Thread: When to take Rome?

Default When to take Rome?

Hey all. I'm a noob to RTW, but fairly experienced with MTW, so I understand the game mechanics and what not. Anyway, this is my first game with RTW and my situation is as follows:

1. Playing as the Julii, current year is 153BC.
    2. I hold essentially all of Europe except for Greece and Italy south of Rome. I have destroyed Gaul, Spain, Britannia, Germania, and Thrace. Currently in the process of finishing the Scythians. Carthage, Numidia, Macedon, the Greek Cities, and Pontus are also gone at the hands of the Brutii, Scipii, or Egyptians. My most significant border is with the Brutii, who hold all of Greece, including Macedon and the Bosphorus, as well as Asia Minor. The Scipii have a strong naval force but are confined to Sicily and all of Africa west of Egypt.
    3. The Brutii have by far the largest military force, though I have an advantage in production, population, and territory.
    4. I have received the message that says the people would welcome me if I chose to march on Rome and the Senate screen indicates I am hated by the Senate (although I hold all but one of the offices) and loved by the people.

I guess my question is: What do I need to do before I take Rome?

How will the Brutii and Scipii react when I attack Rome? Will they try and defend Rome or will they invade my territory wherever they can? Should I build up a massive invasion force and attack all of their major cities simultaneous with attacking Rome?

Also how do you force a faction to become a protectorate?--I've received the mission many times, but everytime I'm either flat out rejected or the faction asks for about 20 territories.

A civil war will erupt, it will be you vs. rome, sicipii and brutii, so be prepared on all fronts, and have fun, good luck, but id suggest taking greece quickly, rich cities will take the brutiis capacity down alot. -Leon

I've not played many civil wars as i prefer going other nations. Is there ever a time when you won't be against the senate and the 2 other factions, or will you sometimes still be allied with 1 for a while and also do you always start a civil war or can the brutii for example do it?
    Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!

I would take the opportunity to balance your econemy and get rid of whatever soldiers you don't need. In time the senate will outlaw you anyway and i guess that will be very soon.

Since you will be fighting 3 nations with equally good troops (though their lack of experience might be an advantage) i would suggest 4 attacks all at once. One to take and hold carthage. The second to take Syracuse. The third to take Alexandria (or if you have it already then athens). The forth to take Rome. This would allow you to take the econamic backbone out of your enemies in a series of surprise attacks. The plunder money and size of these settlements would also be very useful. Provided you back each of these armies up within 10 turns you could have all italy, sicily, carthage and africa under your control. Also since these provinces have big populations the extra taxes on their other provinces could mean revolts if you thin the other roman nation's military.

No matter what you do all romans will fight against you so getting rid of the senate is the best idea.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; December 23, 2005 at 01:05 PM.

if u have lots of money build a least one unit of onagars and make a massive army bring a diplomat near rome then seige rome with the army that has the onagars and attack straight away because the senate amry outside of rome will become a rebal army so send your diplomat 2 it and bribe it because it can be brided easyily then u have a new army and rome

O happy days
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus