Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jirisys' Phalanx Mod (Reduplicated)

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Icon3 Jirisys' Phalanx Mod (Reduplicated)

As you have all seen the Phalanx Mod made by TWFanatic.

However the link to his files have been lost.

I, however, have made the reduplication of the mod. The units included are:

Quarthadastim: Sacred Band Infantry, Elite African Pikemen, Liby-Phoenician Infantry, Liby-Phoenician Heavy Infantry, Poeni Citizien Militia.

Sweboz: Germanic Pike Infantry.

Celtic: Mori Gaesum (Helvetii Phalanx)

Hellenic: All classical hoplites and Macedonian phalanxes except for Celto-Hellenic Hoplite (their javelins become a spear held upwards).

Eastern: Babylonian Heavy Spearmen, Armenian Noble Infantry.

I hope you enjoy it.

Here's the Original Mod:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by TWFanatic View Post
    The Phalanx/Aquilifer Mod Patch 1.2 Compatible
    My Christmas gift to the EB Community.
    In case you are wondering why elephants and chariots are mentioned in the title, this is because they used to be bugged. They were fixed in 1.1 though and so I have minimized the area of modification to the phalanx units. There is also an Aquilifer mod if you want Aquilifers for your first cohorts.
    I will give the download links immediately for those of you who don’t want to bother trudging through all that text. Both are savegame compatible.
    Download the Phalanx Mod here:
    http://files.filefront.com/Phalanx+M.../fileinfo.html
    Download the Aquilifer Mod here:
    http://files.filefront.com/Eagle+bea.../fileinfo.html
    To install the Phalanx Mod, simply extract into the folder you have installed EB into (it is probably called Rome: Total War unless you have changed it). DO NOT extract into your EB mod folder (which is contained inside your Rome: Total War folder). Directions on how to install the Aquilifer Mod are included at the bottom of this post. You may want to back up your export_descr_unit files in case you decide you want to revert back to vanilla. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help.
    To avoid confusion, here is a brief overview of terms I use:
    Macedonian phalanx - Any unit with the “phalanx” special ability uses what I term the Macedonian phalanx.
    Classical or Hoplite phalanx - Any unit that fights in the hoplite-style phalanx. These units are easily recognizable by name or description. The hoplite phalanx is a tightly packed formation with overlapping shields and spears protruding from above, an impenetrable wall of bronze, iron and oak, an implacable force made seemingly not of individuals but a single inexorable contraption, an…OK you get the idea, I’ll stop.
    NOTE: Despite that last comment, I am not a phalanx fan boy. Phalanx units—particularly Macedonian phalanxes—are not necessarily improved with this mod. And I like the Celtic factions best if that means anything…
    NOTE # 2: Guard mode is no longer necessary! You do not need it. You fight better without it and can still keep a cohesive formation. Also, you no longer need to stand still and receive a charge. Hoplites now deliver a crushing charge and will maintain formation while (and after) doing so. Thanks to Barrabas for pointing this out.
    Here is a brief overview of the changes made in the Phalanx Mod (Scroll down to see the Aquilifer and how to install it.):
    -to Macedonian phalanxes: -.03 spear lethality, -1 sword attack, -2 armor, + 2 defense skill; given spear attribute (light_spear attribute removed).
    What this means: Although Macedonian phalanxes maintain their attack ratings, decreased lethality causes their hits to knock opponents down more frequently (rather than kill). The decrease in armor is made up for in head on contests (when unit is in phalanx) by the increase in skill, which effects melee defense from the front and left (shield) sides; armor effects missile and melee defense from all sides. Thus, Macedonian phalanxes are now more vulnerable to missiles fired from any direction, but particularly at their exposed rear and flanks. They are also more vulnerable to flanking attacks. The spear attribute makes them push more and harder (something phalanxes were very good at). The downside to this attribute is that it can make units push so hard that their formation loses cohesion.
    -to Classical (Hoplite) phalanxes: -.02 spear lethality, -2 armor, + 2 shield defense, +3 charge bonus; given short_pike attribute; given spear attribute (light_spear attribute removed).
    What this means: See Macedonian phalanxes. The changes are similar except that hoplites receive an increase in shield defense rather than defense skill. This is because hoplite phalanxes in EB do not use phalanx, and thus are not nearly as resistant to missiles from the front and left side as are the Macedonian variety, whose shield defense is doubled when in phalanx.
    Hoplites too get a reduction in lethality so as to better reflect hoplite warfare. Casualties were generally few until one formation or another broke from the extreme force of the pressing phalanx--that was when the real killing began. The spear attribute makes them push more and harder (something hoplites were very good at). The downside to this attribute is that it can make units push so hard that they break formation. In combination with a cohesive formation trait such as the short_pike attribute, however, they maintain formation and the ability to push hard.
    The biggest change here is indeed the short_pike attribute. This does a number of things. First, it shrinks their spears from approximately twelve feet in length to nine. Twelve feet is simply inaccurately long for classical hoplites or Spartiates.
    The other effects I will show below with screen shots.
    BEFORE:

They march with the tops of their spears magically dragging beneath the ground and their butt spikes in the air.
    AFTER:

They march with spears held level and pointed forward.
    BEFORE:

They break formation and charge like unorganized rabble.
    AFTER:

They stay in a tight, orderly formation and slam into the enemy as one - an invincible, unstoppable phalanx.
    BEFORE:

They fight like barbarians, individuals fighting for personal glory with no resemblance of a formation.
    AFTER:

They fight like, well, a phalanx! A single, implacable body pushing the enemy backwards with great force until they finally break and run.

Here's the link

http://www.mediafire.com/?ajiiiogigrzp21u

~Jirisys ()
    Last edited by jirisys; March 29, 2013 at 05:54 PM.
    Signature
    Because we all need to compensate...

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Jirisys' Phalanx Mod (Reduplicated)

This contains a single export_descr_unit.txt file. I was under the impression that EB changes this file each time. What happens with the same file in the 'sp game edu backup' folder?
    Last edited by Boriak; January 27, 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Boriak's Avatar Senator

I gave this mod a try. I put three units in a custom battle. Carthage played with Sacred Band, Poeni Citizen militia and Liby-Phoenician Infatnry. Koinon played with Spartian Hoplies, Levy Hoplites and Greek General.

The only unit that carried their spears in horizontal position were the Poeni Citizen Militia. Greek General units has very short spears but they are not the Vanilla spear one usually sees with moving infantry. While charging men from all units stuck together as they should.

So this mod partially works for me. How to make them to the rest?

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Boriak View Post
    This contains a single export_descr_unit.txt file. I was under the impression that EB changes this file each time. What happens with the same file in the 'sp game edu backup' folder?
    Replace both

I gave this mod a try. I put three units in a custom battle. Carthage played with Sacred Band, Poeni Citizen militia and Liby-Phoenician Infatnry. Koinon played with Spartian Hoplies, Levy Hoplites and Greek General.

The only unit that carried their spears in horizontal position were the Poeni Citizen Militia. Greek General units has very short spears but they are not the Vanilla spear one usually sees with moving infantry. While charging men from all units stuck together as they should.

So this mod partially works for me. How to make them to the rest?
    I have no idea what you are saying, It should work completely regardless of anything.

~Jirisys (I've tested it)
    Signature

Hi this mod,work on EB 1.2 Alex engine ?????

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Yes... Both of them

~Jirisys (Alex, BI, RTW, your car, the windows on your office, etc.)
    Signature

Hi Jirisys,

The link seems to be broken. I don't like filefont. Do you have an alternative. Thanks much!

Michael

yep the link does not work.

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Kuman View Post
    Hi Jirisys,

The link seems to be broken. I don't like filefont. Do you have an alternative. Thanks much!

Michael
    Filefactory and Megaupload?

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    Filefactory and Megaupload?

~Jirisys ()
    where can i find the megaupload thing? please help i really like the idea of this mod

Dear Jirisys,

The filefactory link is broken. Any alternative?

Michael

Frtigern's Avatar Tiro

Jirisys' Phalanx Mod Reduplication. at totalwar.org

Replacing the multiplayer edu with it threw out the previous unit recruitment rosters out the window. Perhaps kirisys you could make an mp edu that preserves the original recruitment rosters?

Finally a mod that entices me to role-play as Sparta, now that they fight like Spartans!

Hi Jirisys, I want to make your Phalanx Mod compatible with Casual Tactician's Extended Unit Info Mod but I need to know the list of the units altered by your mod.

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Principe Alessandro View Post
    Hi Jirisys, I want to make your Phalanx Mod compatible with Casual Tactician's Extended Unit Info Mod but I need to know the list of the units altered by your mod.
    Use notepad++'s compare on an original EB and this EDU.

IIRC though, it was only the overarm hoplites, phalangites (including pseudo-phalangites) and non sword weilding/javelin throwing hoplites.

But use notepad++'s compare.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

Good, thanks. I'll upload the txt when I'm done.

EDIT

Scrolling your EDU I noticed that you changed the stats of Iphikratous phalanx but not the mercenary version of the unit.
    Last edited by Principe Alessandro; December 19, 2011 at 05:12 PM.

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Good, thanks. I'll upload the txt when I'm done.

EDIT

Scrolling your EDU I noticed that you changed the stats of Iphikratous phalanx but not the mercenary version of the unit.
    Weird... Though now I'm starting from scratch.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

Hi jirisys I have some questions

In the OP you said that you cannot change the hypaspistai and the celtohellenic infantry for not having them the spear as primary weapon while in the EDU I have seen that you changed the Agema Hellenikon (a saka super heavy hoplite unit) to short pike in the secondary weapon line despite having the sword as primary.

In short I don't understand what is the logic behind this.

Also I'd like to know if the EDU in your mod pack is further improved or is the same as the one in your phalanx mod.

Greetings

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Also I'd like to know if the EDU in your mod pack is further improved or is the same as the one in your phalanx mod.

Greetings
    It's not.

It is.

Respectively.

Hello to you.

In short I don't understand what is the logic behind this.
    There isn't any.

It's a lapse of logic.

~Jirisys ()
    Last edited by jirisys; January 04, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by jirisys View Post
    There isn't any.

It's a lapse of logic.

~Jirisys ()
    Sorry but this answer is a bit cryptic. Can I or not add the short_pike attribute with units that has the spear as the secondary weapon?

jirisys's Avatar Senator

Sorry but this answer is a bit cryptic. Can I or not add the short_pike attribute with units that has the spear as the secondary weapon?
    No. No short_pike unless it's a 1-weapon hoplite.

~Jirisys ()
    Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast