Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 70.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

3 30.00%

Thread: PASSED[Citizen]nicoisbest (patron: Saint Nicholas)

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default PASSED[Citizen]nicoisbest (patron: Saint Nicholas)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    nicoisbest

nicoisbest
    At the suggestion of Saint Nicholas, I have decided to apply for citizenship. Having been a member for two and a half years, it's seems like the right time to do this.

I am an active member of the Alliance Gateway, Political Academy, and Political Mudpit, with other forums garnering lesser activity as well. First and foremost, I am dedicated to all discussions concerning socio-economics and politics, especially that of left and right ideologies. I am an infamous Communist, being both a common sight in nearly every single thread concerning leftist thought as well as an avid debater.

My most fulfilling and prized contribution to TWC is my Treatise of Communism and Claims Thereof, an analysis of the writings of Marx and Engels defining what Communism truly is for the many that lack my obsession with Communist writings, and to a lesser degree, of the contrast between Communism and regimes that have claimed such.

I am keen to back up my arguments with sources when it is necessary, and I have a tendency to point out the validity of the sources of others, as seen in my discussion in 40 Helpful Tips for Communists.

The big picture of a debate is important to me, and irrelevant aspects of a debate are often dropped and stated as such while I continue to argue concerning the actual topic of discussion, as seen in 40 helpful tips for Anti-Communists. This thread also highlights my ability to admit when I am wrong, as seen here.

In the Alliance Gateway, I have been a player for approximately two years, and have made an attempt at creating a single Alliance Game known as Fantasy Alliances X.0. Unfortunately, despite my hard work it failed to garner a viable player base and died. However, I find this frames my determination during a time when the Alliance Gateway was experiencing a low level of activity (from which it is just recovering). Threads belonging to FA X.0 can be found in the Alliance Gateway Archive.

Honestly, others help me a lot more than I help others (with everything from relationship advice to spreadsheet help) but there are quite a few instances where I have helped others, albeit in a typically minor way. The most common way I have helped others is through recommendation of anime in Recommend me an anime, Sher Khan!, the regulars (including myself) of which form a tight knit community with our own specialties and preferences. I have also on occasion helped with coding, recently seen with the [abbr] tag in Nico's Treatise on Communism and Claims Thereof.

A few more minor details: I was a local mod of the short-lived Terranova forum, before I requested it's deletion when it became inactive/dead. And I have a single blog of sorts known as A TWC life.

I sincerely hope you accept me as a Citizen, and look forward to seeing the results of the vote.

nicoisbest

Saint Nicholas

Saint Nicholas
    Yo, CdeCers. I've come across a diamond in the rough here. nicoisbest has caught my eye in the D&D forums. He's participated in many debates over the years he's spent here on TWC, always staying calm and presenting evidence and arguments in a clear and concise manner; I believe nico has earned the privilege of Citizenship. Not only is he an avid debater, he is a keen RPG player as well. He managed his own RPG and forum for a short while until it unfortunately collapsed, however this only shows the work ethic and sense of determination nico has for contributing to the forum. I hope you find him worthy for Citizenship as I do.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Citizen]nicoisbest (patron: Saint Nicholas)

I'll be doing research on this member.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I like this guy. He makes relevant points in debate and put a lot of effort into his posts. As an easy example, take a look at the treatise that he wrote on communism.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Content Emeritus

Agreed.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Hmmm...another challenging one.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Good candidate, voted yes.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!

Moderation history? Seems to be a solid member. Found a few post that are just a waste... one liners or a pic with a smiley. I would expect more from a civitate..... tough one.

EDIT: Look two post below the one Jom linked to and you will see what I mean about the waste of a post.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    Moderation history? Seems to be a solid member. Found a few post that are just a waste... one liners or a pic with a smiley. I would expect more from a civitate..... tough one.

EDIT: Look two post below the one Jom linked to and you will see what I mean about the waste of a post.
    One note for hard to read post in 08, one warning for off topic posting in 08 and one note for insulting others in 08.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post

Meh, what's he going to say to someone who simply denounces his form of communism as doomed to failure without any reasons why?

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

I would try to engage him or ignore such posts. Not all civitates post are exceptional I know that. I just happened to run across of few posts in a row like the one mentioned when I went randomly clicking through his posting history. I plan to keep looking as I am not convinced yet.

Saint Nicholas's Avatar No Avatar Specified

This kind of posting is easily curbed with a gentle PM sent to the member. It's not something that can't be fixed if it is deemed a serious problem.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

Nothing serious, like I said I happen to click on three in a row at random that where not contributing to the forum. I have looked over more of his history and am impressed. Will still try to research more before I decide.

I'd abstain as I do not consider myself well enough experience on this side of the forums.

Devoirs The Empress
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

As with meg I've abstained as I do not have the requisite knowledge to make an informed decision.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

A yes from me. I looked again over his posting history last night.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Role play tis not an easy thing and I always endeavor to give credit where credit is due to those that invest in it... Many do not give credence to posting in the TD {Thema Devia}, and although a heaven for spam, certain freestyle posting can accumulate merit. Sometimes not every post is going to be Nobel peace prize worthy, but often there is concerted efforts in structured posts....

I see a member who invests himself in numerous areas of the forum. Based on the endorsement of CdeC Members that invested in this applicant, I took the time to dig deeper than I ordinarily would. Solid contribution over an extended period of time equals Accumulation.

Voted yes, for a solid member and his accumulated contributions...

Post Scriptum: To the applicant...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Some linky's in your application would've been nice...
    Last edited by Mega Tortas de Bodemloze; November 06, 2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Post Scriptum
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

Passed and PMs forthcoming.

Devoirs The Empress

Public.
    Last edited by Empress Meg; November 08, 2010 at 06:22 PM.
    The Lordz Modding Collective
    "The LMC expects every modder to do his Duty" - not by Lord Nelson
    "Blow it out your arse." - Halie Satanus
    The Eagle Standard