Thread: Looking for the best possible books on Napoleon's 1814 & 1815 campaigns in print

Default Looking for the best possible books on Napoleon's 1814 & 1815 campaigns in print

Hi all,

The title says it all.

I want the most comprehensive works, printed, on the 1814 & 1815 Napoleonic campaigns.

ALL & ANY pointers in the right direction are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    hellas1

Default Re: Looking for the best possible books on Napoleon's 1814 & 1815 campaigns in print

Napoleon at Bay by Petre on the 1814 campaign. Probably a decent map if N France is needed to follow the campaign. I remember having the board game of the same name .
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=7...ed=0CDEQ6AEwAQ

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast

Default Re: Looking for the best possible books on Napoleon's 1814 & 1815 campaigns in print

Look at my post in http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=395525 which has both in print & downloadable. Below are my recommendations from the larger lists.

1814 Campaign: (La Rothiere, Bar sur Aube, Champaubert, Montmirail, Vauchamps, Chateau Thierry, Craonne, Laon, Arcis sur Aube, Fere-Champenoise, Paris)
    F L Petre “Napoleon at Bay 1814” A good overview of the campaign.
    H Houssaye “Napoleon and the Campaign of 1814 France” This is regarded as the classic on the campaign - it is an English translation with very good maps.
    1815 Campaign: (Ligny, Quatre Bras, Waterloo, Wavre)
    A F Becke “Napoleon and Waterloo” A good one volume coverage of the campaign - now a bit dated - good maps.
    H Houssaye “Napoleon and the campaign of 1815 Waterloo” An English translation covering the campaign. Full of good footnotes.
    P Hofschroer “1815 The Waterloo Campaign: Wellington, his German Allies and the Battles of Ligny and Quatre Bras”; “1815 The Waterloo Campaign: The German Victory” Modern work worth a read despite some commentators suggesting that the truth has been bent.
    William Siborne “History of the War in France and Belgium, in 1815: Containing Minute Details of the Battles of Quatre-Bras, Ligny, Wavre, and Waterloo” downloadable at http://www.jeux-histoire.fr/doc/siborne.pdf A classic.
    Arthur Gwynne Jones Chalfont, “Waterloo: Battle of Three Armies” Excellent as gives accounts of the battle from all three sides.
    Henry Houssaye “1815” (this covers the return from Elba) downloadable at http://www.jeux-histoire.fr/doc/houssaye%20100j.pdf This is in French and covers the escape from Elba, the war in the Vendee etc - a must read.
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; October 28, 2010 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added my recommendations

I would also add 'The Battle' by Alessandro Barbero simply because its an enjoyable read and raises a lot interesting issues but with the warning that it isn't very well referenced and suffers a bit from translation problems.

@Prince of Essling,

Thanks brother!

I have George Nafziger's 3 volume trilogy on the 1813 campaign & wanted to "wrap up" Napoleon's empire & career with the 1814 & 1815 campaigns.

I need to get the ending years of the Grand Armee for sure.

Regarding the 1815 campaign or defense of France rather, I'm looking for something which covers ALL of 1815.
    Any insights?

Thanks again,
    hellas1
    Last edited by hellas1; October 28, 2010 at 09:52 PM.

If you can read French the whole of 1814-15 online here
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=s...rbooks_s&cad=1

Hofschroer covers the entire of the 1815 campaign including the invasion of France after the battle of Waterloo.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hellas1 View Post
    @Prince of Essling,

Thanks brother!

I have George Nafziger's 3 volume trilogy on the 1813 campaign & wanted to "wrap up" Napoleon's empire & career with the 1814 & 1815 campaigns.

I need to get the ending years of the Grand Armee for sure.

Regarding the 1815 campaign or defense of France rather, I'm looking for something which covers ALL of 1815.
    Any insights?

Thanks again,
    hellas1
    Unfortunately I have yet to find a book or couple of books that cover the 1815 campaign in its totality e.g. the escape from Elba, march on Paris & after events, then the warfare aspect of Pyrenean front, the Alpine front; the Jura; the Rhine; the Vendee & the Campaign in Belgium & its aftermath.

Hofschroer is good for the Anglo-Allied & Prussian front & some of the sieges but no good for elsewhere; Houssaye is good for the escape, march on Paris etc & the Vendee; but as for books covering the other fronts the coverage is not as large as I would wish - Siborne has about 9 pages decoted to the Rhine & Italy; Nofi has 4 pages covering Alps, Italy, Jura, Pyrennees, Rhine & Vendee plus outline Order of battles for these theatres i.e. commanders to Divisional level, number of men, battalions, squadrons, batteries & guns .
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; October 29, 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: change to other fronts

Ah ok!..You and I obviously have a different interpretation of 'The 1815 Campaign'. I've only ever considered that it referred to the campaign in Belgium. So, it started with the mobilisation and crossing of the Belgian frontier and ends with the fall of Paris. So, in effect Hofschroer covers the lot in terms of my definition.

If instead we are talking about everything that happened in 1815 then your absolutely right, some of the stuff you just mentioned I haven't even heard of let alone seen a book about it. But Hellas did say the 1814 and 1815 campaigns, so you are probably right and he meant everything that happened in both years.

Hi all,

Yes, I did mean the entire campaigns of 1814 & 1815 respectively.

Thank you,
    hellas1