Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: National Revolutions 1821-1848

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: National Revolutions 1821-1848

Bloody good video Sotericus, nice touch with the music. Too bad you didn't show more units.

Quote Originally Posted by DacianWarrior94 View Post
    it would be awseome if it will pe possible to unify the Principality of Moldova and the Principality of Wallachia for creating Romania...
    Yes but unfortunately the game engine does not allow something like that. Would have been good for Germany and Italy too.

I made a new model for greek "foustanela" like unit based on strelsky_horse model from ETW but i dont know how to test it.
    If what i'm doing is right i will have models and textures for all units by the end of next week.

Wow good job mate! Im sure Sotericus knows how to test if for you.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by KKB5 View Post
    I made a new model for greek "foustanela" like unit based on strelsky_horse model from ETW but i dont know how to test it.
    If what i'm doing is right i will have models and textures for all units by the end of next week.
    First of all thanks for your work. Your help is much appreciated and so needed. At a first glance, the skins are looking very nice. I'll try to test it - but no sooner than the week-end as I have a pile of books to browse and a paper to write ... and as I found a new toy - HusserlTW's EasyEsf which turns modding startpos from a toothache in a genuine pleasure.

But there is a fairly straightforward tutorial here if you want to give it a shot by yourself.

Glad you liked the movie, guys .

I only wished the movie showed more units Perhaps even a recreation of a battle between revolutionary wallachians and ottomans in 1821 but that would probably be too much work anyway

Perhaps with Greece you can organise the units like you did with Wallachia and Moldova. Have the pre 1832 revolutionary units and then have the post 1832 professional units.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

@ Wallachian. I first thought of something like this myself. In fact I still have some more movie chunks of the battle on my computer. However the editing work takes a while and is kind of boring, especially when you have to compress with another codec each Fraps movie file. Maybe with the next faction it will look more professional.

On units, see below:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

As a general rule, Major factions will start with a complete roster - which is historically accurate. The general scale will be 1/6, i.e. each figure on the battlefield stands for 6 real soldiers. Accordingly, a standard Line Inf unit of 150 will represent a battalion (which roughly was made of 400-1200 men, depending of country). There are many historical exceptions to this rule, however and so will be in the game. One exception worth noting will be the Ottomans, which will be upped intentionally in order to resist longer in the game.

Wallachia and Moldavia – the threshold between early period (1821-1825) and the later (1825-1831) in terms of military evolution will be represented by the Level 3 Military building. Not owning a University, it is highly unlikely (but not impossible), to have Regular units before the middle of the game.

During the Early period the player will be able to muster 3 types of units

1. Territorial defensive, i. e., automatically generated militia during a siege (like Pompieri, Garda Oraseneasca, and Gloatele satesti – last 2 will be a surprise).
    Territorial offensive Panduri, Potecasi, Slujitori, Haiduci, Vanatori domnesti.

Territorial troops of the early period are irregulars with relatively low morale, but with small/no maintenance costs. They can be recruited only in Romania and the Balkans and in limited amounts.

2. Global defensive, i.e. Local minutemen.
    - Global offensive, Graniceri.

Global troops of the early period are militias designed to defend the newly conquered territories, but are unreliable in order to create a serious army. It has to be almost impossible in this campaign to build an empire. The idea is to liberate countries and not to conquer them. They can be recruited everywhere and without limitations.

3. Special units, which will be granted only after accomplishing a mission, like Revolutionary Guard. They will be highly proficient units.

During the Late period

• Territorial defensive will remain unchanged.

Territorial offensive will change as follows :

- the Level 3 military building, will “change” Potecasi to Tirailleurs and Slujitori to Calarasi. Haiduci predati will disappear.
    - the Level 4 military building will change Haiduci to Rosiori and Vanatori Domnesti to Princely Guard Regiment.
    - the Level 5 building will add the Geandarmi Calari (Hv Cav)

Prices will slightly increase along with units’ statuses and morale.

• Global defensive will remain unchanged

- Global offensive - the Level 3 military building will add Line Inf and Lancers (limited to 3 Rgts).
    - the Level 5 building will add Geandarmi pedestri (Guards).

• Special units will, evidently, stay unchanged.

Greecewill follow the same lines, with minor modifications, mainly the availability of a Special unit (Ieros Lochos) from the start.

Naples will have all the units available since the beginning but in a limited amount, according to the Realms of Two Sicillies army.

@KKB5

I had managed to test your model and skin and it looks like this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I suppose interfering with the gloss would change it.

However, I don't see the reason why we would use the stretsly model since Danova's Albanian war band is also based on stretsly, as long as he has agreed to let us use it in this mod. That will make us using twice the same model for the same faction roster.

How about trying to work on the NTW atlas? All we need is to create a fez and a foustanella . I hope I could be of help... for testing the models you can alwasy send them on private and I could do them - is quite easy.

Tell me what you think.

Yeah i figured video making can be a pain.

Really love that guide you wrote, it will be perfect as an explanation of the military organisation on the first page of the thread. Especially when the mod will be released.

Those skins look very nice!

I wanted the model to be tested, not the texture.I'm planning on giving to the mod different models and textures for ALL greek "foustanela" units AND officers.
    1.greek_irregular_cavalry
    2.greek_irregulars
    3.greek_light_infantry
    4.greek_armed_populace
    (5.)greek_mani_populace(blue&gray mod has in preview a unit called souave.It would be perfect model without having me to make a new one from spanish_guerrilas!)
    Tell me if a model for a general can be used for a specific general of a faction.(kolokotronis).
    Same thing about general_staff model.
    Tell me if you can get to the greek_rebels the phalanx of king otto.They could represent the monarchic state?
    Be patient though cause all lot of work has to be done and tested.At least i know now how to mess with meshes!

I have to say that units that are included in http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...5#post10680685 are completed out of mod's time period since they belong to 17 century (you'll see many units like this in upcoming Colonialism 1600). Also the cloth has nothing to do with foustanella.

Btw KKB5 if you like you can work with us in Colonialism.

panzer 4's Avatar Domesticus

looks like a promising mod, i would love to play as the dieing ottomans and try to quell the rebellions, would make a great AAR too...
    The US will gladly step up to become the world police when there is oil involved, yet they will resign the second there is a genocide in Africa, a slaughter in an allied nation, or a massacre committed by dictators, all who's nations have nothing to offer, but the gratitude of the people to the international community for reaching out.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

@KKB5

I suppose one can use a specific general model for a faction - as long as it is a General_General_ Staff_officer.variantmodel (i.e. it has to be a model for NTW, and not ETW, but it can be done even with a ETW model, though it requires some more work). The General_Staff can also be created for only one faction (take a look at the front page of this thread and see the Greek general I propose there as well as the other units). My intention is to release the mod this year, but all your work can be integrated in an add-on if you're not done soon enough. Again, many thanks for joining. For the time, the greek_rebels do not exist, I'm not sure if we are able to tweak them. They are, as for other factions, a generic austrian_rebel as in the vanilla.

@HusserlTW

You are right on the streltsy. They were originally created by Ivan the Terrible. I had to ask you this, will you have the time to help me with packing the mod?

@panzer 4

Many thanks for your interest. I really hope you'll like the mod once it will be done. However, I have to say that the Ottomans won't be very fun playing. They won't be in the 'official' campaign, but I could make them playable by request. Because of the mapping limitations they had to be upped (that means uncanny high stats, huge amounts of money, and no-upkeep costs) in order to keep them in the game and make them aggressive. Until now, it seems to work, but I suppose playing as the Ottomans wouldn't be much of a challenge . Anyways, it would be fun reading your AARs. I also have in mind starting an AAR on the Wallachian campaign, once the mod will be done. Eventually we could try playing the game together .

I'll be back later (either today or tomorrow) with some fresh Greek units and a sneak-peak into some tweaking I've done during the week-end.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotericus View Post
    @KKB5

@HusserlTW

You are right on the streltsy. They were originally created by Ivan the Terrible. I had to ask you this, will you have the time to help me with packing the mod?
    I actually meant the equipment the have (the crosses with the poured, etc.).

I do not have much time but I will help.
    Last edited by husserlTW; December 05, 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

@HusserlTW I guess irregular forces will never cease to surprise . Thanks for willing to help, I will very much need it with the packing. In two weeks now I hope to be done.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

New units added to greek roster. Also added a few missions for the Greek faction. I am currently tweaking unique Regiment names for all factions. Hope to change the loading screens, too and change the event pictures. If you can direct me towards some paintings depicting battles dating between 1820 and 1848 I would be indebted. I would also need to know how one says in Greek

1. Battalion
    2. Squadron
    3. Light Infantry
    4. Local irregulars (militias).

Many thanks.

so for the Ottomans, can you make their empire look as if it is dieing? give it bad income, its armies are weak and dieing, except the garrison at Constantinople?
    The US will gladly step up to become the world police when there is oil involved, yet they will resign the second there is a genocide in Africa, a slaughter in an allied nation, or a massacre committed by dictators, all who's nations have nothing to offer, but the gratitude of the people to the international community for reaching out.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by panzer 4 View Post
    so for the Ottomans, can you make their empire look as if it is dieing? give it bad income, its armies are weak and dieing, except the garrison at Constantinople?
    I would gladly do an add-on with a weak Ottoman Empire. But, bear in mind that in the main campaign, Ottomans have to be strong, as otherwise Greece or Wallachia will occupy instantly Istanbul, which is inaccurate and my intention is to make it a serious challange.

About the Ottomans, instead of giving them ridiculously high stats which would be too unrealistic why don't you give them lots of stacks. Even place Ottoman stacks in Greece, Serbia and Wallachia to symbolise the Ottoman troops combating the revolutions and rebellions. This way the first thing you would have to do is defeat the Ottoman stacks from your territory and then start expanding. Giving them lots of money makes sense because they would have income from the provinces which are off the map.

Liking the new Greek units. Are you eventually going to incorporate all the units from the Greek Mod?

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    About the Ottomans, instead of giving them ridiculously high stats which would be too unrealistic why don't you give them lots of stacks. Even place Ottoman stacks in Greece, Serbia and Wallachia to symbolise the Ottoman troops combating the revolutions and rebellions. This way the first thing you would have to do is defeat the Ottoman stacks from your territory and then start expanding. Giving them lots of money makes sense because they would have income from the provinces which are off the map.

Liking the new Greek units. Are you eventually going to incorporate all the units from the Greek Mod?
    Very glad you like the Greek units. This was quite easy work. Regarding the Ottomans, I took this decision after days of testing and frustration, while having in mind the same idea - 4 stacks, lots of money, no upkeep costs. The result? Either the AI disbands all of the armies during the first turn, either it attacks you with all of it (which is no fun). So I figured out as a solution to reduce their army to half, change their 'spawning' armed citizenry to "Kapikulu Jenissaries", a sort of Palace guard with terribly high stats which cannot be moved from the capital, increased a bit, but in reasonable amounts, the regulars' and irregulars' stats, pin a general and a hole stack near the capitol and leave another stack free. During my last tests, it works and greece has 50 per cent chances to be conquered in the first 10 turns, unlike what was happening before, when greece was persistently conquering Istanbul.

I am going to put only two or three units from the Greek mod (Akrobolistes, Ethnofilakes and maybe Royal Phalanx). If KKB5 is going to finish his work soon enough, I'll add his work too. Any ideas of sites with some nice paintings from 19th century?

well ottomans can have quite a few Egyptian Units, and please make ottomans weak, they really were weak in the wars

I dont use my pc at the moment but i did gave some loading screens and portraits to the greek mod some time ago.Check greek mod2.3 page 17&18.
    This is all i can do at the moment.