Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are we done whining about this great strategy game?

Default are we done whining about this great strategy game?

A year and a Half has passed since I started playing RTW, and I have yet to get bored with the game. :laughing: When I first started I came to this forum to get the inside scoop on the game. And that I got. But, what I also got was a lot of whining ! It seemed Creative Labs was dumbest group of guys ever, according to many of the whiners! Saga, was going to ruin it and all the World was going to cease to exist as we know it, and if that did not happen then everyone was going to stop playing unless more changes where made! Well, the patches have come, Saga has not ruined it. (Thought their Play station game looks kind of lame.) And, I think the patches have vastly improved it and answered many of the whiners request! So, my question is… are we done whining about this great strategy game that has consumed so many of us?
    Senator

O'brien the Protector's Avatar Lord of the Mannequins

i think i see your point. Why complain about something you dont like? what type of a idoit would do that?

"are we done whining about this great strategy game that has consumed so many of us?"
    the people who are complaining are the ones ouside of the people consumed by the game, the reason thier complaning: their not consumed. They are not whining to spite people who like the game, but becuase they dont like certian aspects of the game. What people use to be saying was that saga was going to turn TW into a mindless game, something that we have still to see ( with the next TW). what people were really complaining about was that there were many bugs, especaily with the AI, and when we asked CA to change that, they replied in one of the rudest and most unprofesional ways possible. Not much has changed, their has been some improvement through patches, and there has been improvement, but it is nothing like what some of us asked for, and never will be. Basicly, we werent whining simply to **** people off, we wanted changes we never got,the same thing hapens with every game ever released, i think its simply rare for the group of complainers to be so large or literate.
    I guess what im trying to say is; dont complain about complaining.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    -(Under the patronage of the humble, yet all powerful Lord Sephiroth.)-Royal House of the Black Prince

Lord of the Mannequins~Protector of Happiness, Bishop of Liberty, Guard of Hypocracy, Patriarch of Duality,O'briantheProtector(OBP)

I try not to complain about RTW all that much. Sure there are little bugs that "bug" me(ahahahaha so funny), but overall I ****ing love this game AND BI. It hasn't really gotten old from since when I got about 8 months ago(although its not as mind blowing as when it was "new") and it's also gotten me a lot more interested in history. Two thumbs way up for RTW and RTW:BI!

I can say that after getting the game the first day it was out, this has been truely a great game. There are some things taht I wish I could change (ai), but I can definently see myself playing this for a few more years. Overall, his game just really needed a few patches amd some skin tweaking to get a truely perfect stratagy game. So good luck and the next TW and great job CA!!

Why don’t presidents fight the war?
    Why do they always send the poor?

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Yeah, this game gets no respect from gamers. I think it is human nature to take things for granted and expect more and more until its perfect. The problem is that nothing is perfect. RTW has gotten me very interested in history and ancient battles too.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius
    Yeah, this game gets no respect from gamers. I think it is human nature to take things for granted and expect more and more until its perfect. The problem is that nothing is perfect. RTW has gotten me very interested in history and ancient battles too.

The problem is this:
    STW > MTW > RTW

People going back and playing have trouble dealing with the graphics, but people who played the earlier games didnt get drawn into RTW like they did STW & RTW.

That being said RTW is a great game, just didnt compare to what MTW was for me. If it did I wouldnt be on this foru, with so many posts. I would be playing like I did for MTW.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

^^^^

WHAT!?? I've never played MTW but I hear its a great game so I'll reserve judgement on that...but RTW absolutely mops the floor with STW in every single possible way. Don't get me wrong...I LOVED STW when it came out, but it isn't half the game that RTW is.

the AI is terrible

I can't even GIVE the Sassanids their lands back - along with nice bag of gold, because it is quote "Not to our benefit"

another thing that is really lame is the eternal wars you get into over a couple of the AI's fisherman blockading your port, meanwhile the AI has 1 province and 3 units of militia in there capital.

its a joke when compared with other games diplomacy. atleast in other games, the AI doesn't make decisions that are distinctly not to their benefit. sure you're never going to get a perfect AI that is challenging to people who sit there and master the game dynamics, but is it really to much to ask that the AI doesn't screw itself in the ass -every- time?

RTW is a great game, i think everybody would agree on that. BI isn't so good as nothing much new and good is really added and many features made worse like the map, the campaign AI, the game balancing the way 5000 men can magically appear behind your expensive and extensively defended border line when they become a horde

The main problems people have had with RTW have been the quality of the skins, the AI and the bugs. They all seem to have been the result of cutting edges most probably to get the game out on time.

Thanks to the modding community here the game engine RTW provides can last for much longer as i'm sure almost everybody is sick of the vannila campaign by now. The modding community has also cured the bad skin problem (lets call it leprosy). Thanks to RTW being quite modable it's life will be constantly extended by fans improving the game. The AI has been greatly improved, though there is always room for more improvment. Thanks to the many patches most of the bugs seem to have been fixed. Though i would like the movie editor to work in all versions!

All in all rome is a great game but don't forget that the efforts and whinning of the fans has made it better, and hopefully will inspire an equally modable perfect sequel.

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Not me! I gott drawn in just as much with every new TW game. The only thing I miss are the movies with ninja assasinations.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

ive got 2 things 2 say
    1st its not saga its sega saga is a ckub 4 over 50s in the uk

and i also want the assaination movies 2
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

Great Reply Guys! I just gotta say that I am hooked on RTW, and yes it has some problems. But, in time I see great things for this engine style of play. It holds the best of two worlds TB & RT and if they are smart the best of three FP. They could but a first person style play in for your assassins and spys. Down the road when they put guns ,cannons ,ship battles and even aircraft into it, Watch out!!! This will be the hotest gaming engine in town. Lets hope our whining continues in a constructive way to motivate Sega (not Saga)& CSA to make it even better.
    Senator

Taelok's Avatar Senator

I played STW and MTW quite heavily for a while, but then stopped. I heard about RTW but I wasn't really interested at all, not sure why. I remember when I decided to try out the demo for fun, and how amazed I was at the game that I went out and bought it within 30 minutes.

I guess, for me, it helped that I didn't expect the game to be a huge improvement over the previous two. In my case, I got more than I imagined :-).

Merry Christmas everyone, and thanks CA for a great game :-).

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Hell just seeing the first pics of Rome in a gaming magazine told me that this was superb. The only thing now that should be added is a TW game in the age of gunpowder and tactical ship combat. Then I can die happy.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

If CA would let the modders get a crack at the AI and diplomacy, it would be the greatest game. Until these things are addressed, it can only be considered good. Mods were the only thing that kept me playing. 2yrs. of vanilla? No way.

should be added is a TW game in the age of gunpowder and tactical ship combat. Then I can die happy.
    Amen to that, and

a crack at the AI and diplomacy, it would be the greatest game.
    Amen to that

And Throw in First Person for the Assassins and Spies! Man what a game it would be!!! But even still it is a great game!!!

Merry Christmas folks
    Senator

Well its the holidays and I've had a chance to hang with some friends and we've been comparing RTS': Some of the leading names: AOEII, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth 2, AOEIII, Warcraft 3(IMO qualifies), and though all are good games(in some cases great games) I can't see any of them really coming close to RTW. I can't play ANY other strategy games after this. This was the ultimate. Cool time period, highly varied armies, great strategy aspect, fun map game and battle game as well. So the AI isn't superb...in what game IS the AI perfect?? None!! The only game that could possibly come close to RTW from what I've heard is MTW. That game seemed like it owned. A bit dated now but must've been a masterpiece in its time. IMHO, RTW is the ultimate strategy game, by far the best I've played.

Default Whining

"AI" = Artificial Intelligence, not a human brain. Hence the mistakes AI makes, most humans even make mistakes.

RTW is a great game, play as different factions, crank up the difficulty level, add mods, etc. The different games are multitude.

A new game coming out that should be really good,

http://www.riseandfallgame.com/

Looks cool, but I'll still play RTW as well. I left one of the other boards because of all the whining. So far this board is much better.

The game has really gotten me into history, my Roman book collection has grown & I might go to Italy next year.

The problem is this:
    STW > MTW > RTW

People going back and playing have trouble dealing with the graphics, but people who played the earlier games didnt get drawn into RTW like they did STW & RTW.

That being said RTW is a great game, just didnt compare to what MTW was for me. If it did I wouldnt be on this foru, with so many posts. I would be playing like I did for MTW.
    True Rtw will never replace the experience I had with MTW.
    and i m pretty positive that many of the TW veterans would agree with me.

there is just something missing in rtw that mtw had and we arent quite sure what that is.

Mtw was missing Stw's campaign videos, and Rtw is missing ....? i dono but it just isnt mtw.

did u see the videos for rise and fall? it looks like crap

and also stainless steel studios abandonned the project for "x reasons" leaving it all to Midway.

now how can u say a midway rts will be a good game lol

it looks like a fun "arcade" style game any mediocre gamer will love but nothing a true tw fan will enjoy.
    Last edited by Hyungoku; December 25, 2005 at 02:46 PM.

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

Most men complacently accept knowledge as truth. They are sheep ruled by fear

RTW provides the basic bones to make a good game, however vanilla is far from perfect. In fact vanilla is dismal at times, the AI can't build armies, 'egyptians', everything is underdeveloped, 10 second long battles, horrible skins, historical inaccuracy (and yes history is fascinating, CA neglecting historical accuracy for 'better gameplay' is ridiculous, especially since the gameplay CA delivers is mediocre, THATS JUST INSULTING!).

Plus the game is lacking a certain something...character prehaps? And while the engine is more complex than MTW and STW the actual game is shallower, one of the problems being the lack of provinces that gave certain bonuses to your troops (some areas in France in MTW gave you valour bonuses to knights or crossbowmen for example), just one of the things missing from RTW.

However! The modding communities for this game are astounding, mods like RTR and SPQR (and EB soon, not long now lads) reinvent the way the game is played and add in more depth, detail and fun! All of the different gameplay additons and mods made by the community are all the more impressive considering they have got no support from CA (literally, NO support whatsoever). Sure HL2 mods are impressive, but Valve is great with it's community. You kind of appreciate the RTW mods more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast