Thread: Can't start a campaign!

Default Can't start a campaign!

Ok, first of all, I already have 1 Imperial Campaign started. I want to start another, and can't figure out how. When I click imperial campaign, then choose my options and click the "start campaign" button, it just goes back to the single player menu where you can choose prologue or whatever. I've done the prologue twice now... Any Ideas? thanks.

Dr Fox's Avatar Civis

use the -show_err on your desktop or wherever your shortcut is right click and then click properties then add to the Target line so the whole line should look like

Target : "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err
    Rock!?!?!

Are you using any mods?

Thank you! Problem fixed, thanks to -show_err and lots of work. No, no mods.

I had this samething happen to me yesterday, all I had to do was close the application and open it again...

Moin Moin,

have You changed your descr_strat.txt ?

Default Re: Can't start a campaign!

wat is the show erro thing? cause i have this problem

wat do u change it to?

so i have done the -show_err thing, but when i press it, it says it cant find the scribe_ancillary, in ancillaries data base?

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Please dont spam, try to post all the info in one post

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Allemanni View Post
    Moin Moin,

have You changed your descr_strat.txt ?
    I've had this problem. Let me fill you in.

Upon installing the game I immediatley changed the descr_strat.txt - all I did was cut Spain into the playable list. I started up the game to find Spain as a playable faction. I played as them for a few turns before saving the game and closing rtw. I decided to install both 1.3 and then 1.5 patches. I gave loading the Spain game a try but unfortunatley the game just reverts me back to the main menu. When I try to start a new campaign with either roman faction it also reverts me back to the main menu, however when I try to start a new faction with Spain the game crashes all together.

I cut Spain back into unplayable list and then tried to start a new game, but unfortunatley, just as before it took me back to the main menu.

For some reason I only get the problem with patches 1.3 and 1.5, after editing the descr_strat.txt on 1.2.

I was just wondering if there was any way to solve this without the usual uninstall & install.
    Last edited by g0ra; January 02, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
    Proud History, Bright Future.

I think if you click start campaign and it goes back to the single player menu it's probably something to do with desc_strat.txt. Check again to make sure you haven't deleted anything or made a small change you didn't mean to because i've heard that even tiny changes can crash the game.

If you have a copy of the original desc_strat then you can just copy and paste it back into the data folder and try editing it again. If you don't have the original desc_strat anywhere then i would just uninstall, reinstall and next time remember to keep copies of the original file every time you edit a file. This will save you unistalling and reinstalling every time you mess up a file.

You could do a plea for a copy of desc_strat here and see if any kind soul will help you but you'll get the same advice i've given you- save coppies of the files.

12345abcd3
    She was no ordinary girl, Oh Inverted World

Don't worry about the world ending today, it's already tommorow in australia

rep me, I rep you.