Thread: NI great fun, a question, and Welsh dwarves...

Default NI great fun, a question, and Welsh dwarves...

Dear all,

I am having real fun with Norman Invasion, which I have started immediately when 1.4 was released. Very different from other mods, very immersive (as VI2 in fact, small numbers in armies, few buildings, few money).

I am playing as the Welsh, and as I am a player of debattable skills but I love to build empires, I am playing (shame on me, I know) on Easy (campaign) and Normal (battle). Even with campaign easy, I have terrible difficulties to get enough money to build what I want!

I have a particular love for Arwyr, longbowmen and Nobles, which are the backbone of my armies (cheaper to maintain than normal units and so tough!).

I have encountered a very surprising type of unit, the Welsh dwarves. Let me explain the situation: I had united all of Wales under my benevolent leadership and was starting to kick the Saxon invaders from the old Romano-Briton lands when a city called "Bodmine" revolted to me. Inside the city were only peasants and a unit called "Welsh dwarves". When 4 "line" Saxon units attacked (Bodmine had no walls), I knew this city was doomed. Nevertheless, I played the battle, and to my surprise, I discovered what are Saxon dwarves! Armes with a musket, they defeated the 4 Saxon units... So my first question is: is it built in the game? I guess yes, because I do not see any bug that could come from a wrong install! And obviously, without these dwarves, I would have been unable to resist the Saxon onslaught I must say that also I try to save them, they are slowly fading away, one by one, and I know there will be a time when there will be none. But they have achieved their target already! (in their card, they seem to be originating from a LOTR-type TW mod)

Second question: when is the game ending? (when is victory calculated?) I can't play quick, it's not in my nature, but I have already 21 regions (including all those necessary to win) and plans to win 3 more. Then I will have to take 6 more. So I would be very thankful to know when the game "ends", victory-wise.

Finally, again, a great "THANK YOU" and please put on my French English any mistake I may have made.

FFJean

Default Re: NI great fun, a question, and Welsh dwarves...

Congrats for being the first one to discover our easter-egg unit. You can have more of these Dwarves, but it will be some time before you meet them again.
    2 of the 3 members of the team behind NI are also members of FATW (Middle-earth mod), so we thought we'd add a nice little surprise in the game. The unit is also in VI2, just a little harder to find.

if you press the "F" key while in campaign or just click on the faction symbol on the bottom right of your screen 9again during campaign) you will see a scroll that mentions how many and which regions are required for victory. The game ends at 1169, if you haven't managed to win by that time, though you can always choose to keep playing after that.

We're very happy you're enjoying the mod.

Dear Aradan,
    1169 will be very tight for me, I hoped it would be Bannockburn, because I do not see how I can do it. Too bad for me, but fun the same! Well your hidden unit is just great, fun and very useful where it comes!
    And for the game itself, again, it's just great!
    A btw if you allow me: knowing that you were in the FATW team, would you advive me to try to? I think I will, but I would love to know your opinion.
    Thank you very much (for the congrats that well I deserved by pure luck, but much, much more, for the game ;-))
    FFJean

Well, I am not the most impartial person you can ask, but yes, I'd advise you to give FATW a go.

I usually ignore end-dates myself and just play however fast I feel like playing. Nothing happens when yo reach that date anyway, there's just a message that "you failed your VCs" and it asks you if you want to keep playing. You accept, and you just keep playing until you get bored or conquer the whole map...

Dear Aradan,
    I didn't really expect another answer (that you were not the most impartial person regarding FATW ;-)). Just to say that I will try it, I have few questions regarding FATW:
    - which is the recommended unit size and settings (I guess H-H, and I will play M-M as I am not very good otherwise ;-));
    - I have d/l the "FATW_TNS_2.6_Full" which, having looked through the FATW forum (but only on twcenter as the recommended FATW forum appears down) seems to be the "final" (or current final) version, with no additional patch needed (am I right?) but I see also mentioned a FATW 3 on the forum, was this FATW 3 released? And is it more advanced (I guess yes) than FATW2.6?
    - just to finish on the NI topic, I will try to accelerate my game play to be able to win the campaign, Bodmine should be starting producing Nobles in say 10 turns, which should help me! ;-) Don't know if I will do it, but I will try hard!
    Thank you for your answers,
    FFJean

The recommended unit sisz for FATW is Large (or Medium, as it helps the AI not recruit its settlements dry of population).
    TNS 2.6 Full is the latest release. DoM (FATW 3.0) is the version we're working on atm (not yet released obviously), which we aim to make the definitive RTW total conversion.

And to get back on topic, good luck with your campaign and have fun with the rest of it!
    Last edited by Aradan; October 31, 2010 at 12:54 PM.

Thank you Aradan,
    No doubt I will!
    Yours sincerely,
    FFJean

Dear NI team,
    This message is just to conclude on my campaign and add some positive suggestions to the game. First, I have managed to win with the Welsh, just before deadline, ie Winter 1065 (so just less than a century after the Norman invasion)! ;-) (I know, I know, I am playing easy campaign/normal battles, but frankly, I think I have played better than ever, don't know how it can be possible to win normal/normal! At least, impossible for me).
    For my inputs, please take them as they are meant to be, very positive, as the game is one of the most challenging and fun I have ever played:
    - I wonder whether it would make sense to have a bit less challenging, money-wise, campaign with the Welsh. Seeing as the Normans and Saxons are filthy rich, I doubt they have as tough a time as the Welsh! I will test (hmmm by testing I mean play ;-)) at least the Normans, and I will try to compare on this matter.
    - I would suggest to make Arwyn units available in Bodmine, just to highlight the importance of this region to the Welsh (but it already has access to Nobles, so this is of course just a suggestion).
    - I have the impression that Normans have access to French, Norman and Flemish unts. This perfectly reflects the history, well done!
    - I have noticed that my great Welsh Dwarves unit's muskets are rather useless or more appropriately (please forgive my English) "effect-less". Would it be possible to give it more deadly effect, and have musket fire causing fear? (more fear if this is already in?)
    - I wonder whether Scots and Flemish spears should not have the Phalanx attribute (if it exists in BI, which I do not know). "My" (Welsh) spearman have only the Schiltron attribute, but I have the impression that Flemish and Scots spearman are not more able to attack (as they would with Phalanx).
    Just a few suggestions and question marks, on a remarkably fun mod.
    Thank you again, very much,
    FFJean