Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: National Revolutions 1821-1848

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Icon7 Re: National Revolutions 1821-1848

Thank you, mircea.

I think your comments are very useful. Indeed, my idea is to 'force' the player to a more defensive stance and to make conquest very difficult. In this respect regular units will be available only later in the game and with huge efforts - it will be actually the crowning of your work after years of guerrilla.

I think the key for a strong Ottoman faction is the unitstats and the following days I'll try to focus on that. It will also be very helpful if I could have an insight on 'spawning' a fort in Instanbul - is it possible, or I am supposed to build one and then hybrid it?

Last, but not least, I try to get rid of the Napoleonic feeling. As a picture speaks more than hours of work in startpos, I will try changing all the in-game message pictures.

Here's a first test
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So goodbye Nappy and welcome to the world of postnapoleonian/Balkan warfare .

Default Re: National Revolutions 1821-1848

Quote Originally Posted by Sotericus View Post
    However, if the Ottomans are bound to disappear very soon in the game as I suggested before, couldn't we assign the balkan factions to 'eastern' or 'ottoman' culture, or does this mean that other stuff such as weapons, etc. should be assigned according to the same culture? In this case it would be quite painstaking to reorganize everything just to have nice pictures, though ...
    Yes if you change culture all change.

Thiky83's Avatar Laetus

Gave Croatia to Austria
    Did you see the maps? Croatia never owed to Austria! Maximum, if we are thinking in the Monarchy.
    Last edited by Thiky83; March 22, 2011 at 02:17 PM.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Inside the Austrian Empire, as in the Ottoman, all the provinces held to some extent a degree of autonomy. That's why I thought individualizing somehow the provinces as protectorates. However, in may 1821, when the game is supposed to begin, Croatia was a kingdom inside the Habsburg Monarchy, due to a personal union dating back to XVIth century. However, I think this individualization that I planned was artificial (as the Kingdom of Croatia was a part of the Austrian Empire) and Wallachian was right in suggesting me to change its status. I would keep though, Hungary as a different faction as at some point we are going to work its units and so on (let's say practical reasons). Nice flags, anyways .

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

It is a cruel joke to see Greece or Wallachia manging to take Istanbul, while Russia was unable to do that in a few centuries, and we should try hard to avert the possibility of eliminating Ottomans.
    That's all I could to for the moment. I'll add some money to Ottomans, too. Hope it will work. Otherwise, we'll have to rework their units status, which will be quite a pain. Take a look here.

And another interesting revolt i thought about is the Decembrist revolt in Russia in 1825, could be interesting to portray it somehow. It would also weaken Russia a bit so that it doesn't attack Moldova straight away. Also, I don't remember how the map of Napoleon was but is it possible to have Belgium as an emerging faction (Belgium revolution of 1830)?
    We'll see what we can do about that. Maybe we could spawn rebels, could we Husserl?.

Unfortunately the game is unsuitable to accurately portrait the changes that happened in this period, the different revolutionary waves, and would force us to have a large number of emergent revolutionary factions which are unplayable. Maybe a solution would be to divide the timeframe of the mod in several sub-campaigns:
    E.g. I. 1821 (Greek and Wallachian revolution, Carbonari revolution, Spanish civil war) to 1832 (Polish rebellion, last Carbonari revolt)
    II. The 1848 revolutionary wave in Europe
    III. War in Balkans (1875-?)
    I would go for 2 distinct campaigns. One to portray the passage from the post-Vienna world to a proper revolutionary dynamics (the game will be quite slow, a lot of defenses and retreats, etc.). It is an age where energies are accumulated, tensions are aggravated and there are sudden bursts of rebellion. The game should try to represent this as possible.

Then, another campaign that would start in a proper 'revolutionary era' - 1848 (with many factions and revolts), and should try to represent the appeasement made by the counterrevolution and the return to an 'imperial(ist)' logic. This should cover the Crimean war, too. It will be just the beginning of the "Age of Empires".

That's it for now.

Cheers,

S.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

That's all I could to for the moment. I'll add some money to Ottomans, too. Hope it will work. Otherwise, we'll have to rework their units status, which will be quite a pain. Take a look here.
    Let's hope it works, although an alternative would be to beef up the stats of armed citizenry that emerge during sieges.

We'll see what we can do about that. Maybe we could spawn rebels, could we Husserl?.
    It would be nice if we could make this factions playable, especially the Polish and Belgian revolutionaries

I would go for 2 distinct campaigns. One to portray the passage from the post-Vienna world to a proper revolutionary dynamics (the game will be quite slow, a lot of defenses and retreats, etc.). It is an age where energies are accumulated, tensions are aggravated and there are sudden bursts of rebellion. The game should try to represent this as possible.

Then, another campaign that would start in a proper 'revolutionary era' - 1848 (with many factions and revolts), and should try to represent the appeasement made by the counterrevolution and the return to an 'imperial(ist)' logic. This should cover the Crimean war, too. It will be just the beginning of the "Age of Empires".
    I think you're right, and it would also reduce the workload It would be nice if we could make a kind of military reform for all revolutionary factions, in order to replace completely the revolutionary type armies with regular ones (like in RTW with Marian reforms).

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

I forgot that yesterday was the anniversary of the outbreak of Greek Independence War, which incidentally is part of our mod. I wish the best to our Greek brethren, allies and friend.

Best regards from Romania

P.S. Any aid in making Greece (and Eteria) as accurately as possible is welcomed

vadik_1st's Avatar Tiro

i tink it will be better to make some units from eteria .. becouse a faction will be to much ! for this organisation !

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by vadik15 View Post
    i tink it will be better to make some units from eteria .. becouse a faction will be to much ! for this organisation !
    For now I haven't yet dealt with the issue. It might take some time. In anyways, if it will be a faction it won't be playable.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

After finishing Wallachia which faction are you planning on touching next?

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    After finishing Wallachia which faction are you planning on touching next?
    It is indeed a time to think about our next steps. I foresee Moldavia and probably Serbia and Poland. And then the next campaign - my special focus in the next one will be to create from the scratch a Czech faction.

But there is still time. However, a short report for the week's advancements.

1. I upgraded the Ottomans' citizenry status so they overpass a normal militia. We'll see the results...
    2. daNOVA graciously granted us permission to use his units from Ornamentum (I'll post a unit later this evening). So thank you danova, .
    3. I've sent Husserl a sketch of the missions. So thank you for your incredible help, Husserl
    4. This should have been a surprise, but I can't help it so sorry for spoiling it, but I changed the Wallachian militia to a 'special units' of fire fighters in remembrance of the heroes of Dealul Spirii (1848) (for details see the pictures in the 2nd page of the thread where I usually post pictures.

5. I made some minor modifications to a Cavalry unit from the Austrian rebels (changed their hats, and gave them pistols instead of carabines, etc.) I called it Haiduci, though they resemble more to Mounted Pandurs.

6. I continue changing the eventpics.

Stay tuned for the coming pics.

That is just excellent news! Danova is a master of unit making. The ornamentum units are the ones from Empire right?

And the idea of the firemen is so good! I was actually thinking if you were gonna make a firemen unit, and they fit just perfect instead of the 'armed citizenry' unit. Your right about the haiduks, they look a bit too official with those uniforms. Maybe use a torso from a more 'rustic' looking unit instead. Maybe even some of Danova's units from Ornamentum like the Albanian unit. Just a suggestion...

Serbia? Poland? Awesome, just awesome! What about Hungary? Or is that covered by Danova's units?

Can you use this awesome Vernet painting of the Paris barricades in 1848 as an event pic or loading screen anywhere?

Last edited by Wallachian; March 30, 2011 at 04:47 AM.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

That is just excellent news! Danova is a master of unit making. The ornamentum units are the ones from Empire right?

And the idea of the firemen is so good! I was actually thinking if you were gonna make a firemen unit, and they fit just perfect instead of the 'armed citizenry' unit. Your right about the haiduks, they look a bit too official with those uniforms. Maybe use a torso from a more 'rustic' looking unit instead. Maybe even some of Danova's units from Ornamentum like the Albanian unit. Just a suggestion...

Serbia? Poland? Awesome, just awesome! What about Hungary? Or is that covered by Danova's units?
    I'm really glad you like the firemen. I had this idea for such a long time (first time playing Wallachia in Victoria years ago, when a 'spawned' militia of 500 destroyed a retreating Russian army by pure luck, I suppose, - named them Firemen from Dealul Spirii... not to mention that I lived for years close to Dealu Spirii ).

As for the Haidouks I might change them with one of Danova's units (some hussars that look less official). Changing their torso with the torso of a unit from a different faction (as say Ottomans) is too much for me - I mean I get the theory, but the practice ... However it took me hours to make them shooting their pistols, which I find kind of cool after all .

Hungary will be left as it is for the first campaign. In the second I really hope that our Hungarian friends will help us making a great roster with the different cool units like Hussars and Honveds.

Maybe some Serbian or Polish friends are reading this thread and may want to help us in workin the roster for the factions.

P.S. You've read my mind with the Vernet pic I already have it for the events and I might also have added it to the 25 different loading screens we'll have .
    Last edited by Sotericus; March 30, 2011 at 04:53 AM.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Simply stunning. Can't wait for the release!!!!

You could start a cooperation with the Victorian age mod for the Western units, and also could give them suggestions about the Romanian principalities, btw.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post

You could start a cooperation with the Victorian age mod for the Western units, and also could give them suggestions about the Romanian principalities, btw.
    I am sincerely very glad you like the last installments. A cooperation with the Victorian age is one of the things I was thinking about, for when I started modding I had in mind precisely the Victoria series . Thus I naturally appreciate their work.

Great! i love that painting, saw it the first time on a book i bought called 1848 Year of Revolution by Mike Rapport (which is an excellent account of the revolutions by the way).

Ahh fair enough, i don't know much about modding so I thought changing just a torso is easy. Yeah they are definetly cool shooting pistols instead of carabines.

It would be great to some more people commenting around here from other countries to help. So far its about 4-5 of us from the same country, Husserl and the odd ones out. By the way i found some great pics of Hungarian army in 1848 on the net if you need any.

P.S. maybe you should move all the great stuff from the second page into the first post on the first page to attract more attention to the great work already done.

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post

Unfortunately, i don't think they will have the principalities in Victoria. Especially because Bulgaria and Wallachia are one province and Sofia is the capital. The un-modability of the map is just killing NTW and ETW!

But, yes Victoria does have some great units and whats more they have pickelhauben! I don't know when the Prussians and other german nations adopted it though.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Unfortunately, i don't think they will have the principalities in Victoria. Especially because Bulgaria and Wallachia are one province and Sofia is the capital. The un-modability of the map is just killing NTW and ETW!

But, yes Victoria does have some great units and whats more they have pickelhauben! I don't know when the Prussians and other german nations adopted it though.
    The ETw Victoria, too, then, but I was thinking about The Victorian mod for Napoleon (Blood and Iron or something, it always changes it's name), which can have the principalities
    [Col] RO Citizen

Ahhh my bad, yes I know the one you are talking about. Gunny's mod. I thought you meant the one for ETW. Yes, indeed co-operation with that would be great. And it says in the OP for Gunny's mod that there is a collection of mods covering the time from Vanilla, through Victorian era to TGW. So far there is the Crimean War mod and the Blood and Iron mod, maybe this mod could come into that collection being set right between vanilla and the Crimean War?
    Last edited by Wallachian; March 30, 2011 at 07:45 AM.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

P.S. maybe you should move all the great stuff from the second page into the first post on the first page to attract more attention to the great work already done.
    This may sound very newbie, but how does one do that? I've read and re-read the FAQs, but they don't really enlighten me concerning this issue

And I hope that we didn't leave the impression that 'National Revolutions' is a 'Romanian' mod. From my point of view the revolutions of 1848 were as European as say, EU law or the European League (I'm exaggerating, but still...). The point is that they depict a paradox in overtly celebrating 'nation' and 'difference' while in the same time sparking from an Enlightenment tradition of opposing absolutism. In anyways, I really hope someone out there will hear us.

Cheers, and thanks for your comments.
    Last edited by Sotericus; March 30, 2011 at 08:32 AM.