Thread: Animations

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

Default Animations

We are seeking someone able to do those following animations :

- proper two-handed sword animation (very important !)
    - contus (sarmatian lance held with both hands when charging) animation
    - spear overhand for infantry
    - spear overhand for cavalry

Shrimpy is very good with animations, but he was doing work for warhammer and has still some work to do for troy.

Maybe I can ask him for later ? The two overhands animations will not be too difficult to make, I think. But the two-handed one and the contus one will be much more

I think it's overexaggurated how difficult animations are to make, as long as you keep the start and end positions like they are (or else you will have some weird behavior switching from one to another). though I don't believe that overhand are very easy (I think we will have those in our mod too). there ain't very similar animations in vanilla, so you'll make it for the whole range of the cavalry. but when I again think about it, there ain't that many animations for cavalry...

what are the two handed and contus you are talking about?

He's refering to two-handed sword (some units use swords in two hands, but, as I state in these points to quell complaint, these swords are NOT greatswords, just a sword used in two hands, sometimes with a long handle, but an otherwise normal sized blade), and the contus is a two-handed lance used from horseback I believe.

Here a view of our Kledwta :

They use the same animation as BI berserkers, the issue is that those berserkers use a very, very long grip (totally inaccurate as usual with CA), and we can't use a such grip.

Here our Marca Contwn charging :

A good animation would be like this :

that sarmatian are wicked.

maybe we could split up, making some animations each and sharing. I don't know whether the two handed swordsmen animation is relevant to us, but it doesn't seem like too much trouble. you focus more on gaels then us, but overhand fighting would be a really nice bonus for us. if you get somebody skilled and are interrested, let me know, maybe we could agree upon something that would mean less time spent on this for both. but I suspect the animators (as well as all the other specification modding skills) to be captured by the earlier started mods, so reqruiting is a long shot. in aovaf we've pretty much learned that you'll have to do it yourself.

do you know if there was anybody else using this ancient style ranika?

Plenty. Various Picts, Britons, etc., all fought overhand at different times, Picts especially, because fighting overhand was a good way to combat other infantry.

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Cool!
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Plenty. Various Picts, Britons, etc., all fought overhand at different times, Picts especially, because fighting overhand was a good way to combat other infantry.
    Did they happen to fight with spears in kung fu style as well? I know the Germans did. Traces have been found suggesting hacking with the spears. That would make very much sense knowing their fighting technique was based on just man-to-man and not formation against formation.

Btw, the fs_javelinman could be used for the overhand animation.

It seems like all spearmen will fight overhand, especially in shieldwall. Ranika told it was like this for the Gaels and Picts, Vortigern said the same for the Britons and Hross for the Saxons.

I know Blindfaith tried to learn animation, Professor S from Imperia Romana told me that they may have animations also.

For the two-handed fellows, we got so far 3 units needing this animation :
    - Kledwta, AoR of Alcluyd
    - Saxon Bilweru
    - Dinuadda Claiomhnaghta for the Gaels

The mod Hegemonia seems to have some overhand animations for their hoplites aswell, maybe we can ask them ?

Another solution may be to ask Zhanguo team.