tower....but we aren't supposed to feel a thing, except for joy, when he finaly swats the attacking airplanes out of the sky. He takes down 6 airmen and we are supposed to be happy because Kong fell in love.....I'm sure at least one of the 6 airmen were in love at one time....but no one cares about them.

Now, with that done, I do however feel that it was a great movie. PJ nailed the emotional Kong and Ann scenes nearly perfectly. He also had some good scenes with Ann and Jack Driscoll. While the Action was way overdone, it did keep you awake and on the edge of your seat. The entire creapy Island thing was well done, as well as the dinosaurs who looked almost lifelike.

Character Analysis:
    Ann Durrow: She was played well by Naomi Watts. She has a knack for screaming, yet looking pretty while doing it, as well as juggeling and preforming vaudville.
    Carl Denham: Jack Black did this part wonderfully. he's your typical sleezey Moviemaker who also has a funny side. It's hard not to be on Denhams side during this movie.
    Jack Driscoll: Played by Adrien Brody. He is suprisingly good as the scriptwriter. He is both week and nerdlike and a good strong manly hero at the same time.
    Captain Englehorn: This guy was my favorite, he is played by Thomas Kretschmann (who you might remember as the Nazi U-Boat commander from U-571). Englehorn is the perfect Sea-Captain/adventurer. I couldn't get enough of this guy, he's so damn cool with his captains hat and luger.
    Preston: played by Colin Hanks, he represented morality, he often clashed with Denham but being a good worker succombed to his boss.
    Lumpy the Cook: played by Andy Serkis. Lumpy was the comic releif, shooting at mosquitos with his Thompson machine gun. It was actualy both sad and Gross when he was eaten by those big weird worm things.
    Choy: Choy was basicaly the stereotypical asian guy, not much to say, other than watching him fall was almost enjoyable.
    Herb: The camera man, he was the old guy of the film who regretfully died early. He somehow managed to escape trampeling but was eaten by the raptors.
    Bruce Baxter: He was actualy sort of funny to watch on screen. He represented the leading man actor of all the 1930's movies. He was a coward at heart, even if he was a hero on the "silver screen"
    Hayes: AKA the cool black first mate. This guy was actualy enjoyable to watch. He was surprisingly poetic and made some interesting comments. It was not enjoyable when he died.
    Jimmy: I didn't realy understand this character, he was found on the ship five years before, just like a wild animal.....and in that five years he becomes a functioning person??? I don't buy it.

MY RATING: 8/10 (It was a good movie, but not as much as I'd hoped)
    Do not read unless you have watched the Chronicals of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
    I had been looking forward to this movie for some time. I several of CS Lewis books in advance because I didn't want to be a fanboy who just watches a movie and claims to know about the book.
    While it was mainly a great movie, there were some added scenes that did not take place in the book, which for the most part didn't realy bother me. My two favorite scenes in the film were.....
    1. Mr Tumnus and Lucy meeting each other. This is probably one of the greatest scenes in scenamatic history.... It realy captures the innocence of both Lucy as a child and Tumnus as a Faun.
    2.The battle. This battle, while extremley based in fantasy, is very intertaining. Where else can you see Giants, centaurs, dwarves, eagles, gryphons, hags, mynatours, and all sorts of other creatures duke it out?

My rating 7/10 (not bad at all, but not great)

I predict these two will be in the running for "Best Film" and "Best Director" (these will probably be awarded to Jackson and Kong. Narnia will most likely win "Best Score"
    Last edited by Ó Cathasaigh; December 24, 2005 at 03:27 PM.

i agree. Narnia looked cool but was kinda like LOTR Jr.

Music was brilliant though.

Kong was a beautiful movie. Jackson really is the wizard everybody says he is
    Best director (duh) and best picture i think
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Moved to Bibliotheca, which appears to be where we stick movie stuff...

I disagree with your review of King Kong. Maybe it was that I didn't go in with expectations that high (even though Jackson is god the father, the son and the holy spirit).

It doesn't matter if it's not morally right to be happy every time Kong beats down a biplane, I still was and this proves how good the movie was and how well Jackson executed it. Despite being human you identified much more with Kong and were angry at the pilots for killing him.

All in all I give the movie a 9/10, perhaps even 9.5/10 because I was so pleased with it. In fact I wanted to see it again, but it didn't work out. It started slowly but really delivered during the finale, to me.

Plus I am seriously in love with Naomi Watts now.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

My last negative point, is the amount of sympathy we are supposed to have for Kong.
    agreed completly. This Ape killed dozens of men, yet we are supposed to feel bad for him?

My friend and I actually were laughing in the theater when Kong fell from the building, funny stuff.

Plus I am seriously in love with Naomi Watts now.
    haha, figured from you avatar in msn :laughing:

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

I really didn't feel sad for Kong. If I was one of the sailors on Englehorn's ship, and lost a bunch of shipmates to him, I sure as hell would've wanted him dead.

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

My friend and I actually were laughing in the theater when Kong fell from the building, funny stuff.
    Then you have serious problems my friend.
    [In the women's room, which Larry had to use, he puts his water bottle in his pants instead of the trash to avoid being recognized]

Producer's daughter: [enters] Hi mister. Thanks for fixing my doll.

[hugs him]

Larry: Aww, don't worry about it sweetheart.

Producer's daughter: [looks at him, scared, and runs out] Mommy, mommy. The old man's in the bathroom, and he's got something hard in his pants.

Curb Your Enthusiam

Saint-Germain's Avatar Comte

Hey, HIcks, where's the rest of the Narnia review? Loved the KK one (oooh there's a potentially dangerous abbreviation) but was looking for a more in-depth one on Narnia.

How did they handle the whole Jesus Christ thing in Narnia (I haven't seen it but OF COURSE I know the story)
    né Menander
    Under the covetous wing of Ozymandias
    Patronizing my favourite (not so) little guy, Turbo

"With this weather, it might as well be Thursday..."

I'll add to my narnia one by, let's say the 26th.

Perhaps even a character analysis too.

Gaius Drakan's Avatar Biarchus

I despised King-Kong, I found it utterly boring to watch, it just wasn't very good, at the oarts when most people are like "Aaaww oh noes!" I laughed, Kong's death was even funny.

Narnia however, amazing movie.

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Hicks I dont see Hayes or Jimmy on there

(the original King Kong is kinda mentioned in the movie aswell)

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Quote Originally Posted by BKB
    Nah, for one I was happy that the monster that had killed dozens of people(many inocent) had died, and 2) it was just funny how they did it with him sliding off like that. It is the kinda death you expect in a comedy.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

What, am I the only one who liked Kong better then Narnia?

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    What, am I the only one who liked Kong better then Narnia?
    I'm with ya. Thought Narnia was crappy as hell. I only watched it for it's battle scene but it was lame! LoL for Narnia!!!! You got to be crazy if you follow a weak 13 year old in to battle . He can't even raise his sword...
    In patronicvm svb Jesus The Inane

Hayes and Jimmy have been added. I knew I missed someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal_Hicks

I predict these two will be in the running for "Best Film" and "Best Director" (these will probably be awarded to Jackson and Kong. Narnia will most likely win "Best Score"
    Two gay cowboys will beat the monkey and the lion, without getting political there is no way the rich, the famous and the conceded arent going to vote for a movie that gives new meaning to ride'em cowboy. Im a Lewis fan so I liked Narnia more (though Black is definately fantastic in Kong as is Watts) though the movie just seemed to be missing something that I couldnt put my finger on. Dunno maybe it felt rushed or something. Tumnus and Lucy scene I agree, brought back memories of first time reading the book.

How did they handle the whole Jesus Christ thing in Narnia (I haven't seen it but OF COURSE I know the story)
    Disney didnt wimp out and secularize the movie if thats what your asking. Especially with Aslan sacificing himself for Edmund's 'sins' scene.

Narnia was woeful and to say it was better than Kong is insane. Surely i'm not the only one who thinks this?
    [In the women's room, which Larry had to use, he puts his water bottle in his pants instead of the trash to avoid being recognized]

Producer's daughter: [enters] Hi mister. Thanks for fixing my doll.

[hugs him]

Larry: Aww, don't worry about it sweetheart.

Producer's daughter: [looks at him, scared, and runs out] Mommy, mommy. The old man's in the bathroom, and he's got something hard in his pants.

Curb Your Enthusiam

Quote:

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

Most men complacently accept knowledge as truth. They are sheep ruled by fear

I realised that PJ was using way too much special effects! The search party is chased and in some cases trampled by a herd of dinosaurs,
    I totally agree. That scene was the worst. Bad enough their running between the legs of some giant Brotos but theres also a buch of raptor like dinos in there with them. If that isnt enought the whole chase occurs in a tihjt valley with no room to manuvere and then of coourse thrown in the cliff edge crumbling beneath their feet. They should all have died right there. It was way over done.

but this is King Kong. I didn't think it necissary for Kong to break into the natives city, throw about twenty men in the air, against the walls, etc. Then smash two of them against the cavewall, THEN bite a mans head off and throw his body high in the air
    Hve you ever seen the uneddited for TV version of the original King Kong? He does all this. He even stamps natives into the dirt and eats them like M&Ms including bitting a guys head off.

My last negative point, is the amount of sympathy we are supposed to have for Kong. We are supposed to be sad when Kong gets shot up and falls from the tower....but we aren't supposed to feel a thing, except for joy, when he finaly swats the attacking airplanes out of the sky. He takes down 6 airmen and we are supposed to be happy because Kong fell in love.....I'm sure at least one of the 6 airmen were in love at one time....but no one cares about them.
    Now here I totally dissagrew and see you dont really understand the story of King Kong. Kong was a King where he lived. He would have stayed there as a King if civilised man had not discovered him. And what did they do with him. The drugged him and removed him to become a curiosity just for their pleasure and amusment. I think they did an even better job than the original in this respect as Ann Durrow was very confincing n showing how she understood and cared for the beast. Its the classic story of Beauty and the Beast . I cant believe you dont get. I tear up everytime I see the original and this one had the same effect. Id give it an 8 out of 10. Great shots of Old NY as well.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott
    Nah, for one I was happy that the monster that had killed dozens of people(many inocent) had died, and 2) it was just funny how they did it with him sliding off like that. It is the kinda death you expect in a comedy.
    Then you completely missed the point of the movie. You're probably the kind of person that would walk into a lion's den and then blame the lion for attacking you.

Hve you ever seen the uneddited for TV version of the original King Kong? He does all this. He even stamps natives into the dirt and eats them like M&Ms including bitting a guys head off.
    Does he do this in rapid succesion killing off 15 or so crewmembers of the venture all armed with bolt action rifles and thompson submachineguns? He literaly kills everyone but a rowboat full of people in less than 30 seconds.

I totally agree. That scene was the worst. Bad enough their running between the legs of some giant Brotos but theres also a buch of raptor like dinos in there with them. If that isnt enought the whole chase occurs in a tihjt valley with no room to manuvere and then of coourse thrown in the cliff edge crumbling beneath their feet. They should all have died right there. It was way over done.
    He pulled another Pellenor Fields, he totaly :wub:*ed that battle up royaly with the elephant charge. PJ has a thing for Crushing men and animals.

Now here I totally dissagrew and see you dont really understand the story of King Kong. Kong was a King where he lived. He would have stayed there as a King if civilised man had not discovered him. And what did they do with him. The drugged him and removed him to become a curiosity just for their pleasure and amusment. I think they did an even better job than the original in this respect as Ann Durrow was very confincing n showing how she understood and cared for the beast. Its the classic story of Beauty and the Beast . I cant believe you dont get. I tear up everytime I see the original and this one had the same effect. Id give it an 8 out of 10. Great shots of Old NY as well.
    I totaly misunderstand the story of king kong? no I understand what I'm supposed to feel. I just don't feel the same way as you. I'm looking at how Kong destroyed about a dozen of the ventures crew who had not signed up to hunt a 25 foot tall ape. I'm looking at how Kong runs through New York city trampeling and crushing innocent bystanders and picking up every blond he can find and throwing them through the air. Regardless of him being taken from his Island, I don't get GLEE and HAPPINESS when Kong kills people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast