Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kronicka Polska - A Series of Polish AAR's - Part 1 - Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Default Teuton Invasion -

Now, my Lord, the year following the sack of Victus Baltia was one of peace again to the Venedii, if only for a short time. Bountiful riches and wealth did Gorzyislav return with to his homelands. And for a time, it did seem that the Venedii had pacified the more wild tribes to the north-west and east of their lands. Yet there was many rumblings in the world and many great peoples were on the move.

Map - circa 439 AD
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The year of four thirty-nine saw much in the ways of emissaries come to the Venedii. First came a delegation of emissaries from far-flung Sarmatia of the Bulgars, sent by their Kampaganos or king to meet with the Venedii on the frontiers of their lands. From whence they came, these strange peoples did not say and were hesitant to enter into the Venedii lands, preferring to meet along its borders.

The Bulgars were a warlike people who are said to flay their slain enemies and make coverings of their skins for themselves and their horses. It is said that they neither plough nor cottage, for they live on flesh and milk, and dwell in great wagons and on horseback. It was also said that the Bulgars had no true home but would settle a region until all the grass was consumed and then they would shift their quarters elsewhere. Thus their lives were spent in the saddle as it was deemed a disgrace to walk and were by all instruction skillful and expert horsemen. But to these tales the Bulgar spoke little of themselves.

Some trade was accomplished but the Bulgars spoke little of themselves and the scant meetings that winter proved lacking in any substance. And with little trade that could be garnered, the Bulgars disappeared from whence they came.

[Out of Game Notes: I was able to secure trade agreements with the Bulgars but could not trade map information with them, so was left wholly in the dark as to their location or homelands]

Next came emissaries of the king of the Ostrogoths to the south. There the Ostrogoths had expanded in Illyria and had already begun to push northwards against smaller innumerous tribes of the Lazyges, along the southern frontiers of the Langobardi. It seemed the Ostrogoths meant to enlarge their narrow bounds in the south at the expense of the weaker Lazyges and brought open war to them with fire and sword. Even as the men of the Ostrogoth king sat with the starosta of the Venedii, there was talk of war to the south and the march of many Ostrogoth warriors into the lands of the Lazyges. Yet little did this matter to the Venedii for that was the other side of the world to them , far removed it seemed from their tiny sheltered island in the north.

The lands beyond the eastern borders of the Venedii were still the lands of the Veltae and Gundanes yet beyond that was said to lay the immeasurable and uncultivated wastes of the cold steppes. And it was here that the first Huns were driven, crossing the vast steppes to settle first in the river and forested valleys far beyond Victus Baltia. In that year, my Lord, the first of the Huns pressed through the Polesie Marshes which the Venedii long considered to be an impenetrable girdle on their eastern borders.

Yet this first meeting was bountiful for both people profited immediately by this chance encounter and opened a new world to both peoples. Much trade was brokered yet the appearance on the eastern fringes sent worry and fear among the Venedii, for these people were unlike any to have gone before them. Word soon spread of hideous visage of their swarthy and cicatrized faces, their short and stout demeanor, the swiftness of their mounts and the skill of their archers.

But the Huns showed little in the desire of conquest and wished only peaceful trade with the Venedii, despite their horrifying demeanor.

In summer of that year, my Lord, it came to pass that Gorzyslav, starosta of the Boruscii people, took to him Biezdziad, a war chief of his clan as his adopted son, for though past his 30th year of birth, he had yet to marry and was childless. This new heir to the Boruscii would soon have his mettle tested in battle for it was that same summer that new invaders came to the lands of the Boruscii.

[

Teuton Raids
    While emissaries from far-flung lands came to the Venedii that year, savage Teutons from the beyond the Vistule marched on the Boruscii in the summer and crossed the river in secret. A Teuton named Etreleus led his men across the frontiers and, meeting no resistance, and proceeded towards Campus Borusci on a mission of rape and pillage.

Biezdziad was immediately dispatched from Campus Borusci in the summer with the intension to defeat the invaders. He caught up with the invaders and attempted to corner them into battle yet the Teutons did not wish for battle and fell back from their advance on the town. Wary of a trap yet scornful of the enemy’s cowardliness, Biezdziad gave pursuit until the Teutons were cornered at Gvozd Forest.

The two forces met in battle along a low valley flanked by deep forest to either side. The Teutons arrayed their men in two ranks, with bow-armed swordsmen (being the majority of their men) in front in two ranks deep and Etreleus and his hand-picked warriors in the rear.
    Biezdziad formed his men in a simple formation and ordered his men forward, with his Borcje and Voje in the front. Within moments, his men came under murderous archery fire and men began to fall from the ranks even as they marched forward. Thus Biezdziad then ordered his konnica round his flank to sweep the archers from the field.

Surely the very sight of facing the mass of Venedii horsemen would have terrified lesser men, but the Teutons confidently formed up in deeper ranks to prepare for the charge. The konnica drove into the mass of swordsmen, only to see their momentum blunted and their charge halted completely. From behind their ranks, the Teutons stabbed at horse and rider alike with their swords. The konnica began to fall back from the enemy, leaving over half their men on the field in front of the Teuton ranks.

As the Boruscii horsemen fell back, a cheer rose from the Teuton ranks and they drew back their bows once more to rain down arrows on the advancing Boruscii men. Yet the sacrifice of the konnica allowed Biezdziad to close with the enemy and with a final command, he sent his borcje and voje forward in charging wall of spear, axe and shield.

Under such an assault, the enemy archers began to give ground until Etreleus himself led his men forward to enter the fray and was able to stem the bowing of his front ranks, but it was a trap. Voje not yet engaged were now swung round the enemy flank to fall heavily upon the Teutons on both sides. Pressed from the front and sides at once, the Teutons soon continued to give ground once more until the enemy wavered and began to flee from the field.

Like a burst dam, the Teutons turned to run, only to be hewed down by the pursuing Boruscii warriors. Sensing victory at last, Biezdziad ordered his horsemen forward to finish the enemy off and the retreat turned to a full rout. The enemy was cut down as they vainly tried to flee the battlefield and Etreleus himself was hacked down as he too fled the field.

Last edited by Brucha; May 03, 2011 at 11:02 AM.

1. Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem - When the Sun was a God (using Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod) - currently playing

Default Re: Kronicka Polska - A Series of Polish AAR's - Part 1 - Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem

This is brilliant Brucha!

I love the art depictions and the description of the Bulgars

Are the Huns powerful around where you are or in the game?

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Kronicka Polska - A Series of Polish AAR's - Part 1 - Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    This is brilliant Brucha!

I love the art depictions and the description of the Bulgars

Are the Huns powerful around where you are or in the game?
    Ha, ha, thank you Riothamus, but any more praise and my head will swell to at least twice its current size!

Strangely, all the factions around me (Langobardi, Huns, Ostrogoths) are all relatively weak from what I can see. None of their cities have four or fewer units in each, and several have only one-unit garrisons. Perhaps they have armies in the field that I cannot see...certainly, the Huns appear very weak at the moment and control only four cities total (I was able to trade maps with the Huns, Ostrogoths and Langobardi).

I have seen military action from the Ostrogoths only, trying to push into rebel territory between them and the Langobardi, but everyone else seems content (for now) to disavow any expansions beyond their borders. Yet even with this Ostrogoth attack, it is a very weak attempt at an attack. The rebel city has a 4-unit garrison, and the AI laid seige to it with a captain-commanded army of only three units. And remember that I am playing at H/H difficulty settings......

With the two recent military campaigns against the rebels on my borders, they too seem altogether weakened now as well. One very weird thing is that two rebel cities near modern-day Denmark are showing as being my allies?!? I did not know that rebel-controlled cities could do that?

Thus far, I am dominating the region in the game. I recieved the pop-up my last turn showing that I am the richest nation in the game. I thought that my position would be more perilous that it has been, and was expecting invasions from all directions, but I have had to face off against rebels only. But, with the 4 tpy script running, this game has just begun. I expect that many things could change rather quickly - or at least I hope so.

1. Kiedy Storice Bylo Bogiem - When the Sun was a God (using Rio's FLAGELLVM DEI mod) - currently playing

From what the map looks like, If your playing the 463 Main campaign, then that region is bit space. If the 463AD campaign then that region has a void from the Hunnic demise. The Longobardi take time to develop and the Huns are weak from a now dissipated empire. The Ostrogoths, Bulgars and Franks will spread toward you but it will take some time but when they do look out

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Default Strife in the North

Laonicus Chalcondyles of Athens desires, wishes and prays that Theodosius II, the unconquerable emperors of the Romans, and the most glorious Aglaia flourish, prosper and be triumphant.

Let it be known that, on the 33rd year of my Lord’s reign, fourteen hundred and forty-one, I and my companions, those being Apasios, and Genesios the bearer of the presents, and Ktenas of Athens the dragoman, and the boy Leo, my pupil and student, embarked once more on a caravan with a rich and varied cargo of merchandise and bountiful gifts bound for the lands of the Venedae in the far north. Glad I was to return in my Lord’ service to the lands of the starosta , for it had been two years since my last visit to that savage land. Yet there was much more for your humble servant to relate to your lordship as to the goings-on in the north.

On the fourth of November we arrived at Campus Venedae and waited with our horses in heavy rain outside the starosta's hall until five o’clock in the afternoon. At sundown Radzim, starosta of the Venedii ordered us to be admitted for there was much coming and goings into the starosta's hall and many men were seen marshaling all about the town. But this I will relate to my Lord in a moment.

Being introduced to the presence of the starosta , we were well received by him with the condescension and affability that belonged to his character and position of straosta. We were entertained with feasts and honoured with other marks of distinction. And he thus entered graciously into conversation with us, and made earnest inquiries on the subject of my Lord’s realm. Being well instructed and discreet men, we gave appropriate answers upon all these points, for it seemed that the starosta was probing us for much information about my Lord’s Empire, how justice was administered, how my Lord conducted himself in warfare and various affairs of state.

Now, my Lord, let me tell you of Radzim of the Venedii. He is a monstrosity of a man, fat-headed and disfigured by facial scars of a warlike nature and disgraced by the close bristles of his beard that is half-going grey and a stout, squat pig-like nose. Hirsute beyond recognition, his dark hair hangs in long lengths down his back from which peek underneath tiny, fox-like eyes.

Though a formidable and brave warrior in the field, Radzim would seem more appropriate tilling a field than commanding men in battle, for of the earth he is a lover of everything. And yet in more subtle matters of governance he is skilled as a natural. And never far from his side are his lamia crone Asuui, his most trusted advisor and Mettuis a Roman turncoat in the starosta's service.

Of some note I must inform my Lord that in the spring of four thirty-nine, Ramis, wife of Radzim, starosta of the Venedii, became pregnant and gave birth to a son. And this was held as glad tidings for it is said that Radzim, on the birth of his daughter, Othelhids, wept and beseeched the gods not blessing him with a son first. Yet the gods did thus favour him and Strogobor, his son, was born to rule when the starosta was no more.

On the following eve Radzim ordered me again to be his guest for there was much he wished to speak of with me. Treating me as worthy to be placed above all his wiec advisors and war leaders, I sat first from him and dined. At the dinner, which was fairly disgusting and foul, washed down with heavy oils after the fashion of drunkards and moistened also with an exceedingly foul goat’s milk liquor, the starosta probed me with many more questions concerning your power, your dominions, and your army. My answers were sober and truthful as they could be and I was curious as to the nature of these questions for they seemed singular in their direction. But I awaited for the starosta to relate to me the reasons for such. And come the answers did.

I have written to my Lord of the events transpiring during my first stay amongst the Venedii, but I must now relate of things pertaining to the events during my absence from Radzim’s halls.

In that period of my return to my Lord’s presence, a great agitation arose around the lands of the Venedii. For two great barbarous kings arose, holders of wide lands and many peoples, stood on the brink of becoming each other’s enemies and with much rancor stirred the flames of discontent over a small and insignificant settlement along their mutual frontiers.

Map - Circa 441 AD
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

First the Ostorgoths marched north into the lands of the Lazyges to subdue them and make them achieve reconciliation with the Ostrogoth king at Campus Herules in four thirty-nine. But they dishonored the Ostrogoth forces and did not heed the king’s intercession and instead ridiculed the besiegers who had been sent against them. And thus the Ostrogoths broke off the siege and returned home, their hands empty and head hung low.

For their part, the Langobardi king was severely enraged at the move by the Ostrogoths and with great anger and wrath sent south against the Lazyges his son, Eraric, in the fall of four forty-one. And they too were repulsed by the brave Lazyges after a siege of only three months.

And yet, the Langobardi made great strides to the west and north, having subjugated the lands of the Carini to the north and the independent tribes of the Franks to the west. And now, Radzim looked to his western frontiers to see the Langobardi now encircling his lands in a great crescent.

And to the east, there came more unsettling news. First, in the fall of four forty-one, the Bulgars once again sent emissaries to the Venedii lands, but this time seeking Radim himself. The Bulgars sought trade with the Venedii starosta and pledges of alliance with the horsemen of the steppes. And yet Radzim was unimpressed and turned them down.

And so word reached the Venedii starosta that very summer that the Bulgars had allied with the dreaded Huns along the eastern frontiers of the Venedii and had become subjugated by them.

Last edited by Brucha; March 23, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    From what the map looks like, If your playing the 463 Main campaign, then that region is bit space. If the 463AD campaign then that region has a void from the Hunnic demise. The Longobardi take time to develop and the Huns are weak from a now dissipated empire. The Ostrogoths, Bulgars and Franks will spread toward you but it will take some time but when they do look out
    I am now in full agreement after my last AAR post Riothamus! I was far too confindent with the start of the game and now I might be in a desperate position. The Langobardi have expanded quite considerably and the alliance between the Huns and the Bulgars (along with the Bulgars now being a client kingdom to the Huns) creates a very tense situation.

It ia very hard to determine the exact strengths of everyone around me right now but I feel that I must act right away to stem a full-fledged invasion. However, I an unsure as how to act or whom I should turn on first. Any advise for me out there?

I am considering three approaches to the new developments:

1. Strike the Langobardi fast and furious and make an alliance with the Ostrogoths before the Huns begin advancing westwards. Try to inlcude the Franks in on the action. The goal would be to damage the Langobardi and slow their expansion down.

2, Continue my alliance with the Langobardi. Strengthen it by offering a 15-20 turn tribute of 500 gold per turn. Nothing can guarantee that the Langobardi will stay true to my alliance but the AI seems to do so if tribute is involved. Keep an eye on the Huns to the east and shift my forces to meet them should they attack. Go to war with whomever the Langobardi do to keep the alliance true.

3. Ally with the Huns and Langobardi, offering tribute as above and hope that everyone battles it out amongst themselves and leave sme alone.

Strike to kill. When in doubt, attack anyway.

Boycott boycotts!'

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Brucha View Post

2, Continue my alliance with the Langobardi. Strengthen it by offering a 15-20 turn tribute of 500 gold per turn. Nothing can guarantee that the Langobardi will stay true to my alliance but the AI seems to do so if tribute is involved. Keep an eye on the Huns to the east and shift my forces to meet them should they attack. Go to war with whomever the Langobardi do to keep the alliance true.

3. Ally with the Huns and Langobardi, offering tribute as above and hope that everyone battles it out amongst themselves and leave sme alone.
    A little of both, I would do what it takes to stay out of war though, only fight when you can guarantee victory. The alliance with Huns and Langobardi is good, AI will attack you eventually anyway, if you border it. So you don't want to be giving your future enemy your hard earned plunder. Try to contiued raids, perhaps venture further, attack somebody not too close, where not expected.
    "He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight. He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces. He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared. He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign".
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Signature made by Joar

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"He will win who has a minigun" - Me

I agree with constantius though. A little bit of TLBKA - Trade, Lies, Bribery, and Kick Ass
    You always need a little of everything in that game, but being a self-trained strategist and military tactician I prefer an offensive flanking approach, with a 3rd army to feint like it's coming up the middle and then suddenly shift left/right so the divided enemy forces are overwhelmed on one side and then again on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ☧ Flavius Aëtius ☧ View Post
    "He will win who has a minigun" - Me

I agree with constantius though. A little bit of TLBKA - Trade, Lies, Bribery, and Kick Ass
    You always need a little of everything in that game, but being a self-trained strategist and military tactician I prefer an offensive flanking approach, with a 3rd army to feint like it's coming up the middle and then suddenly shift left/right so the divided enemy forces are overwhelmed on one side and then again on the other.
    Yes, but at the moment I think his troops are a little thin on the ground

Signature made by Joar

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yes, I've noticed that too. Maybe simple harassment? That worked in real life (Attila's 452 Campaign) and in the game it works even better if you have a good general.

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by constantius View Post
    A little of both, I would do what it takes to stay out of war though, only fight when you can guarantee victory. The alliance with Huns and Langobardi is good, AI will attack you eventually anyway, if you border it. So you don't want to be giving your future enemy your hard earned plunder. Try to contiued raids, perhaps venture further, attack somebody not too close, where not expected.
    That is what I was leaning towards as a strategy - I tend to be a much better defender than an attacker in battles, and perfer to have the AI attack my position. The alliance with both the Huns and Langobardi is my best bet and, although I won't be able to keep the alliance for ever, chances are both will not declare war at the same time. I am hoping that the Franks or Ostrogths go to war with the Langobardi, but it sucks that the Bulgars wimped out and became a client state to the Huns.

Quote Originally Posted by constantius View Post
    Yes, but at the moment I think his troops are a little thin on the ground
    As Constantius stated above, I have only two armies right now, one in Campus Venedae and one in Campus Brousci - and each has a 7-unit stack plus two generals. I can't afford more than that right now, or perhaps maybe two more units each at most. However, against the Langobardi, I do have the protection of the Viadua River and they would have to cross at the bridges. Normally, for sake of fair play, I would not fight bridge battles since the AI is terrible at fighting these types of battle. But, since I am limiting myself to only two settlements (and thus much smaller armies), I will defend them.

Against the Huns, I have no such barrier and I really dread fighting horseman armies like the Huns. I will need lots of spearman units (ie, Borcje) to fight them. In a normal game, one or two losses can be recovered from but I have no room to fall back to should I lose a major battle, so each one will certainly count

So, we will see how the Slavs are at Machiavellian politics!

Yes, I've noticed that too. Maybe simple harassment? That worked in real life (Attila's 452 Campaign) and in the game it works even better if you have a good general.
    Yes, hit and run. Thats what I suggest, just raid deeper and deeper and get out before attacked. No long seiges. Thats what the Antes used to do to Romans before becoming foederati

Signature made by Joar

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Flavius Aëtius and constantius: I should make you both part pf my wiec for the game as my military advisors to the starosta!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

lol, well, at that time Aetius was dust and bones. Constantius... which one are we talking about here? Because it goes all the way up to 12 i think.

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Default Clouds of War

The Huns
    With my Lord’s blessing, let me now recount my journey with the emissaries of the starosta of the Venedii into the Hunnic lands to the east. There had been some contact between these two barbarous peoples and it did seen that Radzim wished above all else to extent his friendship to the Huns far to the east, beyond the Polesie Marshes. And so, in the summer of four forty-one, let it be known to my Lord that we departed with a small contingent of Venedii bound for the east. The starosta of the Venedii gave us for our journey four covered carts and two others to carry bedding to sleep on at night. And he did give us also five horses to ride and two of his men who drove the carts and looked after the oxen and horses. And with the carts came many great gifts for the Hunnic lords and chests full of gold to give over to the barbarians as a token of friendship with the Venedii.

We departed from Campus Venedae and arrived at Campus Borusci, which is a five-day ride for a sturdy traveller. Halting there for a time, my Venedii companions informed me that we would travel round the northern flanks of the Polesie Marshes and then towards Victus Baltia, which lies on the fringes of the lands claimed by the Hunnic barbarians.

On the 3rd of June, four forty-one, we reached the banks of the lower Vistula, which marked the western-most edge of the Hunnic territory and were compelled to wait so that Grodzislav, the starosta’s man, might go forward and inform the Huns of our arrival. And so we made camp and dined for the evening, and on the morrow we heard the sound of horses approaching, and two Huns arrived with Gordzislav with instructions that we were to accompany them forward and cross the river with them. With courtesy, we begged them to partake of our meal and they dismounted with great cheer. On the noon, under their guidance, we crossed the river and headed for Campus Kiev to the east.

Let me now relate to my Lord my impressions of the Huns at first glance. Much was said to us by our Venedii companions of the Huns, and those were enough to convince me that they were afraid of them. The Venedii spoke in whispers that every Hunnic boy was, at the very moment of birth, branded with hot iron upon the cheek and that they inspired great fear in their enemies. It is said that their hardiness is profound and that cruelty is commonplace, even to children, for they cut the cheeks of the males with a knife so that before they receive the nourishment of milk they must learn to endure wounds. Barbarous in all respects, they are a short, savage people, quick in movement, adept horsemen, broad-shouldered, ready with bow and sword, and though they live in the form of men, they have the cruelty of wild beasts.

And so on the second day we reached the Hunnic settlement. On a low plain, stood the town of Campus Kiev and to our shock, we saw a great grouping of tents outside the walls, for our guides told us that the Huns forsook shelter under roofed houses, but rather avoided them as things not fitted for use.

Again we were bade to wait and we did, unsure as the nature of the delay, for we expected a gentle and courteous invite from the barbarians, but our Hunnic guide now told us that his lord, Muyan, had bade us to depart if we had no true business with him . To this we were dejected but I spoke swiftly with our Hunnic guides proclaiming that we bore many presents for this Muyan from both my Lord and the starosta of the Venedii and that we wished nothing more than to conduce to the public interest of the two parties and interview. The Hunnic guide mounted his horse and rode swiftly into the encampment while we awaited the Hunnic reply.

As we awaited in a state of perplexity and anxiety, our Hunnic guide returned shortly to fetch us to guide us to Muyan’s tent, since we were now granted an audience to the Hunnic Lord’s tent.

In a simple tent, we found Muyan seated on a wooden chair, with pillows arrayed about him for sitting. My Lord, let me describe this Hun for you. He was a short, broad man, with a large, slightly elongated head, small piercing eyes, long hair and beard, a flat nose and tanned upon tanned skin. Surprisingly, the Hun was dressed quite modestly and I first mistook him for a Scythian at first glance. He wore simple, long trousers, soft riding boots (still caked with dried mud), a shirt with long sleeves that was closed crosswise at the front, a plain girdle, and a conic cap.

My Greek companions and I stood at first a little distance as Gordzislav advanced and praised and saluted the Hunnic lord. He spoke of the gifts that his starosta sent ahead of him and of the chests of gold meant as a tribute to the desire of true and lasting friendship between the Venedii and the Huns. There was much whispered talk among Muyan and his men and they gazed at us for some time beneath heavy lidded eyes. And then Muyan called aloud and praised us in kind, and saluted us with a mug of wine and offered us to sit and partake in a meal.

Long into the evening did both sides talk and converse and the Hunnic lord was very interested in the lands to the west and asked many questions to the starosta’s men. Of these questions, Gordzislav was well-guarded and spoke little, except to praise Muyan and his people and the friendships that was hoped to be forged between the Venedii and the Huns. Of the tribute offered the Venedii envoys, Muyan gladly accepted and Gordzislav extended to the Hunnic lord the promise of his starosta of a further tribute of 500 denarii for the next year so that their two people could keep anew the brotherhood that was brokered that evening.

For his part, Gordzislav related to Muyan of his lord’s desire for him to remain in the Hunnic court at Campus Kiev so that two both sides could learn more of each other, and to this the Hun agreed. To those of us ready to depart for the journey back, Muyan offered guides back across the river and to the fringes of the Hunnic lands and with us he sent many gifts to give to the starosta of the Venedii of the friendship that was forged that day.

The Breaking of a Brotherhood
    It was late October when my companions and I returned to Campus Venedae, and we were greeted by the starosta, Radzim, in his tent upon our arrival. For much of the evening, the starosta poured over all we could relate to him of our encounter with the Huns, and of the agreements that were agreed upon there. To the news, Radzim seemed much pleased and praised both his men and my companions and I, and he drank both to our health and to that of his new-found friendship with the Huns.

During the meal, there was much gossip and talk round the hall, for much had transpired during our absence. Word had come north of the breaking of the Langobardi siege on the town of Campus Herules and much was the speculation of border disputes arising between the Langobardi and Ostrogoths over this seemingly insignificant settlement. More sobering was the arrival of an emissary of the Langobardi king to Campus Venedae over the previous summer during our travels in the east. The starosta had wished, it seemed, to meet once more with his Langobardi allies and renew the bonds of friendship between the two peoples, but the negotiations did not bode well, and the Langobardi wished more to delay further negotiations and acted in such a defensive nature that the Langobardi emissary was sent forth from Radzim’s halls. And this was of ill-tidings to many and some even spoke secretly of war to come, yet no one spoke this aloud nor in the starosta’s presence.

And yet, there was hopeful news, the Langobardi king was dispatching his envoy once more to Campus Venedae the following spring at the behest of the starosta. But there was other talk, albeit much quieter, among some of the starosta’s men. Some men were beginning to note the subtle changes in their lord’s demeanor. Once considered a true warrior and brave leader on the field of battle among all his men, some began to whisper of the starosta’s new love of many things thought unfit for one such as him. There was talk of his bidding love of gambling and sport over duties of a starosta and of the decadent pleasures Radzim was exhibiting. Some whispered and glanced at my companions and I, placing blame on the softness of the foreigners in the starosta’s hall as an excuse for their lord’s change of late. Others half-humorously noted that their lord’s seemingly sense of inactivity would be the man’s favorite pastime, if only he could find the energy to do so.

Now, in the first week of spring of four forty-two, my Lord, we were informed of a great feast that was to be planned and thus an invitation to this banquet was afforded to my companions and I the following day. Indeed, for several days prior to the feast, there was a great coming and goings of peoples, all being ambassadors of the Langobardi king to be received during this feast.

We prepared ourselves for the feast and when the hour arrived we went away to the straosta’s hall, along with the embassies from the Langobardi king. In the hall, we took positions in the presence of Radzim and we each were given a cup so that we might greet the straosta in turn as he entered the hall. Having raised our cups we took our seats round the long table. Radzim sat the far end of the table, and a second chair was set behind him for Zyblut, his adopted son. The places to the right and left of the straosta were held chief in honour for the delegates of the Langobardi king , first-most myself and my companions who were seated second only to that of the Langobardi.

Of the Teutons, let me tell my Lord of my impressions of them. Their eyes are faint and pale, with a glimmer of greyish-blue. Their faces are shaven all round, and instead of beards they have long thin mustaches which they run through constantly with combs, but their hanf they wore long and thick. Of clothing, they wore close-fitting garments that confined their long limbs, but drawn up like a tunic to expose the knees, and a broad belt to support the waist. Openly and even in the starosta’s hall, they did suspend swords from baldrics girdled with studded deerskins. Slung over shoulders or stuck in their belts were barbed lances or throwing axes, as if it was their practice to be ready to fight at any moment, whether at home or (in this case the halls of a starosta) abroad, whenever occasion arose.

When all was arranged, servants came and brought Radzim a cup of wine. He took it, raising his glass to salute us each in precedence until all were thus greeted. When this was over, the servants returned to place food onto the table for all to see. The attendants brought dishes full of meats, and behind that came breads and wines and all were laid on the table for all. And thus a luxurious meal, served on silver and gold plates were arrayed for all the guests.

And then, Radzim stood from the table, glass in hand and spoke aloud to all, but especially to the representatives of his Langobardi allies.

‘The Venedii salutes you and as starosta of my people, I salute you and your king, for we are brothers him and I, if not for the absence of blood-ties between us. I have brought you here to accept these gifts for your king and to renew the bound of friendship between your people and mine.’

And with a wave of his hand, servants entered bearing chests filled with gold for the Langobardi king as a tribute to the everlasting friendship between the Teutons and the Venedii. But to this generosity, there came at first only silent from the Teuton delegation. And then the leader of the Teuton emissaries stood aloft and proud, his hand upon his sword and spoke.

‘Yes, we were brothers, starosta of the Venedii. But no more. We will not take your gold, for it is tainted with your lies and false friendship, a gift made by ill-speaking liars to fools. And we Langobardi are not fools! Take your blood money for we have no need of it, Radzim of the Venedii!’

Then Radzim’s men stood in the defense of their lord, and swords rang out, and I feard blood would be spilled there in the starosta’s halls. But the starosta lifted his hand and all grew silent.

‘I weep to hear your king’s words, for the Venedii wish only peace with our brethren to the south. And it for this friendship that I forgive your ill-manners in my halls and wish you safe on your return to your king, for it is not I that wishes that our bond to be broken. But to him I relate these words to your king: despite this discordance, I wish only peace. To breech a solemn vow of brotherhood and alliance are actions of a coward. But I will not break that oath, yet it is my duty as starosta and right by nature to glut our souls with vengeance should any rise with sword in hand against us. So take these words to your king and say this as well. Though he be my brother, I will defend my people and seek swift victory if the battle comes. For we Venedii let our courage rise to the need and will defend our lands to the very end.’

The Gathering Storm
    Now my Lord, with the departure of the emissaries of the Langobardi king, Radzim sent at once for Gorzyslav, the starosta of the Boruscii to the north. And in the summer of four forty-two, he took council with the wiec of Campus Venedae and the starosta of the Boruscii.

Much was discussed and much was listened to, for many tales were on the winds and none knew what was truth and what was not. There was talk of an invasion already underway to the south, and others pointed to the west and of the Huns of whom some said were already in league with the Langobardi. The starosta of the Boruscii called aloud for an immediate advance cross the Viadua River while others called for a march against the Huns to the east. But to this, Radzim dissented.

‘We are but a simple people and though we have pushed back hosts before bent upon invasion, we now face a most terrible foe. I wish not to land a blow in haste and in blindness should it fall short the mark for we know not what we face.’

And so riders and spies were sent about in all directions to gather what news they could. Slowly news returned to Campus Venedae over the summer and fall of that year. Venedii spies returned from the south with word of an Ostrogoth attack once more on the Lazyges town of Campus Herules, while others returned from the east with no news of the Huns, whom seemed ignorant of the actions of the Langobardi. All the while, a general call to arms was sounded among the Venedii, both north and south and scouts were placed all along the frontiers to watch for the march of foes. The starosta began to call up their men and slowly warriors began to gather both at Campus Borusci and Campus Venedae.

Fall turned to winter and yet little news was there to report back to the starosta in Campus Venedae. And then, my Lord, there came two revelations that turned the indecisiveness to a call for action.

First, news arrived in Radzim’s halls in the spring of four forty-two, from his spies in the south, that the Lazyges town of Campus Herules had fallen to the Ostrogoths. The Ostrogths had returned in force from the south to once more lay siege to the town. Following a siege of nearly a year's length, the town fell to the victorious Ostrogoths.

And in the same spring of four forty-three, a spy was uncovered in Campus Venedae itself, verily in the starosta's own halls, masquerading as a servant. Once captured and tortured, the man professed to have been sent by the Langobardi king.

Last edited by Brucha; March 29, 2011 at 03:34 AM.

Excellent read again. I knew it was just a matter of time! The Langobardi will attack within the year I fear! Do you know if they are at war with anyone else?

Signature made by Joar

Brucha's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Constantius View Post
    Excellent read again. I knew it was just a matter of time! The Langobardi will attack within the year I fear! Do you know if they are at war with anyone else?
    I thought the same, Constantius, and it did come true. In fact war has already begun with the Langobardi, but I must write the AAR's for the war to date. From my experience playing RtW, when a faction begins to act a certain way (like refusing generous offers of tribute), it is a sign that they will attack. Further more, when you catch a spy in a settlement of the same faction, you can bet there will be war.

They have no allies right now, and they at war with no other factions, but that may soon change. However I am in a terrible situation in the game with only two towns. It might very well happen that I am forced to horde just to survive. The next couple of turns will decide what direction my first game goes. Suffice to say I am fighting a losing battle against insurmountable odds. It will be fun nevertheless!
    Last edited by Brucha; March 29, 2011 at 03:32 AM.

I am sure it will go according to plan. Worst case scenario, you could always write some sort of cover story of vassaldom and then freedom, to lead into next era so to speak

Signature made by Joar

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Great Read. +rep!

You should cover some more major historical events of the 440s and 450s as well in you AARs, probably as news being sent to the king or something

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast