Thread: The Great Raid

Default The Great Raid

Has anyone seen that movie?
    Far as I know the movie didn't exactly get much PR or public acclaim and therefor pretty much disappeared when they finally decided to release it in theaters. I've only recently seen it and didn't find it all that bad actually. The movie basically has three viewpoints, one from the Rangers who are performing the raid, one from the POWs who are supposed to be rescued and one from the resistance movement who is helping the POWs. I've actually expected worse when reading that they included a love story but was pleasantly surprised to find that they pretty much just hinted at this love story since the "lovers" don't see each other till the end of the movie.
    I think what pulls this movie down is its length. The story takes place over a 5-day period but the POW camp scenes alone feel like they were documenting years of captivity. So naturally I prefer the "military part" of the movie, showing the rangers planning and moving ahead till in the end the movie finally climaxes with the title giving "Great Raid" and it's nicely executed (both the scene and the actual raid).
    This movie of course didn't grip one like "Saving Private Ryan", didn't have the depth of "Thin Red Line" but it was certainly more enjoyable than nonsense like "Pearl Harbor".
    http://www.miramax.com/thegreatraid/

I just saw it on the weekend actually. I remember hearing about it once or twice a long while ago, but it quickly faded into the subconscious. I saw it on the shelf, vaguely remembered the title, and grabbed it.

It really wasn't bad. Fairly good action for the raid sequence, which was pretty exciting. But, the problem I found, was as you said, the length. I did like the scenes with the preperation and planning for the raid, but the only real action in the movie happened in the last 15 minutes (exageration).

It was based off of a true story though, which is pretty amazing, and I think that was what made it maybe seem like more of a 'B' movie (which it surely wasn't). They probably wanted it to stay as close to the truth as possible, and with this particular event, without taking certain liberties with the story, it just isn't very exciting. History lacks Hollywood, I guess. Thats just in my opinion though.

I got this movie for my dad for Christmas....

The movie goes by ever so slowly and it seems to take forever for the climax. As far as historical accuracey....it's mostly correct. Although some events are left out.

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

I enjoyed this movie. I havent heard of it untill I saw it on the shelves at the movie rental and it looked interesting. It turned out to be quite good.