Thread: How to keep the late game interesting

Default How to keep the late game interesting

We are looking for ways to keep the game more interesting right now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this. The problem lies in the fact that after a certain point in expansion (which is usually pretty early) you will have no problem maintaining standing troops. We can't really do anything unless we script increasing maintenence costs or something. I think what we might do is to use scripting to make good enemy generals or increase rebellions. Anyone have any ideas?

What if late game, super-ninjas from Naruto appear out of thin air and kill anyone who happens to be nearby?
    That would make the late game pretty challenging, considering that you couldn't beat them, no matter how hard you tried. They'd have all kinds of cool ninjutsu-moves like spitting razor-sharp icicles and summoning giant dumpsters. Then the americans could come and destroy everything with a nuclear cannon onboard a specially designed redneck monitor. The samurai wouldn't have a chance!

Proud member of the fat polar bears from Norway TWC community consisting of me, me and me.

Perhaps add the Tokugawa as a rebel faction agaisnt the Imagawa as they did have a war against them. They should also have recruitment of a ninja unit.

At the moment its possible that we will have Togukawa and Toytomi as playable factions.Togukawa would emerge from Imagawa in certain conditions and same with Toytomi emerging from Oda.They would replace some other factions from the original faction list.The gameplay in the late part of the campaign is very tricky.If we make it so that we have lots of unrest,the campaign will turn into rebel slaughtering and that can be quiet annoying aswell.

If we really wanted to, we could always add in the Korean Mainland as a diversion from conquering Japan.

It'd be interesting we could script an optional Korean Conquest Victory Condition. I would be very supportive of that, even if Korea is just filled with 'Ming' rebels and is damn near impossible to hold due to culture and loyalty issues.

This is how Micropose made Master of Orion 2 fun, they made a victory condition that allowed the player to invade the crazy powerful(only when you start playing it) Antarian homeworld for the most prestigious win.

It was a good way to avoid the boredom of xenocide.

Also, I'm linking this thread to our sister forum at the org for better idea exchange.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=58398
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; December 21, 2005 at 02:14 PM.

Well you guys planned to drop Ninjas from the battlefield. I suggest putting them back in but make them only available in very late period (something to look forward to) and make them stupidly expansive to train, a very long time to train and make them few but powerful enough to be of great use on the map if used properly. Also only allow them to be built in certain provinces (which forces the player to try to conquer more provinces so he can train them). Also make them cool looking. Another unit of guys in light armor and a spear is hardly something anyone wants to look forward to. It may not be 100% historically accurate but neither is this mod. Besides you guys are already planning a rebel unit like that.

I know this requires a lot of work but it's not like it's not doable and it's not like it has no merit.

Fun > History

I would suggest not many rebellions as u said at a certain point u won't have problems mantaining troops and not even recruting more of them... Rebellions would become only boring. To me best way is to have a internal rebellion in the family. Also the return of defeated factions in their "home province" as in MTW would be more interesting than mere rebellions...

Stat rosa pristina nomine nomina nuda tenemus

Sadly, RTW is re-emergence impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky
    Sadly, RTW is re-emergence impaired.
    I don't understand "impaired" sorry :sweatingb

Stat rosa pristina nomine nomina nuda tenemus

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Well, it's not possible (re-emergence).

I think making the enemy generals good would work if it's possible.

What about implementing the BI loyalty system and add a lot of disloyalty traits when your empire reaches a certain size?
    Or add an emergence of a powerfull faction. I don't know the history of Japan enough, but I'm sure some new daimyo tried to take over but didn't succeed...

Well Hideyoshi took over after Oda Nobunaga died and Tokugawa, the last great Daiymo, reestablished the shogunate. We could always make him appear with ridculous amount of forces to pretty much crush everything in Western Japan.

Thats basicly what i suggested.

Maybe you can do what CA did in Shogun: Mongolian invasion (introduce Mongol invaders at same late stage).

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by jjd37
    Maybe you can do what CA did in Shogun: Mongolian invasion (introduce Mongol invaders at same late stage).
    well.. The mongol invasions came a few hundred years before, so I don't think that would work.
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Ecthelion's Avatar Great Ramen Connoisseur

Please do not do the Korean invasion thing in this first version. Getting all the Korean units done would take a very long time and you might get stuck in a EB quagmire. Take the RTR approach, release something basic first, that way the morale of the team goes up, motivation goes up and all the bugs and issues can be figured out by the fans so that the next release will be better.

As for making the late game interesting. I suppose it will be interesting enough by itself, I mean you have to fight some very heated battles towards the end I imagine.
    This is my signature. Isn't it awesome?

Major König's Avatar Civitate

I say go for Korea, but in the second version. Don't make the unwashed masses wait. But the game will even be fun in the late stages I think, due to all the events and things you guys are implementing. I, for one, will stay interested.

Kscott's Avatar New and Improved!

my suggestion:

Dont worry about it, most playes stop playing and pick a new faction(or the same) and start over its natural. Its funnier to start as a small kigdom and make your empire. Nobpdy likes a rebel fest.

Patron of Basileous Leandros I/Grimsta/rez/ Aemilianus/Publius/ Vizigothe/Ahiga /Zhuge_Liang Under Patronage of Lord Rahl
    MY TWC HISTORY

Well, I get bored and quit on MTW and STW, but it doesn't seem right that people should quit right before they win because they know there is no point.