Thread: Artillery on walls & burning buildings

Default Artillery on walls & burning buildings

These questions are, mostly, to enhance the visual appeal of huge sieges more than game balance itself. I searched on the forum info's about these matters, but didn't find anything at all.

First of all, as you know, when besieged, and behind stone walls, artillery units are almost totally useless : you cannot place 'em on walls, and using them will often end in damaging your own walls. I searched hard on the various txt files, but was unable to find any entry related to this limit ingame. Is it hardcoded?
    One of the causes for this limit probably is that there's no space on walls to place most of artillery pieces and their crews, as long as their formations aren't modded to fit a new shape, and that, anyway, they wouldn't be able to normally walk to and from walls through the narrow passages inside towers (just as like cavalry).
    Anyway, i would really like to have the chance to place a couple of stationary artillery pieces on walls, thus way doubling the visual impact of firey artillery on night sieges (not to mention, of course, that it should be a realistic feature).

The second, minor thing, i would like to tweak is the burning animation time for buildings set on fire by artillery. Once a building is on fire it will stay so for a rather short time, about a couple minutes or less, before the building itself is destroyed. Increasing someway that time limit, will increase the chances of having multiple buildings on fire at the sime time during heavy artillery fire, making night sieges potentially more spectacular (and more video memory hungry, of course ). I found the descr_burning_building.txt file inside the main rtw data folder, but i'm not really sure how it should be edited, anyway there should be the same file in BI, probably packed (the only reference found in unpacked txt's is inside descr_effects.txt, which calls for descr_effects_burning_building.txt).

Any suggestions?

Dr Fox's Avatar Civis

well in bi it also uses the original data folder for rome - total war otherwise you wouldnt need to buy rome - total war so you only have to modify the file in the data directory i believe you need to modify the fade_time part so each flame, stays alight for longer. As for the artilery on the walls well you need to ask someone else about that
    Rock!?!?!