Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polish Unit Discussion

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Polish Unit Discussion

POLISH UNIT DISCUSSION

Firstly, I salute all you fine gentlemen who have created a trully incredible improvement that has made me waste away my days conquering ruthlessly in the name of king and country

As the title suggests, I'd like to see if there is any current possibility that new Polish Units be implemented into the mod. After looking at other mods, and reading through Proposals of PrisonNeo, King Louise Assurbanipal, Intel and many others, I wish to present the models already created as well as possibly new ideas that could be implemented. Quite simply, the Polish Military is, compared to the Russians, Swedes and Prussians, bland and not represented very well. They look far better than vanilla, but need more soldiers to represent the diversity of the military and the changes that took place in the mid and late 18th century.

So...

Polish Guard Cuirrasiers
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Pancerni

Pospolite Ruszenie

Polish Reformed Infantry

(This could be a special unit, as I feel that red instead of yellow would better represent the dress of that time)

Polish Soldiers from 1697-1795

Also, I think that Polish Militia should be armed with axes as hand to hand weapons. And Look something more like this...

Last edited by Everto; November 02, 2010 at 12:50 PM.

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Default Re: Polish Unit Discussion

it is something we have discussed at length and would be a good addition, I will move to the sub-mod section for discussion
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Lol got it sir

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator
    Last edited by ♔hammeredalways♔; November 01, 2010 at 08:58 PM.
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

kenniston5's Avatar TAR local moderator

not polish,i'm a 6th generation american with english and spanish heritage,but i do love playing as Poland there is something about them and i do wish there were more units implemented into the game

@ hammeredalways, i'm glad that you brought the issue of the "Gwardia Piesza Koronna", which I believe look absolutely stunning and fit into the timeperiod perfectly. Arguabley they could be a replacement of the current grenadiers seeing as the current polish grenadiers have similar uniforms, simply their hats are different, and i'd argue that the "Royal Foot Guard" (translation) is much more fitting with their hat and should replace the current Polish Grenadier head gear.

Yet as is obviously known, the Poles lack any reflection of their diverse infantry, which could be argued was better organized and more efficient than their famed calvalry in the late 18th century.

For instance, as ilustrated in the following image, we have eight different various types of infantry, all of them supported by an illustration and an explanation.
    POLISH ARMY IN 1794
    1, 2 and 7- Infantry from the Wodzicki Regiment
    1- Adorned in a Dark Blue Uniform with Red Stripe down Pants and Red Inner Jacket. Dark Blue Hat with Silver Plate and White Trim on top. Criss crossing straps across chest (White)
    2- Adorned in a Dark Blue Uniform with Yellow Stripe down pants and Yellow Inner Jacket. Dark Blue Hat with White Cross and White Trip On top. Criss crossing straps across chest (white)
    7- Adorned in a Dark Blue Uniform with Red Stripe down Pants and Red Inner Jacket. Dark Blue Hat with Silver Plate and White Trim on top. Criss crossing straps across chest (White)

3- Infantry from the Dzialynski Regiment
    3- Adorned in a Dark Blue Uniform with white pants and Red Inner Jacket. Dark Blue Grenadier Hat with Gold Plate covering ENTIRE front. One White Strap

6- Sharpshooters/Light Infantry from the Dembowski Regiment
    6- Green Uniforms
    8- Sierakowski's Fusiliers
    8-Light Blue Uniforms

MORE WODZICKI REGIMENT IMAGES

Polish Army in 1791
    1. Oficer regimentu 10 pieszego koronnego szefostwa Działyńskiego w mundurze wielkim wg przepisu Komisji Wojskowej O.N z lipca 1789
    Polish Officer from 1789
    2. Żołnierz kompanii strze3leckiej regimentu 10 pieszego koronnego w mundurze wielkim z lat 1791-1792
    Polish Soldier from the 10th foot Sharpshooter Regiment
    3. Gemain (szeregowy) regimentu 10 pieszego koronnego w mundurze wielkim z lat 1791-1792
    Line Infantry from the 10th foot Guard Regiment

12 i 13 Regiment Koronny - 12th (white) and 13th (blue) Crown Infantry Regiment

Regiment Królewicza - Crown Prince's Own

Regiment Królowej - Queen's Own Regiment

Pułk Czartoryskiego - Czartoryski's Cossack Regiment

Straż Przednia Litewska - Lithuanian Front Guard
    Last edited by Everto; November 02, 2010 at 12:54 PM.

(ALL This Information is from KLA)

Polish guard cavalry, 1776 (Jan Czop)

Lithuanian guard cavalry, 1776 (Jan Czop)

Lithuanian guard & line infantry, 1776 (Jan Czop)

Polish guard and line infantry, 1776 (Jan Czop)

PLEASE! Implement this into DMUC! : O I always was annoyed that Prussia, Austria, France, GB, Russia, Sweden has many variants of infantry, and Poland is too poor in units for the major nation. Also I suggest to change Winged Hussars weapon from lance to sabre, lance fighting looks weird, in melee hussars were fighting with sabres, lance(extremely long, about 6 metres!) was used only for charge. Also they had NO WINGS! They were called "heavy hussars", but wings were used only for parades. It's historical myth, that polish hussars had wings - they doesn't.
    I think they need also some boost in fighting abilities, polish heavy hussars are best cavarly in the history of the world, some armies denied to fight with Poles only because of their hussars.
    Last edited by Granathar; December 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

polish winged hussars did have wings, its not a myth. Polish "Husaria" were the "Winged Hussars" that existed till the beggining of the 18th century, the later era hussars did not have wings nor did they have armour, and were not armed with lances but rather sabers. Lancers on the other hand took the place of the "husaria" in the polish ranks, creating an effective and modernized fighting unit that was more up to date than the, at that time, somewhat archaic husaria.

They had no wings in battle. It's historical myth, and it's not truth, everybody thinks they had, but wings were used only in parades, so many of artists painted them like that because they thought in battle they has wings too, some of them did that with premeditation because "wings are epic".
    Wings were probably used in battles aginst turks, because they were attached to saddle, which made a hussar almost impossible to throw from a horse(Turks were using a lasso to drag riders from the horse).

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

I wouldn't call it a myth.
    Historians argue if they wore wings in battles or not.
    Last edited by Xwhyzed; December 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM.

Lexandro81's Avatar Centenarius

For sure the first Hussars had feathers in the earlier centuries. Goold example with the turks!
    If they could afford it, they also weared lionskins to impresse the enemies and cause fear to them.
    This serbian Hussars with the feathers at their helmet allied with the hungarians.
    Later with Poland and Russia.

So there have been Hussars without feathers and with it (also an question of money, it's really expensive to pimp yourself up with eagle-feathers).

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Let us not forget that Poland did not exist alone it was in union with Lithuania. Units should be from both countries.
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Of course they should. Poland-Lithuania should have a regiments of cossacs too.

MatrixStorm's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    Let us not forget that Poland did not exist alone it was in union with Lithuania. Units should be from both countries.
    That's true.
    But the units should only be recruitable in their own countries.

Of course. Just like hungarian troops for Austria. Lwów, Galicja, Podolia should be able to recruit cossacs, Wilno - native lithuanian troops, and Warsaw - native polish troops.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

At present I am working hard on my Danish mod. But if by the time I'm finished someone else hasn't put these units into a mod, I will do so and other modders will be free to use it if they want as long as they credit me for my work.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

At the beggining of XVIII century Polish Winged Hussars were diminishing as a fighting unit due to changes on the battlefield (improved firing weapons) and slow decline of Polish army as a whole in that period. They were no more seen on on the battlefield, but rather on parades and funerals of Magnates and other nobles (they were even called "funeral army" by the people). This is when Hussar "uniform" gained in rich ornaments and many historians think that this is when they started using wings attached on their backs - a picture popularized in that period.
    Anyway, I think Winged Hussars should be recruitable from the beginning of the game and considerably more expensive both in recruitment and maintenance. It's very strange that you have to spend about 50 years to reinvent something that is (or should be) rather obsolete by the time you reach the sufficient technology level.

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    At the beggining of XVIII century Polish Winged Hussars were diminishing as a fighting unit due to changes on the battlefield (improved firing weapons) and slow decline of Polish army as a whole in that period. They were no more seen on on the battlefield, but rather on parades and funerals of Magnates and other nobles (they were even called "funeral army" by the people). This is when Hussar "uniform" gained in rich ornaments and many historians think that this is when they started using wings attached on their backs - a picture popularized in that period.
    Anyway, I think Winged Hussars should be recruitable from the beginning of the game and considerably more expensive both in recruitment and maintenance. It's very strange that you have to spend about 50 years to reinvent something that is (or should be) rather obsolete by the time you reach the sufficient technology level.
    /this
    Senoji Baltų Religija I really really like Kitties <3

Xwhyzed's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by BullGod View Post
    And you have to research bayonets too... there has to be something to do in game otherwise it would be quite boring.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast