Thread: Suggestions

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

Default Suggestions

We are very open to suggestion, feel free to post you comments here.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

We'd like also to hear your comments about the issue of factions, do you wis to have lots of Britsh Factions to simulate the in-fighting of the british kingdoms aswell as against the saxons? Or do you wish to only have about 6 or 7 british factions to make them fight more against the saxons than each other?
    We'd like to suggestions on units, the factions themselves, the map...anything

Dr Fox's Avatar Civis

well you could have it scripted that at the beginning have a huge alliance against the saxons and then once they gone have all of the remaining factions go to war with each other, now not worried about the saxon invasion
    Rock!?!?!

Agraes's Avatar Pillar of Prydein

We planned to force some alliances
    Especially for the Arthurian time, believed to be the Amherawddyr, 'Imperator' in Welsh, battle-leader of all Britons.

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Well i'm not sure what you mean with Briton factions, does it include the welsh and irish? But if its only southern England british then I prefer 6-7 factions than a whole pile.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

No, the Irish don't count as Britons (they weren't Britons, they were Gaels, and have entirely different armies and so on), nor do Picts (who may have been 'Britons' to some extent, but had a largely unique culture that had also steadily absorbed Gaelic influence). However, not all Britons are in the south. There's Alcluyd, Gododdin, and Ynis Mannaw/Galwyddel (Ynis Mannaw should be pretty interesting, with a neat unit selection). However, it does include the Welsh.

I do know that welsh, picts re different cultures, just wasn't sure what ianofsmeg16 meant by british. Since it's perfectly clear now I still say 6-7 British factions.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

As is current, there are 11; 4 'Welsh', 4 'English', and 3 'Scottish', if you count Ynis Mannaw in there.

Yep, corresponding to modern Britain, but by British we mean 'Briton' or Romano Briton

You forget Llydaw Ranika, our Breton faction

Oh yes, I keep missing it when I count factions. Was trying to think of why I kept coming up a faction short when recalling them off the top of my head. Llydaw, our 12th British faction. I thought we had 12, but could not recall the last.

Well 12 factions is also good.

Complete faction list (if no changes) :

SOUTH BRITONS :
    - Llydaw (Brittany)
    - Dyfneint (Domnonia)
    - Dyfed
    - Gwent
    - Powys

NORTH BRITONS :
    - Gwynedd
    - Elmet (around Leeds)
    - Ebrauc (Yorkshire)
    - Rheged
    - Gododdin
    - Alcluyd
    - Ynis Manaw

GAELS :
    - Ui Neill
    - Mumainha
    - Dal Riada
    - Connaght

GERMANS :
    - Seaxe (Saxons)
    - Eoten (Juts)
    - Englas (Angles)

PICTS

There will be also some 'Rebel factions'. Basically they will be rebels but they will be strong (depend of cases, of course) :
    - Franks
    - Laigin (Gaels)
    - Midlands (Britons, weak)
    - Bryneich (Britons)
    - Romano-Gallics
    - Alans (in Orléans only)
    - Domon (Picts)
    Last edited by Agraes; December 23, 2005 at 03:01 AM.

Looks interesting even if the names mean virtually nothing to me.

Well hopefully I can explain it somewhat:
    The Two Brition Groups are all romano-Britons; The Llydaw are britons, but in Brittany France. Then we have the Gaels(irish) and then the Saxons, jutes and angles are obviosuly the "Saxon" invaders.

Ynis Manaw is actually the faction from the isle of man(Island between Britian and Ireland).

Dyfneint (Domnonia), is the faction is southern England, where you will find Arthur. They are most liekly the strongest Briton faction.

Dal Raida are and Irish Tribe that imigrated to Scotland. A mix between their descendants and the picts(natives of scotland) make up modern scotland.

Many of the others are simply small Briton Kingdoms that were around at this time.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Quote Originally Posted by Maethius
    Looks interesting even if the names mean virtually nothing to me.
    For further extrapolation on the Irish, our two 'big' factions right now are the Ui Neill (the rulers, at the time, of all the lands of Uladd, Oirgall, south as far as the plains of Breg, and as far east as Dun Ranma, ruled by the Dalriatta, the Irish subset of the Dal Riada clan). The Ui Neill fashion themselves as the descendants of King Niall, who once ruled the whole island, and even fought the Romans, and initiated policies of raiding Roman-British territory that ultimately rendered much of the island unprofitable. With Germans and Picts, and trouble elsewhere, Britain was unprofitable, and slowing down the empire's attempt to defend itself, so it was abandonned. The Ui Neill technically control a few sub-kingdoms, but were ruled by one over-king, and a council of electors, and the taingi or senate. While the same basic government was always in place in a Gaelic kingdom, their senate was a bit more disunited, and ultimately led to the kingdoms declaring themselves indepedent.

The Mumainha, by contrast, are a single kingdom, composed of the Eoghanacht, a kind of super-clan, composed of dozens and dozens of minor clans, with a single king refered to as 'the' Eoghanacht, and the standard clan government of a Gaelic kingdom (which means; elected officials at every level of government, elected heirs/tanists, a seperate legal branch of the government, etc.). Their big advantage is that when Ireland's kingdoms fell apart after Niall died (or possibly after one of his followers), the Eoghanacht held together. As such, they have the best initially developed lands in Ireland (and probably the best developed of any lands that fell outside of Roman dominion).

We may add Connaght, which is, you know, the kingdom of Connacht, the northwestern kingdom of Ireland. The name is 'men of Conn', or 'Dangerous Men', and in some accounts refers to the fact that the region was often a den of pirates and other criminals until it was finally brought under the rule of one king. They would be initially poor, and would have poor farmland (Connaght is very rocky), but, on the plus side, Connaght also had a lot of livestock and marble they traded, as well as silver and copper, iron mines, etc. The rockiness was poor for crops, but good for some livestock, and also implied many minerals, and Connaght is home to the world's only known supply of genuine green marble, which was of huge value then (merely getting a green marble inset stone into a sword pommel could supposedly double the cost of the weapon, let alone pieces like the sword of Deccuna, who had his entire sword hilt made of the material), and is still pretty expensive now, though much less (since it has been found to be so plentiful and it's much easier to quarry now). They'll probably be a bit of a challenge to play, but that'd be the fun. Not as rich as either of their nieghbors initially, they'd have to work pretty hard to get on top in Ireland, and much of their campaign would likely be spent there.

Ok! I get the overall picture, even if remembering the names of the kingdoms is as easy as interpreting the Bible.

GERMANS :
    - Seaxe (Saxons)
    - Eoten (Juts)
    - Englas (Angles)

Holy crap; Saxons, Juts, and angles are German? England has germanic blood?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeJedi

GERMANS :
    - Seaxe (Saxons)
    - Eoten (Juts)
    - Englas (Angles)

Holy crap; Saxons, Juts, and angles are German? England has germanic blood?

Angle-Land has alot of Germanic blood :wink:

MY TWC HISTORY

I'm blown away at how historically accurate this mod is. I enjoyed reading Ranika's post on the Gaelic Irish.
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 22, 2006 at 05:12 PM.

Hense 'anglo-saxon' ; )
    Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage