Thread: What are spec's for the computer you are running Victoria 2 on?

Default What are spec's for the computer you are running Victoria 2 on?

I was thinking of buying Vicky 2 but the system requirements for the graphics card have me bit bummed out. My laptop has a GeForce 7900 GS and the sys req's call for an 8800.

This is what I have. I was just hoping for some feedback if someone with similar specs is running the game and how it does. This will obviously depend on the graphical settings you use but I was just hoping for a rough idea.

2 gigs Ram
    Dual Core 2.16 GHz processor
    GeForce 7900 GS
    Running XP

Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by Mitth'raw'nuruodo; November 29, 2010 at 08:35 PM.
    Member of S.I.N.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Default Re: What are spec's for the computer you are running Victoria 2 on?

I belive the 8800 is in the recommended specs, not the minimum one. Technically with a laptop card they're almost never generally made clear as "supported". Think as long as it has pixel shader 2 it'll work.

I'm fairly certain that'd run the game. The graphics isn't too much of an issue, just tone down the res and turn advanced water off and you're fine. What is an issue is the CPU, but that's an issue for everyone. The game only takes advantage of one core, so even people with mighty machines struggle endgame or when big wars happen. I'd try the demo if I were you, you'll know if you've got any graphics issues there, but the CPU issue is inescapable and gets worse the longer the game goes on. I've got a 3.4Ghz Quad (the Quad part being irrelevant as it only uses one) and I get noticeable lag when it reaches 1900 or so.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Yeah, my processor is a 2.4Ghz Quad and, though not exactly a beast of a processor (now 2 years old), I would expect it to cope with a game like Vicky2 no problem. However, by about 1890 I start to see some serious game lag...The game time you get before then though is great value - and of course if you play MP with a friend you can keep GB in check which gets rid of most of the late game lag issues.
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10 (its true )
    My specs:
    CPU - Intel i5 4670k @3.8 GHz | GPU - MSI GEFORCE GTX 770 LIGHTNING 2GB GDDR5 | RAM - 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | MOBO - Z87 | HDD - 1TB | SSD - SAMSUNG 840 PRO SERIES 256GB SOLID STATE HARD DRIVE 2.5" | PSU - 750W | CASE - COOLERMASTER ENFORCER | MONITOR - 24" IIYAMA

4gigs ram

2.8 ghz quad core processor

ati hd 4850 1 gb card

i havent had any problems..

exceptin 1910s, when i control m 200 ship navy.. it starts lagging

florin87's Avatar Campidoctor

intel dual core e2160 at 1,8 ghz, 1 gb ddram2, nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512 mb, xp service pack 2. so far i have encountered no major issues. there is some lag but it is tolerable.

It lags for me on a 2.93 ghz, and a pair of 9500 GTs.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

2,61 Ghz, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9400GT

Heavy lag around 1900, mainly the fault of several thousand brigades, ships and factories that are around at that time.

Still better then HoI 3, it was crappy enough from the start that I never could bare playing it.
    Has signatures turned off.

Axeman's Avatar Praepositus

8 gigs of Ram
    Quad Core 3.4 GHZ processor.
    GTX 460 video card.

It runs super duper fast=p

☻/ This is Muhammad.
    /▌  Copy and paste him
    / \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!
    If there were a God, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt his existence. --Bertrand Russell

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

6 gigs of Ram
    Quad Core 4.2 GHZ processor
    Radeon 5970

Lags late in game.