Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NWN2?

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Default NWN2?

Having played NWN and absolutely loving it for gameplay, story, atmosphere and essentially everything about it, I was wondering about getting NWN2. I've looked about, and can't say I like the look/sound of it that much. Question to you is:
    Is it worth it?- Or will I be dissapointed?
    Last edited by Magefsx; October 31, 2010 at 03:10 PM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: NWN2?

A big disappointment.

Its better to keep playing NWN1, it has a very lively online community, many persistent worlds to choose from to roleplay at. Just a matter of downloading some hakpacks. the latest version of CEP is always recommended to have since its used rather often.

Many singleplayer adventures to download as well.

www.nwvault.com is your friend.

Don't listen to Inhuman One that much, he's pretty biased in this matter... (no offense intended)

Personally, I think that NWN 2 is made far worse by most people than it actually is. The gameplay tends to be a bit slower than in NWN 1 (especially because you have to control your entire party, which is noticeably larger than in NWN 1), but other than that, there aren't that many differences. The story is quite comparable, provided that you aren't out for a story that is filled to the brim with twists and turns. The atmosphere is something where NWN 1 definitely is a lot better at times - you do have music and atmospheric sounds in NWN 2, but those rarely reach the quality you can find in the first game. Still, the overall atmosphere is by no means bad.
    If you go for NWN 2, though, make sure to get all of the patches and/or addons. The original game was literally loaded with bugs, glitches and problems. Luckily, all of those have been solved by now. The addons are pretty well-done as well, especially Mask of the Betrayer that continues the story from the end of the original game. Storm of Zehir is more of a free-world spin-off that plays out parallel to MotB and has nothing to do with the original story.
    In any case, I don't think you would be disappointed much if you were to go for NWN 2. Sure, a game can rarely meet the quality of years upon years of fan community modding work (Inhuman One is right there, the modding community has pretty much turned NWN 1 inside out at a far greater level than the NWN 2 community ever started to think of), but that's no real reason to discard a game as rubbish.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; November 01, 2010 at 02:51 PM.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Sorry but the bugs are not gone, even with the latest patch this game is bug-ridden.
    I can't say how many times I had to start from the begining just because a door wouldn't open like it should or the save game makes the game crash from time to time.

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    A big disappointment.

Its better to keep playing NWN1, it has a very lively online community, many persistent worlds to choose from to roleplay at. Just a matter of downloading some hakpacks. the latest version of CEP is always recommended to have since its used rather often.

Many singleplayer adventures to download as well.

www.nwvault.com is your friend.
    Well, I think I'm more for the SP side of things as I dont want to dissapoint people through lack of time.
    Do you have any SP NWN modules to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    Sorry but the bugs are not gone, even with the latest patch this game is bug-ridden.
    I've played the latest version with all addons and I didn't encounter a single bug...

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Well, NWN2 takes away ALL Armour/Weapon customizations. THe ogriginal forces you to be an 18 year old farm boy.
    The graphics are good, but require a system better then what the graphics actually deserve.
    ITs more boring then the original, the characters are ghey and boring ('Cept the dwarf - but all Dwarves are awesome).
    TO play any server online you HAVE to download a file, reguardless if they use custom content or not.
    Its buggy.

The only thing NWN2 has going for it are its graphics, and how awesome the spells look.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

spells do look better in NWN2 and it has hats, but while the enviroments look alright, the character designs are just terrible. attractive characters cant be made with it, and while half elves do have their own unique appearance in this game, they look like the result of at least 10 generations of inbreeding.
    Theres also the rediculous amount of censorship. Nothing under the neck is shown aside from hands and feet. And the extreme limitations on armor and clothing customization are not helping with singleplayer modules either since you will see the same few models used all the time, and an unmodded NWN1 has thousands more options for it and anything can actually be recolored whereas you just paint over the base color in NWN2 which severely limits the options since it cant be made lighter if its initially dark.

But yes, www.nwvault.com is your friend.

To be more specific, you can check the hall of fame to find the top rated modules and see which one you like. If they use hakpacks (mods) they will list them and you can download them. If you are feeling creative, you can always modify such a campaign after you played it to suit your needs. decorating areas further, customizing NPC's and all that.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.HOF
    Here it is, a few hundred quality modules to keep you occupied for a lifetime with NWN, and thats still just the hall of fame. Theres plenty more on the vault that did not make it in there.

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Ah yes, so many, many ugly people, the elves where just hideous.

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

yes, while elves are supposed to be known for their beauty.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Magefsx View Post
    Having played NWN and absolutely loving it for gameplay, story, atmosphere and essentially everything about it, I was wondering about getting NWN2. I've looked about, and can't say I like the look/sound of it that much. Question to you is:
    Is it worth it?- Or will I be dissapointed?
    I liked it far more than NWN1. Happy with my purchase.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I wish there was an infinite dungeons module for this using the final expansions party system.

One thing I did not get about NWN2 was why were the combat animations FAR worse than NWN1?
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

I am still puzzled about that as well, and it was not just the combat animations. the idle animations where a bit too active, and characters did not look anymore at those walking past or talking close to them. They used to do that in NWN1.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

You can actually use NWN2 icons/spells in NWN1. NWN1 shines on multiplayer & has more players then NWN2. I personally still play NWN1 on a PvP server, however, there are numerous great role-play/social servers with 70+ players still active. As for NWN2 a huge disappointment; I unistalled the game some time ago. You're better of with NWN1; with the right HAKS NWN1 still looks really good.
    Last edited by Stario; November 30, 2010 at 05:16 AM.

Its not just spell icons, they also converted NWN2 objects and buildings to NWN1.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaultdwella View Post
    You can actually use NWN2 icons/spells in NWN1. NWN1 shines on multiplayer & has more players then NWN2. I personally still play NWN1 on a PvP server, however, there are numerous great role-play/social servers with 70+ players still active. As for NWN2 a huge disappointment; I unistalled the game some time ago. You're better of with NWN1; with the right HAKS NWN1 still looks really good.
    Plus you still have time stop if youare a mage, lol.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Persistent worlds are the only way to play NWN 1 or 2. I personally can't stomach the vanilla campaigns for more than 15 minutes.

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

My brother, niece and I play on a NWN2 PW...but when it comes to SP gameplay, NWN1 (with the community designed adventures/CEP) still is the most fun with the most charm. I can't believe how many people still play this game.

Well you should tell us what PWs are good for NWN2. I've been holding my copy while the community matures (like fine wine).

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Dasaria II - it has a bit different lore than normal, but there is a pretty cool community there. Heavy emphasis on role play, staying in character, for a full sense of immersion. I'm a PW newbie, so I can't speak about others with any authority.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast