Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: National Revolutions 1821-1848

Default Re: National Revolutions 1821-1848

Józef Chłopicki
    1st dictator of uprising, he didn’t belive in vicotry and he was trying to negotiate with Tzar Nikolaj I, but he couldn’t agree to Tzar’s unconditional capitualtion of polish troops. Therefore he ressignated from his function but he was still fighting as general, he planned battles and led his man to victories in battles of Wawro and Grochow, where he was wounded in legs.
    He was very experienced as he has gone through many campaigns (he joined army as a common soldier): - Russian-turkish war in 1788 (in Russian forces)
    - polish-russian war of 1792 - Kościuszko uprising in 1794 - Napoleonic warfare: he was fighting in Polish Legion and Vistula Legion in Italy, Silesia, Espania and in Napoleon’s Campaign in Russia. In 1807 he commanded the first Vistulan regiment. In Spain he obtained the Legion of Honour and the rank of a French Imperial Baron for his heroism at the battle of Epila and the storming of Zaragoza, and in 1809 was promoted to be general of brigade. - In Congress Poland he argued with Grand Duke Constantine Pavlovich of Russia and left the army.

Jan Zygmunt Skrzynecki – next dictator of uprising

He didn’t belive in vicotory,too, so he has lost chance of fast and lethal counter-atack (though plans were already made by Ignacy Prądzyński). Before becoming dictator he fought well his battles (Grochow, Dobrow), as he was veteran of napoleon times, too. He entered the Polish Legion formed in the Duchy of Warsaw, as a common soldier and won his lieutenancy at the Battle of Raszyn in 1809. At the Battle of Leipzig he greatly distinguished himself and at Arcis-sur-Aube, in 1814, saved Napoleon from the sudden onslaught of the enemy by sheltering him in the midst of his battalion.

Ignacy Prądzyński- In November 1807 he joined the army of the Duchy of Warsaw and quickly advanced through its ranks. During the Napoleonic Wars he took part in the campaigns of 1809 (Polish-Austrian War) and the campaign against Russia between 1812 and 1814. For his bravery in the latter campaign he was awarded with the Golden Cross of the Virtuti Militari and the French Legion of Honour for his role in the Battle of Leipzig and the Battle of Waterloo. He was theoretician of military strategy and tactics adn military engineering . He was man who made plans of war with Russia- he was promoter of offensive, and coordinator of guerilla actions. In battle of Iganiam (where Josef Bem was chief oh horse artillery) he killed or imprisoned 5000 russians with his loses of 400 man ( Russians had artillery numbers superior to Polish).

Józef Sowiński – veteran of Kościuszko uprising and Napoleon’s Campaign in Russia as a chef of regiment of horse artillery where he lost his leg. In uprising 1830 he wasn’t arranged in fighting in field because of wooden leg, until he was let to be the chef of redout number 56 in Warsaw, where he didn’t abandon his men and was killed, as how he was killed is not sure (some say that he surrendered and then instantly killed by Russians). Anyway he is much known in Poland because although no chance of victory he stood tall and brave against so much bigger numbers.

Dezydery Chłapowski - he was orderly of Napoleon, gone throught campaigns in Austria, Espania, Russia. He dismissed when he heard than Napoleon wants to give Duchy of Warsaw to Russia for peace. Another man that planned offensive, but stoped by dictator Skrzynecki. He was even leading the charge of cavalry in battle of Grochow to let infantry to withdraw. He also took part in Greater Poland Uprising (1848).

Henryk Dembiński - He took part in Napoleon’s Russian Campaign, where he become captain. In uprising he was fighting mostly in Lithuania, defending Warsaw and couple of battles. Anyway he commanded Northern Army in Hungarian uprising 1848.

Wojciech Chrzanowski - He took part in Napoleon’s Russian Campaign, too. He was also defending Warsaw in uprising and took part in same battles as Henryk Dembiński. He also took part in Revolutions of 1848, he commanded army of Piedmont.
    "And other times it's hope that saves the day"

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Hi everyone,

This is first of all to let you know that I've managed, after several attempts, to make Filliki Eteria what it basically really was - a Greek army in the Principality of Moldavia. http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6...050300001a.jpg. I've updated the front page accordingly.

@ DarthKael Good luck with the exams and don't overstay the night before (I tell you from experience). Secondly, very impressive work on the generals - I hope that I'll manage to make them as historical characters in the game (either replacing Murat, Ney, etc., either simply adding them... we shall see).

@Wallachian Interesting unit. Basically it doesn't differ much from the regular line infantry, so I'll make it this evening. I didn't know that Romanian forces had a unit like this - what where they supposed to do - monitor the Danube?

And secondly, I am on the point of opening another building site for our mod. It is the issue of battle dynamics in the game. I thought of this after having a glance at Kaunitz project which offers an in-depth insight on the relation between game's engine and historical accuracy. I wouldn't go that far, as we are going to loose a lot of what makes the game a game - but ...

I would still like to offer to the player a glimpse of what warfare was during that time and in the different cultural spaces of our campaign. So I would need your opinions on the following subjects, especially backed up by some historical research.

1. What should be the ratio between a figure on the map and a historical unit of the time? (1:4, 1:8 etc.) Otherwise said, what 120 Line Inf represent? A battalion? A regiment?

We should find some numbers of the armies of the time of the main powers and try to modify accordingly the number of soldiers - I would go for 1:4 and say 150 figures in a battalion.

2. How are we going to depict differences in military organization between great powers ? (schematizing Prussian disciplined, France strategical, Russian big, Austria multinational, etc.).

3. What should be the distinctive traits of revolutionarry armies - low recruitment costs, low maintainance, high morale, lack of organization, etc?

That's it for the moment,

Cheers.

Ok, trying to response for your questions I found out that Polish Army (proffesional) in 1830 Uprising was:
    20 074 soldiers, 28 battalions, 28 squadrons, 42 cannons. And for example Regiment of Active Veterans count ~1000 men (500 at start to 1600 at peak and 882 in ending). And second thing- skirmishers. Guerilla units are not good counted, but I know there were many of them, atacking supply lines at backs of enemy and joining to army in battles as skirmishers. The biggest unit had over 1000 men- under colonel Józef Zaliwski (one of initiators of uprising).
    Polish Army Officers were mostly veterans of Napoleon wars. Fall of uprising was done by 3 things: russian army was much bigger ( as I said, we had 2000 men and 42 cannons, they had 115 000 men and 336 cannons), lack of faith in vicotry shown by dictators and that initiators argued much, they also hoped for some foreign help- mostly French (but they've only managed to make Prussia and Austria not hostile, as making this internal russian case) and Popes, but he excomunicated all revolutioners, saying that they are fighting against their King (Tzar) who was given by God. (If u want I can make another post saying how other major countries were attitiuded (?) with uprising and revolutionares).

I wish I could find so nice pictures and infos like Wallachian, but many works were destroyed during Gemran occupation of Poland (1939-1945), as works were rare even before that, because it wasn't and still isn't famous topic among polish historians and common Poles.
    Last edited by DarthKael; May 03, 2011 at 12:04 PM.

I was talking with my friend and he found some book about cavalry from Greater Poland and here I got some unit- Kalish cavalry.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And unit of Poznan cavalry and Cracowers (cavalry from Cracow - date is 1814 but they were fighting in 1830 uprising, too )

Sry that it is on side but that's how my friend scanned it to me
    Last edited by husserlTW; May 11, 2011 at 05:45 PM.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

They're all awesome pics. Too bad I can't rep you anymore
    [Col] RO Citizen

Lol, rep... I don't give a about this man

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

The same here. I wish I could be able to read Polish as much I wish I have already finished the missions in order to dedicate my work to the 1830 campaign. Well, modding takes time - we have to live with that, I guess. Great work DarthKael. How many soldiers did a Polish inf battalion had at the time? And a squadron?

1st picture- right-up: uniform of 1st regiment of Greater Poland's Uhlans, further 15th Regiment of Poznan's Uhlans, sewn by recipe (rule?) for Greater Poland's Army in 1919
    1st picture right-down: parade unifrom (Ułanka- it means just uniform of Uhlan) of officer of 4th Regiment of Greater Poland's Uhlans, further 18th Regiment of Pomerania's Uhlans
    2nd picture (I'll just say what's there said generally): 1st Regiment of Kalisz Cavalry was made by volunteer from Warta, Sieradz, Uniejów, Konin (they ain't big citties) by sons of gentry and they were very.. undisciplined and that is what their colonel said: "Who killed his mother and father, who betrayed the motherland, who deserves tortures, this is the man to who the command of this unit (of nobles) should be given so it's the right punishment- he will atone all his sins". And that the 2nd regiment was much more disciplined.
    About battalions of line infantry- it had average (yes I counted this ) ~600 men and squadron ~140 men.
    (hell yeah, quick reply in ~20 minutes...)
    Last edited by DarthKael; May 04, 2011 at 10:19 AM.

Oh, and I found out that there was 2nd Regiment of Line Infantry = The 4th battalion that counted 450 men, but these were elite. I'm not sure if elite in battle, they were fighting many-that's sure, but they surely were elite in parade as they were loved by Grand Duke Constantine Pavlovich of Russia- they've even stolen his cota and weren't executed for that ^.^ . I think I posted this somewhere around here but again here they are
    Last edited by husserlTW; May 11, 2011 at 05:46 PM.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

You're right. They look very "elite".

So, in order to draw a conclusion - each unit of Regular Light Inf. will count 150 figures (representing a battalion of 600 men), the Elite will be 120 figures (roughly 450 men). And Cavalry shall be unchanged (45 figures ).

I found better picture of Kalish Cavalry

And find out that though they were undisciplined they were really fierce in battle and gained many orders.

And Poznan's Cavalry, they were really furious (charging throught city and being shot from both sides and didn't flee)

Last edited by husserlTW; May 11, 2011 at 05:46 PM.

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Sotericus View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is first of all to let you know that I've managed, after several attempts, to make Filliki Eteria what it basically really was - a Greek army in the Principality of Moldavia. http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/6...050300001a.jpg. I've updated the front page accordingly.
    Once again, excellent work I was quite busy in the past few months, but I'm glad to hear about these new evolutions. As you know, the main corps of Eteria army, headed by Ipsilanti himself, crossed in Wallachia, in late spring 1821. As such, we need an Eteria army in Wallachia too.

And secondly, I am on the point of opening another building site for our mod. It is the issue of battle dynamics in the game. I thought of this after having a glance at Kaunitz project which offers an in-depth insight on the relation between game's engine and historical accuracy. I wouldn't go that far, as we are going to loose a lot of what makes the game a game - but ...

I would still like to offer to the player a glimpse of what warfare was during that time and in the different cultural spaces of our campaign. So I would need your opinions on the following subjects, especially backed up by some historical research.

1. What should be the ratio between a figure on the map and a historical unit of the time? (1:4, 1:8 etc.) Otherwise said, what 120 Line Inf represent? A battalion? A regiment?

We should find some numbers of the armies of the time of the main powers and try to modify accordingly the number of soldiers - I would go for 1:4 and say 150 figures in a battalion.
    Very interesting idea I found several pieces of information in this regard, for Romanian armies

Panduri were organized in regiments (1000 soldiers) headed by a polcovnic, and subdivided in 10 companies (capitanii), with 100 man each.
    Cavalery units (mostly aranuti and several units of mounted panduri) was organized in squadrons (capitanii) with 50-200 man in case of arnauti units and around 100 man for panduri units.
    Panţâri (in Moldova) were organized in 12 bands (stegauri) with 15-50 man each, later, their number was increased to 2,342.
    Jomiri Rosii (in Moldova) organized in a single band (steag) of over 200 man, stationed in Iasi
    Arnauti were organized in bands (steaguri) and numeberd 60 man in Moldova and 1,000 man in Muntebnia

After 1831, the armies of the two Romanian principalities (Militiile Regulamentare) were modernized and organized following European model.

The army of Muntenia included 3 mixed regiments, each with 2 battalions of infantry and 2 squadrons of cavalry (lancers) for a aggregate total of 4,656 man. In 1835, the 6 cavalry squadrons are merged in the first cavalry regiment, and by 1842, the 3 infantry regiments had a cumulated strength of 3,519 man, afterwards increased by 1,932 man. In 1843, Muntenia received 4 bronze guns (94 mm) from Istanbul, which were organized in a battery. In 1844 is organized the first companz of firefighters in Bucharest.
    The dorobanti corps was reorganized in 1832/1834, with 1 tisti (band) in every county's capital, for a total of 1490 man per shift, out of 4,470 man.

The army of Moldova was similarly organized, but with only a 1,554 strong mixed regiment, with 1 battalion of infantry and 1 squadron of cavalry. In 1845, Moldovean army was enlarged with a new battalion, adding another 872 soldiers to its mixed regiment. Moldova also possessed a single 94 mm gun. In 1835 is founded the first company of firefighters (105 man) in Iasi, called Roată de pojarnici.

3. What should be the distinctive traits of revolutionarry armies - low recruitment costs, low maintainance, high morale, lack of organization, etc?

That's it for the moment,

Cheers.
    To this we could add poorer weaponry and lighter equippment (specific light infantry), preference for unusual innovative tactics (guerilla, fast attacks).

And DarthKael, excellent work +rep

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Good work, mircea. I'll give it a thought on how to implement your suggestions it in the game.

For now, I've finished the missions for wallachia, moldavia and naples as well as adding some minor tweaks.

I'll give a thought to some missions for greece and then we could think of a first release.

Meanwhile I'll open the work for the 1830 campaign, but this might take a while, as these months are quite difficult for modding (i.e. plenty of work to do in 'real' life).

Cheers,

S.

I think a 1848 campaign would be far more awesome than a 1830, but that's just my personal opinion.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Jingo Eugene's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    I think a 1848 campaign would be far more awesome than a 1830, but that's just my personal opinion.
    I agree. 1848 was chaotic. But you know, you're the modder.
    Jingo Eugene
    "A wise man in times of peace, will prepare for war. Peace is boring, and the wise man has nothing better to do with his time." -Anon

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    I didn't intended to leave you the idea that a 1848 campaign won't be done. The plan is this: a first release ranging from 1821 to 1832. A second one from 1830 to 1848, and a third from 1848 to 1856. I intend to leave the 1848 to the end, as for you know with time comes experience and I hope to bring an interesting campaign. All we need is patience.

This way sounds awesome, then, indeed.
    [Col] RO Citizen

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Updated the front page with a new unit for the Moldavian roster. How's the work going guys?

Sir.Cojocarius's Avatar Civis

Amazingly good work you've accomplished. Are you the leader romanian? Anyways I feel proud when I see a mod of such quality have a big focus on Romanian principalities.
    I will rep you again when I can Keep it up Can't wait to play it.

Sotericus's Avatar Miles

Thanks, Sir Cojocarius. I'm really glad you like it. By all means the work couldn't have been done without the useful insights other members of the team and of the community gave. For the moment there might be some held backs as we are in need for a modeller, but there is a lot of new stuff coming for the campaign (missions, events, characters and some new units). And yes, I'm Romanian...