Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: WW1 RESEARCH THREAD **QUOTES NEEDED**

Default Re: WW1 RESEARCH THREAD - GREECE AND NETHERLANDS ADDED

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    lol i know! they are true landships! i love the british one the most

German SPG yes?
    That is the flaw in your theory, gentlemen and I will not help you out of it. If you choose to deal with men by means of compulsion, do so. But you will discover that you need the voluntary co-operation of your victims, in many more ways than you can see at present. And your victims should discover that it is their own volition - which you cannot force - that makes you possible. I choose to be consistent and I will obey you in the manner you demand. Whatever you wish me to do, I will do it at the point of a gun. If you sentence me to jail, you will have to send armed men to carry me there - I will not volunteer to move. If you fine me, you will have to seize my property to collect the fine - I will not volunteer to pay it. If you believe that you have the right to force me - use your guns openly. I will not help you to disguise the nature of your action. -Hank Rearden

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Lol nice i actually found that Italy had self propelled arty, which is pretty odd but cool...

REQUEST:

I need some reference images for barbed wire in ww1, preferably various designs from the various nations.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Lol nice i actually found that Italy had self propelled arty, which is pretty odd but cool...

REQUEST:

I need some reference images for barbed wire in ww1, preferably various designs from the various nations.
    You know how in every war movie to date, where the training sequence has recruits crawling under lines of barbed wire while having live rounds fired overhead? That came from WW1..

British engineers setting up barbed wire

Last edited by Whukid; May 19, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
    That is the flaw in your theory, gentlemen and I will not help you out of it. If you choose to deal with men by means of compulsion, do so. But you will discover that you need the voluntary co-operation of your victims, in many more ways than you can see at present. And your victims should discover that it is their own volition - which you cannot force - that makes you possible. I choose to be consistent and I will obey you in the manner you demand. Whatever you wish me to do, I will do it at the point of a gun. If you sentence me to jail, you will have to send armed men to carry me there - I will not volunteer to move. If you fine me, you will have to seize my property to collect the fine - I will not volunteer to pay it. If you believe that you have the right to force me - use your guns openly. I will not help you to disguise the nature of your action. -Hank Rearden

BrotherSurplice's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Whukid View Post

German SPG yes?
    Isn't that one from WW2? It looks an awful lot like an Elephant SPG.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherSurplice View Post
    Isn't that one from WW2? It looks an awful lot like an Elephant SPG.
    Yea it was my attempt at humor Its a Ferdinand Tank Destroyer, or the forerunner to the elefant. The Difference is that the Elefant has a different commanders hatch and a bow machinegun mount.

Yea it was my attempt at humor Its a Ferdinand Tank Destroyer, or the forerunner to the elefant. The Difference is that the Elefant has a different commanders hatch and a bow machinegun mount.
    I see Lol, my bad at not getting your joke.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

I wonder if Germany would have won the war if they had those in 1914?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Wsq96 View Post

I wonder if Germany would have won the war if they had those in 1914?
    Quite possibly

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherSurplice View Post
    Quite possibly
    Hardly. An attack by all 90 of them built would fail for the following reasons:
    1st - 4 SPGs written out due to fires caused by a faulty fuel gasket and the fact that they tried to spark it while tilted.
    2nd - once the fires are put out and the charcoaled hulls removed from the concentration area, 18 of them would then break down due to mechanical malfunctions usually due to transmission failures. And since that meant you had to lift 30 or 40 tons of steel to get to them, they had to be towed to workshops away from the front. Since they didn't have anything capable of towing them, they had to tow each other so, 18 more SPGs miss the attack.
    3rd - once they get into attack position, a dozen more suffer catastrophic mechanic failures and so can only participate as fixed position artillery since they couldn't move(Damn those things were unreliable!).
    4th - On they way forward, some other 20 or so get without fuel which, since they were advancing in enemy territory, meant they couldn't be refuelled so they had to be destroyed by the Germans so that the allies wouldn't capture them.
    5th - still moving forward, 15 get bogged down in the mud due to their excessive weight in muddy conditions and another 10 step on landmines ruining their tracks. That wouldn't be so bad except these guys tracks weight two tons per section... meaning they could only be refitted in non-front workshops. since they didn't have any Bergepanthers to pull them out, they had to be bbqed by their crews to avoid enemy capture. Luckily the enemy launched a heavy arty barrage meaning those bogged down were rapidly being burnt so the crews saved precious fuel.
    6th - From the last remaining three, 2 are ambushed by infantry they didn't see (since their FOV was terrible) and blown to pieces and the last one blows a fortress or a couple of MarkIVs to smithereens before the Ferdinand himself gets ditched by it's crew by any of the problems mentioned above. Meanwhile the German state managed to ruin itself on account of this expense and has now to eat shoes.

Oh and our friends left towing eachother to the back, last I heard the mechanics of the Ferdinand already taxed to the max by the weight of one of them also gave in with the extra weight so they had to burn them.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by mAIOR View Post
    1st - 4 SPGs written out due to fires caused by a faulty fuel gasket and the fact that they tried to spark it while tilted.
    2nd - once the fires are put out and the charcoaled hulls removed from the concentration area, 18 of them would then break down due to mechanical malfunctions usually due to transmission failures. And since that meant you had to lift 30 or 40 tons of steel to get to them, they had to be towed to workshops away from the front. Since they didn't have anything capable of towing them, they had to tow each other so, 18 more SPGs miss the attack.
    3rd - once they get into attack position, a dozen more suffer catastrophic mechanic failures and so can only participate as fixed position artillery since they couldn't move(Damn those things were unreliable!).
    4th - On they way forward, some other 20 or so get without fuel which, since they were advancing in enemy territory, meant they couldn't be refuelled so they had to be destroyed by the Germans so that the allies wouldn't capture them.
    5th - still moving forward, 15 get bogged down in the mud due to their excessive weight in muddy conditions and another 10 step on landmines ruining their tracks. That wouldn't be so bad except these guys tracks weight two tons per section... meaning they could only be refitted in non-front workshops. since they didn't have any Bergepanthers to pull them out, they had to be bbqed by their crews to avoid enemy capture. Luckily the enemy launched a heavy arty barrage meaning those bogged down were rapidly being burnt so the crews saved precious fuel.
    6th - From the last remaining three, 2 are ambushed by infantry they didn't see (since their FOV was terrible) and blown to pieces and the last one blows a fortress or a couple of MarkIVs to smithereens before the Ferdinand himself gets ditched by it's crew by any of the problems mentioned above. Meanwhile the German state managed to ruin itself on account of this expense and has now to eat shoes.

Oh and our friends left towing eachother to the back, last I heard the mechanics of the Ferdinand already taxed to the max by the weight of one of them also gave in with the extra weight so they had to burn them.

Cheers...
    On the upside, no vehicles were ever recorded destroyed by enemy fire only mines and mechanical faliures

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

On the upside, no vehicles were ever recorded destroyed by enemy fire only mines and mechanical faliures
    Take a closer look

But most of them would have been lost before the engaging the enemy,right?
    That sucks.

But I wonder how it would have gone if the Germans had the Bismarck, without technical problems and with the necessary means of supplying it?
    Last edited by Jokern; May 20, 2011 at 01:38 PM.

Take a closer look
    I meant historically they never lost a Ferdinand to enemy fire during Operation Citadelle, only mines and mechanical failures..

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.Wsq96
    But most of them would have been lost before the engaging the enemy,right?
    That sucks.

But I wonder how it would have gone if the Germans had the Bismarck, without technical problems and with the necessary means of supplying it?
    Mehh, its possible, however I think they'd have done much better with the Type VIIC U-boat

And this behemoth

Patrician

You know how in every war movie to date, where the training sequence has recruits crawling under lines of barbed wire while having live rounds fired overhead? That came from WW1..

British engineers setting up barbed wire

Thats what i was looking for thanks man + rep

Patrician

REQUEST

Ok this time i need pics of earthworks surrounding artillery, preferably for the larger guns and even for mgs too if you can find any.

Here's one with a british mg.

And also, the French soldiers had a light-blue cover on their kepis. The officers didn't.
    Last edited by Jokern; May 21, 2011 at 03:31 AM.

Frist of all i would like to say hi to all working on this fantastic mod (and everybody o reads this) second i´m portuguese so mi english isen´t all that good third I wold like to make a few sugestions in regard to the portuguese army in the mod, unlike all the other sugestions of using the P.E.C as a base for the amy I have a diferent idea: using the colonial troops as the Portuguese army why? frist it´s more accurat since the metropolitan army was sent tho Africa and the metropolitan army was the regular army second I really like the helmets of the colonial troops tho wich i will refer to as P.P (Portuguese Pickelhaube) and tird and last reson whi i think the colonial troops should be the main army: is that the P.E.C can become a sort of elite infantry.

While i´m at it I mith as well say a few suggestions for other things
    Frist the tanks I bilive that tanks (if they can be implemented) for all nations o diden´t have tanks at the time in history should be given FT-17´s why because they were bilt in masse (araund 3000) second i just don´t the brit´s giving anybody anything.
    Second i think that tanks should be divided in to female and male type tanks , female tanks only have machinguns, male only have cannos
    Last but not least to give little bit of patriotisom for every contry´s tank´s the should have the respective roundel.

And that concludes my suggestions good luck to yuo all

Cheers...
    Oh . . . well that clears that up then

I meant historically they never lost a Ferdinand to enemy fire during Operation Citadelle, only mines and mechanical failures..

Mehh, its possible, however I think they'd have done much better with the Type VIIC U-boat

And this behemoth

Yeah, they really could have messed our up if they had the Type VIIC U-boat. Not so sure about the King Tiger though. Weren't those things really expensive and really unreliable? Not to mention that they would be a to keep supplied.

EDIT: Crap, sorry, double post