Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark age/ Viking movies

MagUidir's Avatar Biarchus
    a little bit every where. from Tennessee but now Live in California.

Default Dark age/ Viking movies

anyone know of any good ones? in a different thread there was a good viking one but i was more wondering about dark age... seems to be the least played card in history besides the the napoleonic era.. not that id like to see more of that lol

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Default Re: dark age/ viking movies

See the thirteenth warrior an amazing movie about antonio banderas fighting with vikings againist evil. It is not historical but it is amazing.

HarneY's Avatar Semisalis

Im not 100% sure what timezone this movie is from someone else will probably know its pretty famous I think. I haven't seen it in a few years.

Ivanhoe.

It was in colour but the screen isn't fullscreen must've been the camera's back then or something I dont know. If you watch it online please share the link I used to have it on VHS but I must've lost/taped over it. I used to watch it weekly as a kid and the soundtrack is inbedded in my brain

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Outlander, its very UNhistorical, (theres aliens and ) but it is extremly good! highly reccomend it, vikings Vs a Dragon/alien thing http://tvshack.cc/movies/Outlander__2008_/

and another good one is pathfinder, Viking explorers in new found land Vs Native american indians, very cool
    http://tvshack.cc/movies/Pathfinder__2007_/

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    Outlander, its very UNhistorical, (theres aliens and ) but it is extremly good! highly reccomend it, vikings Vs a Dragon/alien thing http://tvshack.cc/movies/Outlander__2008_/

and another good one is pathfinder, Viking explorers in new found land Vs Native american indians, very cool
    http://tvshack.cc/movies/Pathfinder__2007_/
    I agree with Outlander that movie is AMAZING! I think it's probably the best. It's based off of Beowulfssaga But I completely disagree with Pathfinder. I hated that movie with a passsion.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    I agree with Outlander that movie is AMAZING! I think it's probably the best. It's based off of Beowulfssaga But I completely disagree with Pathfinder. I hated that movie with a passsion.

really??? why?? i know it made the vikings seem like turbo orc's, but it hought it was pretty damn good!

also when were on the topic of Beowulf....

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

History aside, I enjoyed Outlander it was Aliens meets Beowulf.

Pathfinder was rather lame and only own it for comedic purposes.

Check out Beowulf and Grendel with Gerard Butler..filmed in Iceland.

I am Beowulf.. but this is Sparta!

Better then the CGI one imo.

I thought it was rather decent.. finally a movie that gets the outfits right.

I liked 13th Warrior but one guy was wearing a Roman Gladiator style helm and another plate armor.

Being a history buff, its too easy to be critical of Hollywood since they hardly try and get it right.

I was anticipating Valhalla Rising but it was worse then Pathfinder.. too artsy fartsy and lame.

The Trailer was better then the actual movie..

I guess you can classify King Arthur in the dark age genre which was okay as was The Last Legion.

I saw Centurion last which was ok as well but not spectacular if you consider this Dark Age as well.

I read somewhere online that Iceland was working on a big viking movie but have not heard anything recently.

I also heard Mel Gibson has some viking movie in the works.

Other than all these I cant really think of any other flicks.
    Last edited by VaeVictis; October 26, 2010 at 04:21 PM.

1066 and William the Conqueror are supposedly in production

Im trying to find an old BBC TV show called Blood Royal: William the Conqueror starring Brian Blessed from the 90s

Also a real old show from the 60s called Hereward the Wake, 16 part mini series about Saxons resisting the Norman occupation during Lady Godivas time

if anyone has any heads up on these shows plz pm me

liked Outlander and hated Pathfinder

if only theyd make Cornwell's Saxon Stories into a TV show like they did with Sharpe, Id vote for Kevin McKidd (Vorenus from Rome) as Uhtred any day of the week

Id absolutely luv it if they made a movie about Raedwald King of East Anglia, famous for the Sutton Hoo excavation, his story must have been amazing to receive such honours in burial, what a movie that would be
    Last edited by Mordis; October 27, 2010 at 07:23 AM.

WHY DOES EVERY ONE HATE PATHFINDER???!!!

it's been years since i saw it, but i remember liking it

Did you have a wee tipple when you watched it?

I watched that Valhalla Rising a few weeks back during a Stella-risation session and thought it was tip top, watched it again last week and thought omg wtf that was proper pants

I havent seen Pathfinder for ages either but I remember the vikings put me off, they were more like Uruks with long horned helms, inhuman somehow, Im gonna have to watch it again now
    Last edited by Mordis; October 27, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordis View Post
    Did you have a wee tipple when you watched it?

I watched that Valhalla Rising a few weeks back during a Stella-risation session and thought it was tip top, watched it again last week and thought omg wtf that was proper pants

I havent seen Pathfinder for ages either but I remember the vikings put me off, they were more like Uruks with long horned helms, inhuman somehow, Im gonna have to watch it again now
    not that i can remember anyway

i must Valhalla Rising after all this talk about it

aye, i'll admit i didnt like their depiction of the vikings, they made them seem more like pure evil monsters, and didnt really capture the whole 'adventerious explorer' aspect at all, aside from that though i thought it was pretty cool, especially since its an aspect of history that hadnt been done before, at least movie wise

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    not that i can remember anyway

i must Valhalla Rising after all this talk about it

aye, i'll admit i didnt like their depiction of the vikings, they made them seem more like pure evil monsters, and didnt really capture the whole 'adventerious explorer' aspect at all, aside from that though i thought it was pretty cool, especially since its an aspect of history that hadnt been done before, at least movie wise
    Valhalla Rising was really wierd. It was more.... avant garde. Kinda left open to interpretation. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like those types of movies.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Would that king arthur movie in 2004 be considered a dark ages film?

Irishblood

Have a few jars before you watch Valhalla Rising m8, itll be oscar material then lol

The script writer must have loved his job, I think theres a total of 23 words spoken throughout the whole movie

King Arthurs defo Dark Ages, but the beginning of the period and end of Romano British i think, i really enjoyed that too, tis crazy how few Viking/Saxon movies are out there, the legends and sagas that script writers could work with but instead theres nothing out there so we sit and watch Saw 12 instead, its just wrong
    Last edited by Mordis; October 28, 2010 at 09:26 AM.

lol nice, less talking, more killing, i like it

I just finnished watching the Outlander. Oh my god... what a terrible piece of crap it was... the only part I liked were the first 40 minutes, after that it just gets unwatchable.

Valhalla Rising is amazing. And Mads Mikkelsen is awesome as ever.

I must say that Pathfinder did a terrible job of depicting the Vikings. I agree that they were a horrible, bloodlusty, pillaging breed of devils, but they werent all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    I just finnished watching the Outlander. Oh my god... what a terrible piece of crap it was... the only part I liked were the first 40 minutes, after that it just gets unwatchable.

Valhalla Rising is amazing. And Mads Mikkelsen is awesome as ever.

I must say that Pathfinder did a terrible job of depicting the Vikings. I agree that they were a horrible, bloodlusty, pillaging breed of devils, but they werent all that bad.
    Wow we have totally opposite views! I LOVED Outlander but I didn't really like Valhalla Rising. I did like some of the kills though. Like the
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    dude who gets his stomach cut open and pulled out

that was... umm... interesting indeed and also when he bashed some guys skull open in the beginning.

and the Outlander, well, I like how they portrayed the Norwegians, the feast was also ok, but the movie in general really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by khatmar View Post
    that was... umm... interesting indeed and also when he bashed some guys skull open in the beginning.

and the Outlander, well, I like how they portrayed the Norwegians, the feast was also ok, but the movie in general really sucks
    Well, I will admit that some of the graphics in Outlander were... um.... horrible. But, then again, watch the SyFy movie "Thor: Hammer of The Gods" and then ANYTHING will look better than that. Here's a pic:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's supposed to be Fenris. W-T-F.
    I did love the part where the monk was trying to be a badass and got torn to shreds.....

wau, that looks... weird (and terrible!)

its a real shame, that there are only two really good Viking movies I can think of - the 13th Warrior and Beowulf and Grendel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast