Thread: How do you handle your city garrison as Rome?

Default How do you handle your city garrison as Rome?

Currently I'm using 4 Roman Antesignani (Pre-M) for each city and on the borders with heavy traffic I stack my cities with the max and a General.

Is this is the best way to do this? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Brain_in_a_vat's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: How do you handle your city garrison as Rome?

The least amount of troops possible, obviously. As long as the city is content, unless it's a frontier city, in that case as many troops as the city can hold. In cities like Rome sometimes I have just a governor.

I have two of the cheapest skirmisher unites in each city. A general only in the most important recruiting cities (important for population increase when enslaving conquered cities). Normal taxes - works fine.

I have 1 Governor and 2 units of the cheapest troops I can find in each city. In addition I have 9 cohorts of Evocatii in each major region (Italy, Greece, Gaul, Spain, Africa etc) to kill the rebels that spawn, and to act as a delaying force if I get invaded. Taxes are all set on high.

In contested frontier regions, I have a full legion on garrison duty in a fort close to the border in order to discourage an invasion.

Most cities I just keep a few antesignani guys along with some of those post-retirement legionnaires. As for my frontier cites, it's pretty much the same thing but I'll most likely have legions in the area any ways.

Awesome thanks, this helps me so much.

C-Rob's Avatar Primicerius

general and a skirmisher just incase he dies... In Rome and other cities with the highest level of education buildings and temples I have younger generals and governors in training. Sometimes a huge amount of them...

I find it most efficient to have only a governor in every city. Rather than have the extra 2-4 units per city I just fill a stack and put them in a central location. I then use them to defeat brigands that pop up or as a reserve unit if my front lines need assistance. For my frontier cities I prefer to have them empty as well, happiness allowing of course. Instead, I usually keep my forces in key locations in forts (although I am occasionally lazy and just leave a stack in the city lol) this makes your force much more mobile and more efficient.
    There was never a better friend, or a worse enemy - Sulla

RS II AAR- The Tales of Julius O'Ceasar and the Leprechaun Legion
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...16#post8268816

Meethos's Avatar Civis

I generally will go about 4 veterans post Marian in cities with a governor. In Italy I usually make 3 home defense armies so I don't need big garrisons: a praetorian one near Rome, and 2 auxilia armies one in the north and one in the south.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein