Thread: Hoplite animation?

Default Hoplite animation?

First off great mod, am having much fun playing it.

Anyway, you state that you use sig one's hoplite animation for hoplites yet apparently hoplites can still form phalanxes. Was this just something that was overlooked?

Quote Originally Posted by Ano2
    First off great mod, am having much fun playing it.

Anyway, you state that you use sig one's hoplite animation for hoplites yet apparently hoplites can still form phalanxes. Was this just something that was overlooked?
    In fact I didn't really think on that.
    Would it be better to eliminate the phalanx formation of the hoplites with this new animation?
    What would be the difference?
    Thanks.

i think sig's animation has the spear held over-hand which was what the greek hoplites actually did where as macedonian ones held them under arm or something.... its basically making them more realistic
    [LEFT]Blue Lotus
    zulu tw trait/ancilliary progress-bar: (*******___________)
    Zulu Total War

Quote Originally Posted by GiantMonkeyMan
    i think sig's animation has the spear held over-hand which was what the greek hoplites actually did where as macedonian ones held them under arm or something.... its basically making them more realistic
    Thats what I thought.
    But I don't know what would happen if we eliminate the phalanx from the formations of those units having this new animation.

Don't Sig's overhand animations for hoplites cause crashes in campaigns? I remember them being taken out of SPQR for this reason, although perhaps that was simply a conflict between that particular mod and the animations in question.

Maybe Sig has resolved this issue, but it doesn't seem worth introducing crashes into a mod that so far (touch wood) has been free of crashes. I do think it is a good idea to have hoplites taken out of phalanx formation though, even if they only use an underhand animation for spear thrusting: it makes the hoplites a lot more manoeuvrable.

Maethius's Avatar Centenarius

Hoplites can be usefull out of phalanx formation but removing it completely? I mean hoplites and phalanx are like bratwurst and zauerkraut.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime---Hemingway

"There is nothing wrong with serving in several regiments."---Nobby Nobbs

"Not if you do it during one and the same battle"---Sgt. Colon

You're right, but phalanxes ought to be able to charge and they don't and they look all right fighting as spearmen especially in guard mode, so some other mods removed them completley. There was one for RTR that did it. I don't want to turn this thread into one arguing about phalanxes because such threads have been done to death and people just repeat the same points, but it seems that Monkwarrior was toying with the idea of removing them from phalanx and I thought I'd signal my approval.

Ah ok you have the animation but they are still in phalanx mode.

You must take them out of phalanx mode or else they are not functioning as proper hoplites.

As for the crashes- I haven't had any problems with it, you only get crashes if you fail to remove the secondary weapon.

Okay for anyone who wants to have them fight out of phalanx mode do the following:

Back up export_descr_unit
    Go into data/export_descr_unit
    Open the find box and type "phalanx". Remove all phalanx refrences. Whilst doing this also scroll down to the sec wep values. The first two will need to be changed to 0. Also if it says short_pike, as it does for the Greek hoplites, remove this and type "spear".

Load up the game and they will be fighting without phalanx mode.

hello, i didn't wan't to open a new topic - so here i'll post it:

where is the model and textures for this hoplite? (i mean which folder in the game folder - i couldn't find it myself)
    i would like to use it in my vanilla... help, anyone?

btw, nice mod
    You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen. - The Soap Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by webo
    hello, i didn't wan't to open a new topic - so here i'll post it:

where is the model and textures for this hoplite? (i mean which folder in the game folder - i couldn't find it myself)
    i would like to use it in my vanilla... help, anyone?

btw, nice mod
    Model: foceo.cas
    MODS\ITW\Data\models_units_ITW

Texture: foceo.tga.dds
    MODS\ITW\Data\models_units_ITW\textures

It's a nice unit, isn't it?

Default Re: Hoplite animation?

Hoplites with upper hand but with phalanxes works nice for me, it is the nearest thing from a shield barrier and that is what was really accurated

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

Well, I believe that Hegemonia: Poleis Krate have managed to get phalanxes to charge. Maybe if you were really nice to them...

That's because BI's phalanxes are not "activated formations" and therefore can charge.

Btw, if you want realistic hellenic spearman you should:
    --Have a few hoplite units using signeferones animations and SHIELD LOCK formation.
    --Have most other helenic spearman using Europa Barbarorums animations (two handed, small shields), long spears and default PHALANX FORMATION.

Hoplites were not so common after Alexanders conquests. Many greeks adopted the macedonian phalanx.

SARMATIAN LEADER's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Ano2
    Ah ok you have the animation but they are still in phalanx mode.

You must take them out of phalanx mode or else they are not functioning as proper hoplites.

As for the crashes- I haven't had any problems with it, you only get crashes if you fail to remove the secondary weapon.

Okay for anyone who wants to have them fight out of phalanx mode do the following:

Back up export_descr_unit
    Go into data/export_descr_unit
    Open the find box and type "phalanx". Remove all phalanx refrences. Whilst doing this also scroll down to the sec wep values. The first two will need to be changed to 0. Also if it says short_pike, as it does for the Greek hoplites, remove this and type "spear".

Load up the game and they will be fighting without phalanx mode.

that's good,but this modding action must be done with an animation pack on or not???
    if yes tell us what animation pack we should use and if you would be kind enough to give us a link to or maybe you have modified the files needed for this animation and give it to us!!

-Kossovo is Serbia- -Macedonia is Greek-

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. ~George Patton