Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Parliament of the UKA

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Second Parliament of the UKA

Prime Minister: William Hall (National Republican)

House of Lords:

Lord High Chancellor: Duke John I Chevalier of Pennsylvania

Lords: 34, including:
    Duke John I Chevalier of Pennsylvania
    Duke William I Olson of Delaware
    Margrave Nestor I Weatherby of The Northwest

(NOTE: The way the Lords work is this - each of the player Lords control 1/3 of the NPC Lords, meaning Kip & Marsh control 11 each and Dan, as leader of the HoL, controls 12)

House of Commons:

Seats:

National Republicans:
    56 seats (including Prime Minister W. Hall)
    Federalists: 51 seats (including T. Sigiswald)
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; October 23, 2010 at 05:59 PM.

Default Re: Second Parliament of the UKA

William Hall stands and presents an addition to the Magna Carta Americanum

I - The King of America is entitled to the free public practice of his chosen religion, however, he may not ordain any state religion or persecute members of a differing faith.
    II - The power of the people will remain secured by the establishment of a unicameral congress (to be called parliament, or perhaps senate) with representatives to be voted on by the general population to represent their interests.
    III - The monarch shall have the power to create legislation for review and vote by congress, appoint judges to the supreme court
    with House of Commons approval, appoint his own advisers, appoint governors, declare war with House of Commons approval, and veto legislation.
    IV - Should a royal line go extinct in the future, the people have the right to vote on a new monarch.
    V - The monarch shall have full control over the armed forces of the United States.
    VI - This proposal can be amended at any time with the standard 2/3 majority procedure.
    VII - The House of Commons may override the House the Lords with a 2/3 majority.
    Elasticity clause - All other powers not aforementioned belong to the
    monarch People.

This is now open for Discussion.

ooc; dont know why there's a quote separating it.
    Last edited by Celsius; October 24, 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Mr. Sigswald only votes for the Second Amendment, in which the bill is amended so that a declaration of war must receive house of Commons approval. All other amendments are voted against.

"Mr. Sigiswald, perhaps we can come to a compromise. Since we both agree on the 2nd amendment, would you be willing to support the 3rd Amendment as well if the others were dropped?"

'I would accept the third amendment, if said vote was revised to a unanimous one.'

This is acceptable. The New Version of the Addition is here presented.
    I - The King of America is entitled to the free public practice of his chosen religion, however, he may not ordain any state religion or persecute members of a differing faith.
    II - The power of the people will remain secured by the establishment of a unicameral congress (to be called parliament, or perhaps senate) with representatives to be voted on by the general population to represent their interests.
    III - The monarch shall have the power to create legislation for review and vote by congress, appoint judges to the supreme court,
    appoint his own advisers, appoint governors, declare war with House of Commons approval, and veto legislation.
    IV - Should a royal line go extinct in the future, the people have the right to vote on a new monarch.
    V - The monarch shall have full control over the armed forces of the United States.
    VI - This proposal can be amended at any time with the standard 2/3 majority procedure.
    VII - The House of Commons may override the House the Lords with a Unanimous Vote.
    Elasticity clause - All other powers not aforementioned belong to the
    monarch.
    The National Republicans Vote Yes, but wait for all others to vote before sending to the House of Lords.

The Feds vote for the new Amendments.

"Well Mr. Sigiswald, seems the Lords are against us on this one. A Private discussion with you if I may?"

ooc; see PM

Mr. Sigiswald presents a new bill for the Common's vote.

Manifest Destiny Act

I. The foundation of claims on the Continent of North America by the United Kingdom of America - Ranging from the Eastern Seaboard, to the Pacific Ocean, and all lands, peoples, and states in between these stated points

II. The Justification of the expansion of the United Kingdom, and the Anglo-Saxon race, culture, and customs into all lands not already controlled by said nation.

III. The adoption of the Belief that Providence has given the United Kingdom of America a mission to spread American Government, Law, and Justice, to all of aforementioned lands.

IIII. The non-recognition and over-riding of all foreign claims on all lands granted by Providence to the United Kingdom of America.
    Last edited by Watercress; October 25, 2010 at 04:40 PM.

"What of the Native in these lands Mr. Sigiswald? Will there be land set aside for them or will they be extradited from them?"

'That shall be left until a point where a decision is needed - For now, we shall follow the same policy we have had in our settlement ventures in the west.'

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

"I see. Just one more question. I would advise that their be a clause stating that the UKA can not guarantee the safety of a settler if they enter Native territory."

'Very Well.'

Manifest Destiny Act

I. The foundation of claims on the Continent of North America by the United Kingdom of America - Ranging from the Eastern Seaboard, to the Pacific Ocean, and all lands, peoples, and states in between these stated points

II. The Justification of the expansion of the United Kingdom, and the Anglo-Saxon race, culture, and customs into all lands not already controlled by said nation.

III. The adoption of the Belief that Providence has given the United Kingdom of America a mission to spread American Government, Law, and Justice, to all of aforementioned lands.

IV. The non-recognition and over-riding of all foreign claims on all lands granted by Providence to the United Kingdom of America.

V. The United Kingdom of America cannot guarantee the safety of any citizen or settler of the United Kingdom if they are to enter Native territory.

"Discussion is hereby closed if the Opposition Agrees and voting will commence."

"I would also like to propose a new....position it would seem in the House of Commons and the House of Lords."

The Loyal Opposition Act
    Loyal opposition is applied to the opposition parties in the House of Commons and the House of Lords of the United Kingdom of America to indicate that the non-governing parties may oppose the actions of the sitting cabinet – typically comprising parliamentarians from the party with the most seats in the elected legislative chamber – while maintaining loyalty to the source of the government's power. The concept thus permits the dissent necessary for a functioning democracy, as the policies of the governing cabinet can be challenged without fear of charges of treason against the state.

The Party in Opposition elects a Leader to Represent them in Government as a Prime Minister does for the Majority Party. An Opposition leader must be elected in both the House of Lords and the House of Commons. This is to provide security to the American People to dissolve any from of Triumvirate between the Commons, Lords and the Monarch. The Opposition Leader is elected by Majority Vote.

'Will said Opposition Leader have any legislative, executive, or judicial powers other than within his own party?'

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

"In reality, no. But the Opposition Leader will be like the Secondary Prime Minister. He can make a cabinet that can advise him and his party. This idea is like a secondary government within the government to make sure the American people will always have a voice.."

'Ah, i see. I vote for this act. Shall you be casting vote for Manifest Destiny?'

"Ah yes."

National Republicans vote Yes to both the Manifest Destiny Act as well as the Loyal Opposition Act. Both are Unanimously sent to the House of Lords.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Ohio petitions Parliament for statehood.

In addition, the government has yet to address the massive issue of Reconstruction and Civil Rights in the south, and news of the latest and (so far) worst episode of violence in the South has made its way up north at last...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast