Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jirisys' Phalanx Mod (Reduplicated)

clone's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Jirisys' Phalanx Mod (Reduplicated)

When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

jirisys's Avatar Senator

No.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature
    Because we all need to compensate...

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Principe Alessandro View Post
    Sorry but this answer is a bit cryptic. Can I or not add the short_pike attribute with units that has the spear as the secondary weapon?
    New version, just made it today, can you test it out for me going through all hoplites, pseudo-hoplites, phalangites and pseudo-phalangites of every faction?

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c2b7...descr_unit.txt

EB\sp game edu backup

Thanks.

~Jirisys ()
    Last edited by jirisys; January 23, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Signature

GethHunterJ's Avatar Foederatus

I really like this animation, is there anyway I can use this in a different mod?

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by GethHunterJ View Post
    I really like this animation, is there anyway I can use this in a different mod?
    What do you mean.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

GethHunterJ's Avatar Foederatus

Is there anyway I can use this phalanx animation in a different mod?

Hey guys, first time poster here. EB is one of my all-time favourite games. I've been away from it for about 4-5 years, and it's improved greatly. Long story short, I have a stable version of EB 1.2 + all 1.2 fixes installed and working flawless. I would love to add this minimod, as I think it is much-needed for realism purposes (I cannot "unsee" phalanx units dragging their spears now!).

I have a strange problem, I can't get the file on the first page here to work, units don't behave how they're supposed to. The corollary to this is that if I instal jirisys's Megamod pack, the Phalanx mod aspect of it works correctly. Personally, while I find most of the mods added by said megamod pack to be awesome, the decrease in stability leads me to opt for "cherry picking" the few that I want (correct eastern portraits, forced diplomacy, and this phalanx mod).

If someone could please shed some light on my issue/re upload the file it, would be greatly appreciated. I apoligise if this is seen as a necro post, but I can't find a working copy of the file anywhere!

jirisys's Avatar Senator

What do you mean by 'I can't get the file on the first page here to work'? Can you not download it? It's not save-game compatible, so test it with a custom battle to see if it's working.

Here's the file I have in my computer right now. I can't remember if it's updated in the first page, but I think this is the best one around.

export_descr_unit.txt

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

Hey jirisys, thanks for the speedy response! Clearly I'm doing some obvious bone-headed mistake that is not making this export_descr_unit.txt file work. I haven't seen anyone else in the threads complaining about it not working, so I'll walk you through my setup/attempt.

I installed Rome from a Rome:Total War Gold DVD (has Barbarian Invasion) so it's version 1.5 Rome, 1.6 BI? This goes into a custom made-directory of C:/Rome - Total War. I then install EB 1.1 into the custom made directory of C:/Rome - Total War. I install the Trivial Script into C:/ Rome - Total War as well. I then install EB 1.2 into C:/Rome - Total War. For the record, I launch EB from the EB single player .exe which I then make a shortcut to my desktop. I've always been a little unclear as to which .exe we're supposed to launch EB from, a modified Rome .exe, or the EB .exe itself?)

This is where I think I'm making an obvious mistake, so your insight would be appreciated. I take the export_descr_unit.txt file, and copy + paste (or just drag n' drop) it into my C:/Rome - Total War directory. That's how I read the instructions on the original post. To me, I don't understand how this would work, as the original export_descr_unit.txt is in my C:/Rome - Total War/data folder, and the other one is in my C:/Rome - Total War/EB/Data folder.

To be clear, when I tried out your MegaMod jirisys, the phalanx mod aspect of it worked perfectly- I tested this by starting a new Koinon Hellenon campaign, and attacking a Makedonia general on the first turn (I start with a few units of Spartans). This annoys the heck out of me, as I don't want to start a new EB campaign without it (want to play Makedonia). I'd really like to get this, in my opinion, critical mod working as I'm a big fan of the phalanx in general, and always remember being frustrated with how they performed/behaved back in the day when I used to play EB- this completely remedies this! This confuses me as I'm not inexperienced with installing PC game mods- I think this is actually the first time I've had any problems (always play heavily modded Fallout1/2, Thief 1/2, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Systems chock 2, Deus Ex, etc,). Your insight would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Ishan; December 19, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Double Post

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Ah, I think the last version I had, had the file directory list already in place in the compressed file, so it wasn't needed. But with the single file, you actually need to paste it into your RTW\EB\Data\ and RTW\EB\sp game edu backup\ folders manually, not in your main RTW folder.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

Yep, that did the trick! Thanks for your assistance jirsys, much appreciated! Time to resurrect the empire of Alexandros as Makedonia now!

Firstly, I beg your forgiveness for this 'necro'.

I have got it working, but am seeing the same issue prior mentioned by Frtigern, in that the rosters are skewed, at least for MP. I've never used notepad++, and am not sure how I would. Looking that up now, but any hints/tips while I'm at it?

I say this all because this mod is so much superior to the phalanxes prior that I could hardly believe this wasn't in vanilla EB.

jirisys's Avatar Senator

I guess that problem has to do with ownership. The ownership values for the SP and MP edu are different. I think because of model-related issues (no 2 units with the same model or something of the sort) and recruitment. Unless you're telling me you edited the MP file's values and somehow it altered the unit rosters.

I would need a few more details to give a concise answer however.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

To be certain, I'll be doing a fresh install of EB just in case. (might be bothersome to some, but I have a sort of OCD with modding, need to get it just right). Well, my question is that of procedure, the original poster had stated that the replacement that needed to be done was just this one. Should I be doing more?

'To install the Phalanx Mod, simply extract into the folder you have installed EB into (it is probably called Rome: Total War unless you have changed it). DO NOT extract into your EB mod folder (which is contained inside your Rome: Total War folder). Directions on how to install the Aquilifer Mod are included at the bottom of this post. You may want to back up your export_descr_unit files in case you decide you want to revert back to vanilla.'

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Just replace the file in your EB\Data and EB\sp game edu backup folder. The thing is, that the MP and SP EDUs are not the same, so if you want to apply the phalanx mod to the MP EDU, you'll have to do it manually yourself; i.e. edit the text file.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    Just replace the file in your EB\Data and EB\sp game edu backup folder. The thing is, that the MP and SP EDUs are not the same, so if you want to apply the phalanx mod to the MP EDU, you'll have to do it manually yourself; i.e. edit the text file.

~Jirisys ()

Ah, okay. Thank you. Yeah, I would prefer being able to change the phalanxes in MP as well, they're a lot more fun to work with this way, and custom battles are a blast. How best would I edit the EDU such that it works on both modes with no roster-skew? Is that where notepad++ comes in?

Quote Originally Posted by Janas View Post
    Ah, okay. Thank you. Yeah, I would prefer being able to change the phalanxes in MP as well, they're a lot more fun to work with this way, and custom battles are a blast. How best would I edit the EDU such that it works on both modes with no roster-skew? Is that where notepad++ comes in?

So I'd be editing the 'export_descr_unit.txt' to account for the differences of the spear-fix mod with something else to assure roster stability?

Anyone? Has anyone used this for SP+MP that might have the edited files handy? I'm not certain what I'd be editing. I hate to triple-post, but I don't believe I can edit my posts yet.

Sorry for necro , but i do have some questions , regarding the Mega Mod version of this mod.

a) Does it apply to Makedon's Hypaspistai this mod ?
    b) I install the Mega mod version but on Makedon's Classical Hoplites it does not hsow on description that they can form phalanx ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12