Thread: How much time do you invest in your AAR?

Default How much time do you invest in your AAR?

Having just completed my first AAR, I'm curious as to how much people spend time preparing their AAR. Whether you have an ongoing one, or have finished one in the past.

I had a 1 : 2 ratio as far as Playing : Preparing AAR. I generally spent twice as long preparing pics, writing the report, uploading the pics, and posting to the forums than I did actually playing. I did take a lot of pics, though.

How about you?

Default Re: How much time do you invest in your AAR?

That 1:2 ratio is probably right, although in my case it is more like 1:3. My AAR is also picture-heavy with a lot of editing, but the real time taker is writing up the story (party because the first person perspective).

Yeah, I'd say between 1:2 and 1:3. I spend a lot of time editing pics, particularly family trees and general cards. I also spent a couple hours today figuring out how to change banners for something I've been thinking of trying but may not even use in the AAR.

Probably 1:1 for my Lithuania (Order of Perkunas) one, as I spend lots of time with the horse archers (not paused, mind you - speed 1) and only the most ideal of "unit taking huge losses and splattering blood everywhere" make it into the AAR.

Same for the Teutonic Anarchists, except this time it's the time involved in laying 12 ladders to convince the AI to square camp - and then slowly killing everyone in the square by firing squad (crossbow militia - helps to kill their general and use fire arrows so they can't leave without routing back in). Very long settlement assaults - whereas with Lithuania I usually cheese it by walking in to settlements. Again, only the best blood splatter pictures make it though (and fire arrows, o_O)

That said, I delete and cut pictures fast, and usually already know what I'm gonna write as I watch the shiny Romans get shot horribly to death. (Or Russians, or Poles or Hungarians).
    Spoiler for Bandwidth Exceeded

Last edited by Alavaria; October 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

ChivalrousKiller's Avatar Domesticus

1:3 seems correct, I use a lot of time editing screens, but the writing doesn't take long

Good question.
    It's interesting to compare that ratio.

I would say that mine is 1:5 or 1:6, but it is because of 2 specific aspects:
    - I have a first person AAR and I enjoy going into details, plots and alternative story, so it means that one hour of game provide me a lot to imagine external actions, feelings, plots, twists,...

- Even if I'm used with editing (I don't mean that I'm a good editor but that I know the buttons I am going to use), I spent some times with my pictures, and most particularly uploading them. (I hate it by the way...

Usually,
    I write a story line,
    I play,
    I imagine ideas to link my game with my previous story line (DLV provide a lot of twists and it is quite a sport to include them in the story )
    I edit my pictures
    I write the story, following the pictures edited.

I believe I've played maybe 1.5h on my latest campaign, and yesterday's chapter was written during the course of an hour and today's was done over maybe three (counting my downtime checking historical facts and the like), so, yeah.

My working process is quite similar to la coupe's, but I usually come up with my storyline ingame, though I've got some specific things planned out beforehand.

How long I spend playing depends how easy it is to make something dramatic happen depending on my campaign position. My writing is done on and off, over the course of a number of hours.
    Is she... you know...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ?