Thread: music genres in HMV

Default music genres in HMV

Is it just me or should such bands as Bad Religion, Alkaline Trio & the Dropkick Murphys should be classed under metal and the Darkness should be classed under rock and pop. If so HMV are probably the worst store for classing music as this is what they actually class them under how and why i dont know but still they shouldn't.
    YOUR MONEY. MY POCKET.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Probably wrong catagory for discussion..I'm sure the mods will sort it

I'd agree with that yeah. It'd be nice if those kinda places could divide rock more so- say: Rock, Metal, Pop/Indie New-Wave (whatever).
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Civitate

i know, havin Keane, Franz Ferdinand and the Gorillaz along side proper rock just isnt right. Infact i dont know why these modern bands are called rock.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Indefinitely Banned

Moved to the arts forum.

Bad Religion and Alkaline Trio are awesome though!

I don't know about any of the others, but Bad Religion is clearly Punk, which is completely different from metal.

That's my thoughts- Alkaline Trio is punk too. It probably goes best under "rock", but should in my opinion be kept away from New-Wave/pop.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost
    That's my thoughts- Alkaline Trio is punk too. It probably goes best under "rock", but should in my opinion be kept away from New-Wave/pop.
    Alkaline trio is not punk...they're more "rock" in general with some sort of "indie" elements to it, they could be called "alternative rock" accurately, probably.

I guess yeah. The older stuff was punk I would say, however the latest album shows a dramatic change in style. I guess they have kinda formed their own niche. Alt rock would probably be the only way of describing it.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost
    I guess yeah. The older stuff was punk I would say, however the latest album shows a dramatic change in style. I guess they have kinda formed their own niche. Alt rock would probably be the only way of describing it.
    Yeah...

I much prefer their older stuff though. Crimson was by far their worst album, in my opinion. Everything up to that was great. My favorite stuff is the older stuff, but From Here to Infirmary and Good Mourning were also amazing. Crimson disappointed me though.

they're not the worst. i shopped for cds at a london drugs once, and they had 3 catagories: "Pop Music", "Country" and "Classical". and of course, all the rock/rap/r&b/electronic/etc music were all under the pop genre

Anyway back on topic rock & metal overall is to vague to tell what is where in Virgin Megastores The Sex Pistols are under rock and pop and so are The Real Mckenzies.

On the Alkaline Trio arguement I being relatively new to their stuff Crimson being the 1st album I got and From Here To Infirmary for Christmas I feel they are still just on the punk side my Dad says they are like an "ancient" punk band called The Squeeze
    YOUR MONEY. MY POCKET.