Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Khalid ibn al-Walid and Alexander the Great met on the battlefield?

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default If Khalid ibn al-Walid and Alexander the Great met on the battlefield?

They were both brilliant generals, both pulled off tactical wonders in their military careers, so if they were to meet on the field, who would win the day?

discuss
    Last edited by irontaino; October 25, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

MAXlMUS's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: If Khalid ibn al-Walid and Alexander the Great met on the battlefield?

khalid was definitely the better general, but i don't think he ever commanded a very big army

Default Re: If Khalid ibn al-Walid and Alexander the Great met on the battlefield?

They'd decide who was a better general in a a game of Halo.
    Last edited by Kurtz; October 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

khalid was definitely the better general
    Really - why?
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Mhm, Arabian troops weren't that heavily armoured, were they? I think it'd be fairer if you gave them both the same army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Other than lots of dead people, no idea.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by MAXlMUS View Post
    khalid was definitely the better general, but i don't think he ever commanded a very big army
    lol, really?
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

MAXlMUS's Avatar Decanus

i'm not saying that alexander wasn't a great general, or else he wouldn't have reached india. but he wasn't as tested as khalid, and didn't fight many battles were the odds were overwhelmingly against him; furthermore he had with him heavy seasoned troops. on the other hand khalid ibn al-walid fought numerous battles against both the roman and persian armies (and at times combined armies), often being outnumbered and facing heavy, experienced troops (including shock cavalry).

there was absolutely nothing inevitable about the islamic conquest. if it wasn't for khalid islam would probably have never become anything more then a sect of chritianity practiced in some parts of central arabia

i see khalid ben alwalid

becuse he crushed the Parisians and the romans many times and fought as i remember more than 150 battle
    and on the other hand how many empires did alexander fought aginest
    but that don't mean that alexander wasn't a great general

fought numerous battles against

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Khalid didn't face any truly formidable enemy. He faced two exhausted empires with little gifted generals to command their armies. The Persian empire, however, managed to restore itself after a series of degneration of government. Darius was quite a talented general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Erebus Pasha's Avatar vezir-i âzam

They wouldn't have met because there were from different time frames. What is it with all these ridiculous alternative scenario's - Rome vs Medieval England, Rome vs. Northern Woodland Indians and now this? What is wrong with actually coming up with some more credible scenarios such as what if Khalid ibn al-Walid had suffered a reverse at Yarmuk for example? I think it is ok to compare aspects of leadership between the Alexander and Khalid and how they fought their campaigns, but to say suggest a scenario where they would've met on the battlefield is silly.

www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/
    Under the patronage of the Noble Savage.

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus26 View Post
    They wouldn't have met because there were from different time frames. What is it with all these ridiculous alternative scenario's - Rome vs Medieval England, Rome vs. Northern Woodland Indians and now this? What is wrong with actually coming up with some more credible scenarios such as what if Khalid ibn al-Walid had suffered a reverse at Yarmuk for example? I think it is ok to compare aspects of leadership between the Alexander and Khalid and how they fought their campaigns, but to say suggest a scenario where they would've met on the battlefield is silly.
    Well, I actually have to agree there.
    There are way to many problems with those scenarios - How large are the armies? Why are they fighting? Where? What is the background to all of this? How do we get over technological pars? How about morale?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Primicerius

If Khalid ibn al-Walid and Alexander the Great met on the battlefield?
    Alexander would convert to Islam and so would his Macedonians/Greeks.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Boyar Son View Post
    Alexander would convert to Islam and so would his Macedonians/Greeks.
    Alexander probably would proclaim himself caliph then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Alexander probably would proclaim himself caliph then.
    Alexander: 'Which one of you is in charge?'
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'I am mushrikun.'
    Alexander: 'I'm the son of this "Allah" character.'
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'No you aren't.'
    Alexander: 'I think I would know.'
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'Silence Kafir!'
    Alexander: 'Somatophylakes to me!'
    Hephaestion: 'Alalalalalalalalalalala!' *stabs Al-Walid*
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'Gahk, we share a warcry!' *dies*
    Alexander: 'Is there no one else?!' *stoops to pick up Walid's sword*
    Hephaestion: 'Alright you lot, start praying to the God-Emperor or else.'

*Muslims bowing*

Alexander: 'I demand a sacrifice...'
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Depends, what is the makeup of the two armies? Where are they fighting?

Overall,
    Quote Originally Posted by HansDuet View Post
    Other than lots of dead people, no idea.
    QFT
    If you rep me, please leave your username so I can rep back
    Formerly known as Sarry. and My Political Profile!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    Alexander: 'Which one of you is in charge?'
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'I am mushrikun.'
    Alexander: 'I'm the son of this "Allah" character.'
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'No you aren't.'
    Alexander: 'I think I would know.'
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'Silence Kafir!'
    Alexander: 'Somatophylakes to me!'
    Hephaestion: 'Alalalalalalalalalalala!' *stabs Al-Walid*
    Ibn Al-Walid: 'Gahk, we share a warcry!' *dies*
    Alexander: 'Is there no one else?!' *stoops to pick up Walid's sword*
    Hephaestion: 'Alright you lot, start praying to the God-Emperor or else.'

*Muslims bowing*

Alexander: 'I demand a sacrifice...'

This is the most realistic scenario possible so lets go with this one...except for the dying part. Lets say Alexander and the muslim guy met in the field after the exchange.

My vote goes for alexander because Ibn Ai-Walid only fights for a deity while Alexander believes he is one...
    http://e-sim.org/lan.126366/

Je t'aime ma petite chou!

Quote Originally Posted by Xellos_Moon View Post
    This is the most realistic scenario possible so lets go with this one...except for the dying part. Lets say Alexander and the muslim guy met in the field after the exchange.

My vote goes for alexander because Ibn Ai-Walid only fights for a deity while Alexander believes he is one...
    That's not a valid reason though, its more of an observation.

Just for the sake of Argument, I'd say Al-Walid.
    Because he was able to defeat armies much heavier and larger than his.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by sarry View Post
    That's not a valid reason though, its more of an observation.

Just for the sake of Argument, I'd say Al-Walid.
    Because he was able to defeat armies much heavier and larger than his.
    Guagamela.... ahem what?
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Battle of Yarmouk?
    Last edited by Morbius Sire; December 14, 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast